Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fluid was pooring out of the container, too much pressure ? took out the pump and seems to be ok, pressure test on the valve ok, pressure swith maybe ?

any advice

thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mine did that suddenly recently, but was accompanied by horrible pump dyng sounds. I think something busted inside the pump that caused cavitation.

Rebuilt PS pump from Advance Auto for $110 fixed me right up. Replace all fluid while at it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
odyortho, some questions for you:

Is the power steering fluid foaming when it overflows?

Does it make groaning, chattering noise when you turn the wheel while maneuvering in tight spots like a parking lot? Could be a sign of an air leak.

An easy way to tell the difference between regular fluid and foaming PSF is to look at the PSF in the reservoir after the car has sat all night, before you start up the engine for the first time that day. The fluid should be transparent, with an amber tint to it. Foaming fluid is opaque due to the bubbles.

You can have a "leak" but no visibile fluid drips or seeps anywhere. The leak would be an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

See this thread:

Possible Power Steering Fixes

OF

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks odyfamily,

i have to put fluid back in the system, and will see if the fluid foams up,a tech from honda told me to check the connectors of the ps pressure switch, i will check for blockage in the reservoir,

more work for the week end

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine did that suddenly recently, but was accompanied by horrible pump dyng sounds. I think something busted inside the pump that caused cavitation.

Rebuilt PS pump from Advance Auto for $110 fixed me right up. Replace all fluid while at it.
I have the same problem ... want to replace the P.S. pump, but haven't figured out how to remove the pump's pulley so it can be transferred to the new pump. How did you remove the pulley; does it use normal or left-hand threads?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts