Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any help I just want to know if u can swap out that transmission and put in a different J35A1 series like from the mdx or from other j35a series the 2001 tran is aJ35a1 and the mdx is a J35a3 or can u swap any different tran beside the 2001 honda ody tran...that won't have any more problem...
U know how on some of the other honda like the civc and acura engine as long as it is the same series like b series or like on the civic it a D series u can swap the tran from a different year to a different year as long as the series r the same like d15a1 to a d15a2 can u do that on the ody engine J35A1..?

·
Registered
664 Posts
As long as its the same number of speeds it should be fine. However, if you go from 4 speed to 5 speed you will run into issues.

Also the 2001 isn't exactly a weak transmission. Honda just sent it out with crappy cooling and a not so great filter system.

Fix these two things and you shouldn't have problems.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I disagree with Greg on this one. The 2001 tranny does indeed have a design flaw which causes not enough fluid to reach the clutches there by causing excessive heat and problems with filteration as when hot the clutches disintegrate.

Instead of looking towards another model's tranny, get a Gator or a Jasper rebuild and call it a day is my advise.

Search on here for Jasper or Gator and you should have several threads with happy campers. Gator is more economical of the two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
help CAR problem

i think there something wrong with my tran
when i drive it the d4 light is going on and off
and when i step on the gas the N light will come on. it just start happening
when i put it to d4 and step on and gas the car idol for a bit
then it go into gear and it will go but when i'm driving sometime the car will just idol like it is in N..and when it does that the car seem to be like downshift or like the car will just stop for a bit the go.????...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
First check the transmission fluid level. If ok take it to someone who can read the transmission codes. Flashing D4 means there is a problem with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Posting new threads is not going to solve your transmission problem. Please stick to one thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
You are looking for a trans swap because you're having the trans problem. BTW. All the Honda V6 trannies from that time had problems so it doesn't matter what version you get. There are other trans swap threads on here and mostly the verdict has been stay with the type that came with your van as there are different trannies with 2001, 2002 not sure about 2004/2005/2006 and the 2007+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts