Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've installed numerous HID Kits for my friends but ran into trouble with a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The kit they ordered is an Avanti H4 (9003) from ebay. It came with 2 H4 bulbs (not bi-xenon, the type where the low beam is hid and right next to it on the same plug is a little halogen for the hi beam). After mounting the two ballasts and plugging in all the cables, the low beam HID won't power on but the hi beam will. I always thought these kits are supposed to include a relay harness that goes from the battery to each ballast for power. At the moment, each ballast is only plugged into the factory 3 prong plug for the factory bulbs. Is it possible that this ebay seller forgot to send us the harness, or am I forgetting something? There's the two wires from the HID bulb that go into the ballast, then the other wire plugs into the factory 3 prong plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to follow up on the issue, I finally got the HID's to work! The relay harness didn't seem to help, I did leave it installed though so the ballasts don't rely on the factory wiring for power. It looks like I just had to plug in the power wire to the ballast backwards. Although it didn't "click" tight, a little electrical tape will hold it in place. I did some more research and found out that some of these HID set-ups have the wiring backwards that will work in most cars, but not the Odyssey. Here's a sample pic I found on Google.
Example Photo.jpg

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Your HID setup is not "backwards", but the 2003 Ody is! Our Gen2 Odys use "negative switching". Instead of a common ground, and switched power to each filament, the Ody uses a common 12VDC positive, and switched ground to each filament. This will cause a "plug-and-play" bixenon kit to have its high beam indicator on at all times when either low (dipped) or high beams are selected for use.

OF

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I plugged everything in and nothing. I tried switching components around but there is no way that the kit could have 2 bad ballasts or 2 bad igniters. The odds of that were too great. I asked around and sure enough, flip the connector and they work. Nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on the issue, I finally got the HID's to work! The relay harness didn't seem to help, I did leave it installed though so the ballasts don't rely on the factory wiring for power. It looks like I just had to plug in the power wire to the ballast backwards. Although it didn't "click" tight, a little electrical tape will hold it in place. I did some more research and found out that some of these HID set-ups have the wiring backwards that will work in most cars, but not the Odyssey. Here's a sample pic I found on Google.
View attachment 11383
I have the same problem. Hid kit has a black and red wire only, but the factory plug is 3 prongs..how did you get your to work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts