Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member here.
We were having starting/battery issues w my 2019, 55k miles. We are original owners.
We replaced the battery Feb 19 at home w an AGM from Advance. Upon doing so the van started doing a very hesitated start. I would sometimes have to hold the button in 10seconds for it to start. Then it would finally kick in. It got to the point that it was harder & harder to get it to start. I took it to our mechanic that is a Honda mechanic. He ran every test he could. At one point we got a code for a O2 sensor, but that's fine. So we all came to the conclusion that it must be a bad battery from the store. I returned it, got another. They installed it & then absolutely nothing would happen. Not a light, not a sound, nothing but the start button being white & then blinking white.
I looked up as much as I could & found the info on turning the key to lock & unlock 4 times then starting it w the fob held to the start button. Finally got it started after about an hour & 8 or 9 attempts at putting in & taking out the battery.
I called Honda & they said there's nothing else to do but take the battery out & put new one in. I even explained the key/fob method & they said that's not a thing & I told her it was the only way it started so it must be.
I am so over this bull**** with Honda. I really wish I had gotten a Subaru 馃槶
Any ideas Honda Masters??

Registered
2023 Honda Odyssey Sport - Black/Black
Probably got a weaker battery than what is needed. I suggest getting the Honda Odyssey AGM battery that comes in touring and Elite. It has been enough amperage to correctly crank that motor.

Registered
I just replaced my battery in my 18 EX-L with an AGM battery from Napa auto parts. Thankfully no issues.

Sounds like a bad battery. If the car fails to start again, push the brake pedal all the way down for 30 seconds then hit the start button. That will reset the system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have the highest rated AGM battery. We also have gotten 2 batteries believing the 1st was a bad battery. I have held the brake pedal down & pushed start. Ive tried multiple things as such. That's why it is such an upsetting issue & Honda doesn't have a clue, never heard of it so they can't fix it. We are basically screwed it seems, according to Honda.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have taken it to our mechanic, he is certified Honda mechanic. I have talked with 2 dealership service depts a couple times. I have discussed w service manager at our purchase dealership & talked to the customer satisfaction (?) manager. NObody has a clue. And I even called Honda to try to file a complaint in case this ends up turning into a recall. That was a 30min headache call.
$75 diagnostic fee is charged at the dealer. Honda rep told me to get a few diagnosis done. WTF?? And she said to call the dealers & maybe they would tow it for free to their place.

Premium Member
We replaced the battery Feb 19 at home w an AGM from Advance. Upon doing so the van started doing a very hesitated start.
Before replacing the battery was the ODY having the same problems about starting?

Honda uses a circuit that once you press the START push button and release the button it turns the starter over for a few seconds or less then disengages the starting circuit. While the engine is turning over at somewhere around 200-300 rpm it will either time out at perhaps 3 seconds and disengage the starter circuit, however if the engine actually starts within that 3 seconds the engine spins faster beyond 300 rpm and will disengage the starter and allow the engine to run normally. Holding the starter button in does not help the circuit, roughly it needs a half a second STARTER push button. Then if it fails to start wait a few seconds, retry again.

They installed it & then absolutely nothing would happen. Not a light, not a sound, nothing but the start button being white & then blinking white.
Now you have only the push button START lighting up... No interior lights, no headlights or middle display coming on??? You definitely have a electrical problem and it is not your battery. First verify if Fuse Box A that Fuse 2 is good, if your model of car has this.

Will the ODY start with remote FOB?
I wished I had a electrical diagram to trace out the starting circuit, I still haven't paid for anything eHonda has on line.

Registered
I remember someone saying that one of the ground points on their car did not have a good connection. They sanded down the connection point and it fixed some electrical problems. Maybe when you replaced the battery that subpar connection was disturbed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I think DJVAN has a good point, it鈥檚 possible some fuse got blown during past battery replacement.

When you connect the nee battery, does anything light up at all or the whole vehicle had no power?

Take the battery out and test the voltage with multimeter to make sure it鈥檚 above 12.5v

If some things light up but other things (like starting the vehicle) doesn鈥檛 work then check to see if there is a specific fuse for that item that may be blown or maybe your starter is defective if it鈥檚 the only thing that鈥檚 not working and you have checked the battery and checked the fuses

Registered
2019 Ody EX
Hi guys, new member here.
We were having starting/battery issues w my 2019, 55k miles. We are original owners.
We replaced the battery Feb 19 at home w an AGM from Advance. Upon doing so the van started doing a very hesitated start. I would sometimes have to hold the button in 10seconds for it to start. Then it would finally kick in.
In case something similar happens to us, could you explain exactly what happened during the 10 seconds? Nothing? Engine cranking but not starting?

It got to the point that it was harder & harder to get it to start.
Again, exactly what was happening getting harder & harder to start? Engine cranking but not starting?
Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember someone saying that one of the ground points on their car did not have a good connection. They sanded down the connection point and it fixed some electrical problems. Maybe when you replaced the battery that subpar connection was disturbed?

Hmmm, that's interesting. I really don't know. The metal ring around the terminal top is just regular metal, not painted or anything.
In case something similar happens to us, could you explain exactly what happened during the 10 seconds? Nothing? Engine cranking but not starting?

Again, exactly what was happening getting harder & harder to start? Engine cranking but not starting?
Thanks.
It would start to turn over but not "catch" repeatedly.
Like it starting in slow motion but only the 1st part if you broke the start up into 2 sections. Engage, then start.
It's so hard to explain. That's what I hate about it.
I made an appt at a 3rd & different dealer further away. I also called Honda & tried to file an issue complaint in case it were to become a recall issue down the road. They were ,not receptive & actually I got quite frustrated w the girl that I hung up & looked up the ceo's information to send an email. Figured I better cool off first lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before replacing the battery was the ODY having the same problems about starting?

Honda uses a circuit that once you press the START push button and release the button it turns the starter over for a few seconds or less then disengages the starting circuit. While the engine is turning over at somewhere around 200-300 rpm it will either time out at perhaps 3 seconds and disengage the starter circuit, however if the engine actually starts within that 3 seconds the engine spins faster beyond 300 rpm and will disengage the starter and allow the engine to run normally. Holding the starter button in does not help the circuit, roughly it needs a half a second STARTER push button. Then if it fails to start wait a few seconds, retry again.

Now you have only the push button START lighting up... No interior lights, no headlights or middle display coming on??? You definitely have a electrical problem and it is not your battery. First verify if Fuse Box A that Fuse 2 is good, if your model of car has this.
View attachment 160860

I wished I had a electrical diagram to trace out the starting circuit, I still haven't paid for anything eHonda has on line.
You sound like you really know your van well. I wish you could come to my house & fix mine!! I am ready to go back to the cars of the 70s!! I can try to look at the inside fuse box, but to be honest I don't know if I will be able to tell if it needs a fuse. 馃う馃徎 it's hard to follow these replies, too. I get an email about a reply but it doesn't take me to it always.
Thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 160860

And the brake pedal gets so hard to push in after I try starting it 3 times that eventually it doesn't go far when i press it.
The fob does not start it even holding it up to the start button.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought it meant where the cable for jump starting gets connected. I am collecting all of this info to share w the service manager at the dealership. Thank you
And the brake pedal gets so hard to push in after I try starting it 3 times that eventually it doesn't go far when i press it.
The fob does not start it even holding it up to the start button.
#2 is not blown 馃槶

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.