Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm replacing the power steering high pressure hose for the first time for my '03 Odyssey EX-L (185K miles) due to a leakage. I have two questions:

1) I bought the Genuine Honda part 53713-S0X-A02 from Amazon but the angles in the metal part are different from the original hose in the vehicle. They are aligned up to a certain point where they diverge. I tried to show the difference in the images below.
Is this how's supposed to be or did I get an incorrect part? Should I bend it?

IMG_20190604_184802_900.jpg IMG_20190604_184924_759.jpg

2) I'm having my butt kicked trying to install the replacement hose back into the car. I've tried from the top and from the passenger side but with no success. I actually had more progress when starting from the passenger side but the feed tip was in an incorrect angle and the hose got stuck halfway.
Do you have any advice/tips on what's the best way to install it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
That's the correct part #, but the part is way off.

My first suspicion is that it might be a counterfeit, having come from the big-A site.

Bring the new line to a dealer parts department and compare it with theirs.

This job is tough enough even without a complication like this.

Dave

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
That's the correct part #, but the part is way off.

My first suspicion is that it might be a counterfeit, having come from the big-A site.

Bring the new line to a dealer parts department and compare it with theirs.

This job is tough enough even without a complication like this.

Dave

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have gotten at least one counterfeit part off of amazon and another that I suspect was. If I am buying factory honda parts I typically get them from https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They are usually significantly cheaper then my local dealer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Andy, i did this job several years ago with an auto zone special, it was a bear. took me several hours to get the new piece in. i fed it in from over the top of the engine and down towards the rack. hardest part was getting it to fit in place under the car in the lower frame area. worked at it for a long time,,very frustrated,, considered cutting the line and implanting a fitting, but it suddenly snapped into place. as you have the old one out, have you considered gently bending the new line to match the old? from your pics, pic #2 seems to be where i would start as the modification seems less drastic

·
Registered
117 Posts
From the pics it looks like all the sharp and hard to change bends are OK. Just overall it does not match. Could it be from being flattened to fit in a shipping box? Does look though that it would go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the help!

I ended up taking the new part to a dealership and after comparing with theirs, I could conclude it was actually a Genuine Honda (and not a counterfeit).
So I couldn't use it as a scapegoat anymore and had to deal with my skills (or lack thereof). 😅

And I finally was able to install it back, after so much struggle that I started questioning my faith and the definition of "clockwise".

I'll leave my two cents for anyone who wants to change the hose themselves:

* Tools needed: 10mm sockets, 17mm wrench, adjustable wrench, 14mm flare nut wrench, pipe/bar to use as leverage for the flare nut, P8 (7.8 x 1.9mm) o-ring

* Tie a long rope on the feed end of the old hose before taking out so you know the path when installing the new part.

* Getting help of someone else to feed the hose from the top while you work from the bottom is definitely worth it. (I had to swallow my pride and ask for help).

* From my research, it seems that OEM hoses should be fed from over the top of the engine. Aftermarket parts are straighter and more flexible so they can be fed from the top or from the right wheel well.

* Remember to feed the hose with the tip facing the back of the car.

* The hose should go above the little hump in the frame. (I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to go in the space behind the hump). This first obstacle is one of the hardest but after this you've crossed the halfway mark.

* There are conflicting views about when the pressure switch should be installed: before or after the hose installation. For me, it was easier without the pressure switch however you don't have the clearance necessary to tighten the switch as strongly as it was in the original hose. No leaks so far but I'll keep an eye on it.

* Hand tighten first so you leave enough flexibility to put everything in place.

* Take the opportunity to flush the PS system with brand new fluid and clean the PS reservoir with brake cleaner. It takes three bottles of 12oz Honda PS fluid.

I'll put the car into more testing and keep an eye for any leaks but so far it looks good!

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have gotten at least one counterfeit part off of amazon and another that I suspect was. If I am buying factory honda parts I typically get them from https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They are usually significantly cheaper then my local dealer.
that website is Majestic, they literally are a real Honda dealership in rhode island or whereever, those are legit oem parts

·
Registered
462 Posts
OK even if that's a oem part it's obviously been bent and damaged. how you installed it is the real question. I would have asked for an exchange

Hello!

I'm replacing the power steering high pressure hose for the first time for my '03 Odyssey EX-L (185K miles) due to a leakage. I have two questions:

1) I bought the Genuine Honda part 53713-S0X-A02 from Amazon but the angles in the metal part are different from the original hose in the vehicle. They are aligned up to a certain point where they diverge. I tried to show the difference in the images below.

View attachment 151295 View attachment 151296

2) I'm having my butt kicked trying to install the replacement hose back into the car. I've tried from the top and from the passenger side but with no success. I actually had more progress when starting from the passenger side but the feed tip was in an incorrect angle and the hose got stuck halfway.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
233 Posts
What's the status of your engine (there are 3) and transmission (there are 2) mounts?

Typically, failure of the power steering high-pressure hose is caused by engine movement, specifically the engine rocking forward-backward-forward-backward due to worn out mounts. If your mounts are worn out and your engine is rocking, then it's just a matter of time before you'll be doing this repair again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What's the status of your engine (there are 3) and transmission (there are 2) mounts?

Typically, failure of the power steering high-pressure hose is caused by engine movement, specifically the engine rocking forward-backward-forward-backward due to worn out mounts. If your mounts are worn out and your engine is rocking, then it's just a matter of time before you'll be doing this repair again.
I can almost guarantee his back mount is broken. They designed it so poorly. I injected silicone caulk onto the new mount

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK even if that's a oem part it's obviously been bent and damaged. how you installed it is the real question. I would have asked for an exchange
Yeah, that was my initial thought as well but it matched exactly to the one my local Honda dealer had on stock, so I concluded it was in fact OEM.

Thanks for the comment. I'm not too familiar in analyzing engine mounts but they look reasonable at a first glance (pics below) and I don't feel abnormal moving/shaking but I might do a more complete analysis (hitting the accelerator and brake simultaneously to see if the mounts are worn out). Hopefully I won't need to replace them soon...

My high pressure hose started leaking after a full timing belt service (faulty tensioner) and I noticed other people in this forum experienced the same thing. My guess is they moved the hose while doing the repair and created a small tear.

IMG_20190619_195450_270.jpg

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I might do a more complete analysis (hitting the accelerator and brake simultaneously to see if the mounts are worn out).
Just a shift from N to R, and then N to D, with the brake applied of course, is all you need. The engine will shift excessively fore or aft if the front or rear mount is worn.

Dave

·
Registered
639 Posts
Caught the very start of the the pressure hose leak - on the crimped ends a week before. No mess at the bottom yet. Replaced it yesterday and decided on the ebay one - $21.45 with 2 year warranty. The hose was actually very similar to oem including the rubber bushing(for clamp), the rubber molding on the hose for the top clamp, and the the shape of hard pipe is very close to the old one I pulled out(no bending necessary). I reused the thick switch O ring and used the supplied O ring for the top. I fed the rack end first from the bottom and snake the rest going up. Needed to remove the switch - will not fit without messing it up. Reinstalled and tighten the switch when I had the entire hose in the correct general area. Just pulled it to the right wheel well to get the 2 wrenches in. Not bad. No issues on the rack end nut. Flare wrench with another combo wrench to extend the handle easily broke it loose.

I also get to fix the very slow O ring leak by the inlet hose to the pump with the new red O ring. I decided to remove the pump (3 bolts) instead of using my multi point wrench. I had a feeling it might mess up the10 mm bolt. Good thing, bolt was tight and I get to clean the crud that developed through the years. On a side note, I was reading about folks experiencing PS pump failure after TB job. I was thinking that it might be because of over tightening the belt (which is easy to do) stressing the pump pulley too much.

I started by flushing out the old fluid - almost 1 quart came out. Replaced the hose and O ring and then cleaned the reservoir with brake fluid. After drying, I started the bleeding process. Checked for leak. Non found - all good. But the reservoir fluid color quickly turn dark. So I decided to do another <quart flush. Used up 5 1/2 bottles of honda PSF(majestic honda - along with some wiper refills and O rings). Funny, the fluid cost more than the hose. Drove the van around today and no leaks and all is back to normal. Will see how long the hose will keep dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Several years ago I brazed a rust hole shut in the steel part of the line.
Just a couple weeks ago another rust hole started leaking fluid. Instead of brazing this hole shut I bought a new one from the Honda dealer. It was around $140.
It was time consuming to get the old one out and the new one in. The first thing I did was to attach the fitting to the steering rack. The pipe had to be bent slightly to get a straight shot at the rack so the fitting did not get cross threaded.
I cut the fitting end off the orig pipe and test fit it into the rack so I could see the exact angle for the fitting to screw into the rack.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just noticed from your pictures the new cheap part isn't bent right. Still worth it for the price. Someone else bought an OEM one and it was a little bent too. Just heads up for everybody else, just bend it back like he did
Caught the very start of the the pressure hose leak - on the crimped ends a week before. No mess at the bottom yet. Replaced it yesterday and decided on the ebay one - $21.45 with 2 year warranty. The hose was actually very similar to oem including the rubber bushing(for clamp), the rubber molding on the hose for the top clamp, and the the shape of hard pipe is very close to the old one I pulled out(no bending necessary). I reused the thick switch O ring and used the supplied O ring for the top. I fed the rack end first from the bottom and snake the rest going up. Needed to remove the switch - will not fit without messing it up. Reinstalled and tighten the switch when I had the entire hose in the correct general area. Just pulled it to the right wheel well to get the 2 wrenches in. Not bad. No issues on the rack end nut. Flare wrench with another combo wrench to extend the handle easily broke it loose.

I also get to fix the very slow O ring leak by the inlet hose to the pump with the new red O ring. I decided to remove the pump (3 bolts) instead of using my multi point wrench. I had a feeling it might mess up the10 mm bolt. Good thing, bolt was tight and I get to clean the crud that developed through the years. On a side note, I was reading about folks experiencing PS pump failure after TB job. I was thinking that it might be because of over tightening the belt (which is easy to do) stressing the pump pulley too much.

I started by flushing out the old fluid - almost 1 quart came out. Replaced the hose and O ring and then cleaned the reservoir with brake fluid. After drying, I started the bleeding process. Checked for leak. Non found - all good. But the reservoir fluid color quickly turn dark. So I decided to do another <quart flush. Used up 5 1/2 bottles of honda PSF(majestic honda - along with some wiper refills and O rings). Funny, the fluid cost more than the hose. Drove the van around today and no leaks and all is back to normal. Will see how long the hose will keep dry.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just noticed from your pictures the new cheap part isn't bent right. Still worth it for the price. Someone else bought an OEM one and it was a little bent too. Just heads up for everybody else, just bend it back like he did
If you are talking about the hose part to the right of the pic, the straight one is the new one, and its the very flexible. It just has not hardened yet to the the shape of the old one because of age and heat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello!

View attachment 151295 View attachment 151296

Thanks in advance!
You will have to bend iy. It will be okay. I had the worst power steering leak in history on my 03 ody coming straiggr8 out the power steering pressure switch. No lie i spent about 80 on lower steeribg fluid. Had to get line off 5th en put the switch in a vice. Then use a saw and saw it of. But there is a vid on putti g the line 5th ru right. It has to be the right way. I dont have the link but the guy is a big burly tedy bear looking fellow and his wife makes an appearance in it. He shows u. Take the line end off first. Puy line back in throufh passenger tire not oyher eay or iy won? Work sorry my pbone is so delayed aorry for misspelljg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
Tom81
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing