Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question

My Touring is only two weeks old so my kids are watching DVDs during the 5 minute trek to the grocery store. When I turn the engine off, the DVD turns off. When I start again, the DVD starts playing. If I turn off the rear source, the DVD isn't shown in the back but the dash has a green light indicating that the DVD is still playing and I can hear it through the speakers.

I would like to be able to leave the DVD in the system without it playing or without having to eject it -- kind of like what I do with a CD.

Does anyone know how to do this?

TIA

·
Registered
687 Posts
I always have a DVD sitting in the player. I'm too lazy to eject it each time I'm finished.

If you have your entertainment system selected to "DVD", then it will start playing the disc, whether it shows on the rear screen or just plays the audio. The DVD player will stop when you turn off the engine and resume (where you left off) when you start the engine.

If you select another source such as AM/FM radio, CD, HDD, AUX, etc. then the entertainment system will pause the DVD and switch to the new source. You can just leave the DVD in the player (green light on). When you're ready to watch the DVD again, just hit the DVD button and it will resume where you last left off.

Essentially, you just have to change your source. I hope that's clear to you.

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question

My Touring is only two weeks old so my kids are watching DVDs during the 5 minute trek to the grocery store. When I turn the engine off, the DVD turns off. When I start again, the DVD starts playing. If I turn off the rear source, the DVD isn't shown in the back but the dash has a green light indicating that the DVD is still playing and I can hear it through the speakers.

I would like to be able to leave the DVD in the system without it playing or without having to eject it -- kind of like what I do with a CD.

Does anyone know how to do this?

TIA
You need to hit the rear power button to turn of the RES.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, turning off the rear power button only turns off the screen. The DVD is still being read or is still advancing while the car is moving.

In other words, if my kids are watching a DVD and I drop them off at school, the DVD stops playing when I stop my car. When I get back in the car to drive to work, the rear source may be off but the DVD is still playing so that, when I drive home and pick up the kids, it is at a different place in the movie from when I dropped them off. Yes, they can use the remote to rewind the movie and I can try to remember to press pause as soon as I restart the car but it seems as if there should be an easier way around this.

I tried to set "AutoPlay" to off but that only works for the DVD that is currently in the system, not for future DVDs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, turning off the rear power button only turns off the screen. The DVD is still being read or is still advancing while the car is moving.

In other words, if my kids are watching a DVD and I drop them off at school, the DVD stops playing when I stop my car. When I get back in the car to drive to work, the rear source may be off but the DVD is still playing so that, when I drive home and pick up the kids, it is at a different place in the movie from when I dropped them off. Yes, they can use the remote to rewind the movie and I can try to remember to press pause as soon as I restart the car but it seems as if there should be an easier way around this.

I tried to set "AutoPlay" to off but that only works for the DVD that is currently in the system, not for future DVDs.

I have the same problem; I drop the kids off at daycare. When I get back into the car I have to "pause" the movie and then change the source from DVD to Radio. That works as long as I never restart the car during the day. The next time I start the car the DVD automatically starts even though I'm listening to the radio. When I finally put the kids back in the car the movie is well beyond where it left off. The kids are toddlers in a car seat; they can't rewind the movie. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal but when you pay nearly $40k for a vehicle you expect it to have better features. I went through the DVD Setup with great difficulty; the manual gives all the wrong instructions to access the DVD Setup. The only option is to disable the Autoplay. I disabled the autoplay and it still does not work. I had a much less expensive vehicle with RES which had the ability to stop the DVD when I changed the source by default. Why would anyone want the DVD to keep playing when their is no one watching? I just don't understand why there are no more complaints about this and no more solutions. I've been searching the internet for hours and have not found any answers. If someone has found a way for this to work; I'd love to hear the solution. Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You may want to check with your dealer, and or do some research. My '11 Touring would restart a DVD &/or CD from the very beginning very time the ignition was turned off or on. It took a while for Honda to admit there was a problem. I got the most info out of my dealer's service manager, who said they were working on a software patch with the vendor and I would be notified via mail when the update was available. I just took my van to the dealer today for it's first oil change and asked on my way out about the patch, and was told it was available. I had to wait extra hour for them to update the software, but now it FINALLY works correctly. So sounds like you have the opposite problem I was having, but maybe the same software update (or similar one) would resolve your issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem; I drop the kids off at daycare. When I get back into the car I have to "pause" the movie and then change the source from DVD to Radio. That works as long as I never restart the car during the day. The next time I start the car the DVD automatically starts even though I'm listening to the radio. When I finally put the kids back in the car the movie is well beyond where it left off. The kids are toddlers in a car seat; they can't rewind the movie. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal but when you pay nearly $40k for a vehicle you expect it to have better features. I went through the DVD Setup with great difficulty; the manual gives all the wrong instructions to access the DVD Setup. The only option is to disable the Autoplay. I disabled the autoplay and it still does not work. I had a much less expensive vehicle with RES which had the ability to stop the DVD when I changed the source by default. Why would anyone want the DVD to keep playing when their is no one watching? I just don't understand why there are no more complaints about this and no more solutions. I've been searching the internet for hours and have not found any answers. If someone has found a way for this to work; I'd love to hear the solution. Thank you!
This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having three model years later. Is there a a solution to this? It does seem like this isn't the way it should work. Screen is off, source is NOT dvd and the movie still advances.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Do you have an icon with a speaker and a line through it? That indicates that the front is playing a different source than the rear. So the DVD could still be playing and outputting through headphones and up front you have the radio.

Press the button "rear source" the orange light will come on, then switch that to radio and then press rear source again so that the orange light switches off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have an icon with a speaker and a line through it? That indicates that the front is playing a different source than the rear. So the DVD could still be playing and outputting through headphones and up front you have the radio.

Press the button "rear source" the orange light will come on, then switch that to radio and then press rear source again so that the orange light switches off.
Yes, even when the rear audio is NOT playing the DVD, the movie itself starts up and advances/plays (with the screen locked and up) every time you start the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.