Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming to a stop, at times the steering wheel will shake but not violently.
Does this mean I need new rotors or resurfaced?

When I apply the brakes lightly, there is a squeeking noise. It doesn't squeek when braking hard but lightly and at low speeds like pulling in a parking spot speeds. Could someone help me with why it is doing this?

Thank you in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never had any luck turning the rotors. Always had to buy new rotors. Also, was never able to fix squeal in brakes until used the pads at auto zone that have a hard rubber backing. Honda garage worked on the squeal several times, said it was normal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Autozone

Autozone
Rotors fairly cheap, and 2 yr warranty:

Brake Rotor - Front | 2005 Honda Odyssey 6 Cylinders 3.5L MFI SOHC VTEC | AutoZone.com

Pads, change at the same time. Duralast Gold Cmax (not the Duralast Gold, make sure is the Cmax) -lifetime warranty:

Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads - Front (DGC1089) | Brake Pads - Front | 2005 Honda Odyssey 6 Cylinders 3.5L MFI SOHC VTEC | AutoZone.com

The rotors are held on with a phillips head screw(s) on the face. I never was able to get those to loosen, so would just drill off the heads. When you take the rotor off, the 'stubs' of the screws will be sticking out. They will easily turn out with your fingers. Honda parts man didn't have any replacements the day I did mine, but told me they are just for production, and don't need. Not sure I believed him, so got some at Lowe's that fit fine. Metric. Flat head. They were a little longer, but no clearance problems.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have been using Duralast Rotors and Pads now for 9 months, zero issues.

FYI, Autozone carries 3 different pads:
- Everlast: cheap junk $30
- Duralast (Pad with no hardware): $42/set....(This is what I use).
- Duralast Gold (pads with hardware): $54/set

Duralast and Duralast Gold pads are covered by LT warranty. When worn, just bring old pads in to get new pads free, no questions asked.

Everything you want to know is here:

DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Front Brake Rotor (also Rear Rotor & Shock Absorber Pics)
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/85532-diy-2007-honda-odyssey-front-brake-rotor.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
You can get a $10 "impact driver" which along with a thread release agent like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or even WD-40 should be able to remove the screws on the rotors, except in northern rust climates.

I used to work on motorcycles in the '70 and 80's and early Japanese bikes used a lot of phillips head screws on the engines - all really tight so this was an indispensable tool.

Search: impact driver | Impact Driver Set | AutoZone.com

Oh, and I found higher end rotors and pads (I used magnum drilled rotors and ceramic pads) elminated that wierd noise from the stock pads and gave MUCH BETTER braking performance. Kids tell me I'm driving like I'm in a race car (I drive on a low budget team).

·
Registered
30 Posts
TTran,

CNN wrote up a great DIY on a front brake job. I followed it last weekend and had no problems replacing pads/rotors. I used the Autozone duralast gold pads and rotors. You can buyline online and save a few bucks.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When coming to a stop, at times the steering wheel will shake but not violently.

When I apply the brakes lightly, there is a squeeking noise. It doesn't squeek when braking hard but lightly and at low speeds like pulling in a parking spot speeds. Could someone help me with why it is doing this?

My '06 EXL did the same thing. I took it into the dealer and they said that the problem was the parking brake was out of adjustment. I told them to service all 4 corners and re-adjust the parking brake and it fixed it for me. Strange thing is that ever since the vehicle was new I have never used the parking brake even once.

·
Registered
583 Posts

My '06 EXL did the same thing. I took it into the dealer and they said that the problem was the parking brake was out of adjustment. I told them to service all 4 corners and re-adjust the parking brake and it fixed it for me. Strange thing is that ever since the vehicle was new I have never used the parking brake even once.
From my experience, the oem rotors warped in the summer or when used hard and go back to normal in the cooler seasons. Squeaking at low speed is probably caused by warped rotors.

I can't see why the parking brake have anything to do with braking. They are independent from each other.

·
Registered
583 Posts
From my experience, the oem rotors warped in the summer or when used hard and go back to normal in the cooler seasons. Squeaking at low speed is probably caused by warped rotors or uneven deposits. I can't see why the parking brake have anything to do with braking. They are independent from each other.

You can try bed-in the pads (4-5 hard brakes from 60-10) to clean it up.

How come I can't "edit" my post any more?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts