Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New to this group... looking for advice/opinions...
Just purchased 4 new Michelin defender LTX for 2014 Odyssey after lots of research.
There was terrible vibration in the steering wheel and on floor board at 65/70 mph. I took the car back to have tires balanced again. I was told a weight fell off and they test drove and said it was good to go. Steering wheel is now smooth but now a vibration in seat at 65/70 mph. I expected a smooth cruising speed and this seat vibration is bothersome.
My question is... is this normal handling for this type of tire? Do I need more of a grand touring tire for a smoother ride? Or is it possible one of the back tires is bad since I was told all 4 were balanced.
Thank you !

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
My question is... is this normal handling for this type of tire?
No, the van should not vibrate like that. It's unpleasant to drive, tough on the car, and could be dangerous.

However, vibration after installing new tires is not uncommon. A few things can cause it:
  • A structural anomaly in the tire, especially in the belts. Try swapping the tires left to right to reverse the direction of rotation.
  • An out of round tire. At 65 MPH, just a small amount of out-of-roundness could cause a vibration. Have the tire shop measure the tires for this. It can be present even in the best tires.
  • Out-of-balance tire(s). The Odyssey is sensitive to unbalanced tires. I know the shop balanced them, but some machines balance to tighter tolerances than others. The more precise machines take more tech time and expertise to get it right, so shops that have them charge more. A road-force balancer is the best because it simulates the car's weight on the tire, not just spinning it in the air unloaded like a propeller. (I buy my tires from a well-respected tire shop, but then I take them to a performance shop for balancing and installation. They charge $25 each, but I've never had a problem.)
  • Unmatched heavy sides. Every tire has a heavy side (sometimes marked with a yellow sticker), as does every wheel (usually opposite the opening for the valve). The tire should be installed on the wheel with their respective heavy spots 180 degrees opposite from each other. Theoretically, balancing should compensate for any tire/wheel heavy spots, but proper installation makes for a simpler balancing and also fewer wheel weights (i.e. less to go wrong).
Did the van have any vibration issues before the new tires were installed? Did you have a suspension alignment (and component inspection) done when installing the new tires?

Dave

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
  • Unmatched heavy sides. Every tire has a heavy side (sometimes marked with a yellow sticker), as does every wheel (usually opposite the opening for the valve). The tire should be installed on the wheel with their respective heavy spots 180 degrees opposite from each other. Theoretically, balancing should compensate for any tire/wheel heavy spots, but proper installation makes for a simpler balancing and also fewer wheel weights (i.e. less to go wrong).
After a year of complaining, I finally got my "heavy spot" rotated 180 and it now takes much less weight... They had weight stacked up 3 rows high... almost hitting the caliper I'd tell'em to rotate the tire but they would only rebalance/roadforce. The dot on the tire they claim is not a weight symbol anymore.
That tire exhibited a 70 mph "wiggle". Not anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was not a vibration with the old oem Michelin primacy. The tire shop said an alignment was done. Car is not pulling ... only vibrates at high speeds 65/70. And only in the seat... which makes me think back tire or tires.
They have only been on for a week, and I’m considering a different tire.
There is no yellow dot.
Measuring them is a good idea.
I appreciate the advice! Thank you

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, wiggle in the seat is the rears needing a dynamic rebalance, roadforce preferred! One store did a static balance which is a no-no for higher speeds and caused my issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Michelin Premier LTX on mine that had a similar issue right after 2nd rotation and rebalance (around 15k mi on them). Vibrated like crazy, but only under acceleration around 65+ MPH. Thought something else had to be wrong, but I went back and had them rebalance them (again) and it solved the problem. I guess I had a better balancing tech the 2nd time around!

·
Registered
13,710 Posts
One thing I remember around here is folks keep going back to the same tire store and they keep rebalancing with the same out of caliper machine. If the tires were purchased at a chain store, try another store. I remember this being discovered by someone having their tires rebalanced in another city while on vacation.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Purchased the same defender for my 2001, at Costco, a few months ago. No issues. Van rides quieter. Best tires I"ve ever had on my van.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve had two sets of the defender ltx previously known as the LTX m/s2. Best tires I’ve ever owned. Maybe a bad install or got unlucky and got a bad tire

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
One store did a static balance which is a no-no for higher speeds and caused my issue.
Static tire balance machines should be banned by law.

They are horribly inaccurate, totally outdated, and misleading to an unsuspecting customer who is told their tires have been "balanced".

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
The tire shop said an alignment was done. Car is not pulling ...
Yes, I hear you.

An alignment is commonly requested to fix a pulling problem, but it can also be done if the car has other symptoms, such as a vibration.

Prior to setting up the alignment instruments, a good tech will perform a vehicle inspection regardless of the specific customer complaint, for example to examine the tire tread for abnormal wear patterns, and also to check suspension parts for wear or deterioration. Vibration can be caused by such obscure things as weak springs or worn axles, to name just a few.

OP, in your case I don't think suspension or alignment is the cause of the vibration, since it began only with the installation of the new tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased 4 new Michelin defender LTX for 2014 Odyssey after lots of research.
There was terrible vibration in the steering wheel and on floor board at 65/70 mph. I took the car back to have tires balanced again. I was told a weight fell off and they test drove and said it was good to go. Steering wheel is now smooth but now a vibration in seat at 65/70 mph. I expected a smooth cruising speed and this seat vibration is bothersome.
My question is... is this normal handling for this type of tire? Do I need more of a grand touring tire for a smoother ride? Or is it possible one of the back tires is bad since I was told all 4 were balanced.
Thank you !
I had this happen on my 2012 Odyssey. After balancing the tires several times I finally took it to the Honda dealer and they discovered the axles were "bent" and replaced them at no cost. This was several years ago and the car only had about 80K miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this happen on my 2012 Odyssey. After balancing the tires several times I finally took it to the Honda dealer and they discovered the axles were "bent" and replaced them at no cost. This was several years ago and the car only had about 80K miles on it.
I don't think that's the whole story there either.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Not too argue because I don't really know but motorcycles use them exclusively and go 200mph,
I know little to nothing about motorcycles, but that's good to know. I pay attention when someone in the performance arena speaks. What works in racing often excels in the world of regular vehicles.

Maybe it's the narrowness of a motorcycle wheel? A static balancer balances only in the radial plane, not the axial, which may be quite sufficient for motorcycles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you !
Hi Ltk, I have an odyssey 2016 in Mexico and the same thing happened to me, it was solved by replacing the engine and transmission mounts, hoping this will work for you. greetings from Mexico

·
Registered
103 Posts
Road force balancing. The shop that installed my Defender LTX uses road force balancing on all tires they sell and ours are running smooth as glass. I will say the vibration in the seat indicated the rear tires are out of balance/out of round. I would start there. I bet if took the rears off and moved them to the front you would get steering wheel shake. You might also have a bad tire even through they are new. Nonetheless, it should be covered and I would ask they fix the vibration or they need to contact Michelin to request new rear tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My experience with Michelin tires, I wouldn't put one on my wheel barrel to haul trash. Tread separation from the belts seems to be a big problem. Can only be found by spinning the tire at high speed then be able to measure the bulge with out getting hurt. I found mine by jacking the car 'just' off the floor and spinning it up to about 60 or 70 and listen for the squeak on garage floor. Had a total of 6 tires on various cars and a motor home that were bad from Michelin over the years. One on my motor home the tried flew off and took out the side of my R.V.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts