Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a ship date from the dealer for our Redrock ODY, 2/8. VIN indicates canadian built. My question is how long should it take to get here?? It's a 9 hour drive from Toronto to Cincinnati! As tight as Honda is I can't believe they would stop at any other major cities along the way. Even with a truck/train scenario I can't believe it takes this long.

The dealer advises that it will be here within 10 days, no real complaints about the dealer (didn't have high expectations) but they claim they can't track the shipment. C'Mon, are they yankin' me?? If I ship a box of cheese doodles to San Francisco I can track it every step of the way, why not a $30,000 vehicle??

From your ship date to when you picked it up, how long was your wait?

Also, we're dying to know the correct pronunciation of ODY. Is it O-Dee or Ah-Dee??

Thanks for any help!!

------------------
2002 Redrock EXL-RES
2002 Explorer EB
A couple of bikes and feet that work too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know the precise answer, but I was called on 2/4 with a shipping confirmation and the Ody (or Ahdy, sounds too much like a certain German car, so I say long "O"-Dee) arrived 2/11. I'm in NC. My dealer confirmed that there is no easy way to track the shipment. Apparently, they're not in the business of tracking single packages of cheese doodles. :) I've seen other posts on this site claiming to be able to track with a VIN, but haven't seen anyone cite to a web site, etc. where it can really be done. Good luck. It's a great vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Av8torjim:
Don't know the precise answer, but I was called on 2/4 with a shipping confirmation and the Ody (or Ahdy, sounds too much like a certain German car, so I say long "O"-Dee) arrived 2/11. I'm in NC. My dealer confirmed that there is no easy way to track the shipment. Apparently, they're not in the business of tracking single packages of cheese doodles. :) I've seen other posts on this site claiming to be able to track with a VIN, but haven't seen anyone cite to a web site, etc. where it can really be done. Good luck. It's a great vehicle.</font>
There is no way that I found to track it as well. My dealer told me that the vans went from the factory to a distribution center where the vans were placed on trucks that went to regional locations in the U.S. Thus it was not a direct shot. And yes it did take around 10 days to get mine from Canada to central PA.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Av8torjim:
...Apparently, they're not in the business of tracking single packages of cheese doodles. :) I've seen other posts on this site claiming to be able to track with a VIN, but haven't seen anyone cite to a web site, etc. where it can really be done...</font>
Anyone with a VIN used to be able to do it at the <a href="http://www.bnsf.com">Burlington Northern Santa Fe website</a>. BNSF is the rail carrier for most but not all US Odys.

When I was waiting for my Ody, I used to trace vehicles by VIN
to get an idea how long it usually took to get an Ody from Alliston, Canada to the Chicago area.

9/11 changed all that. Open access to the BNSF database went away on 9/21, as explained by a <a href="http://www.bnsf.com/cws/eqptrace/">press release</a> on their site.

Now, access to the tracing system is restricted to the shipper and destination parties. I applied to BNSF for an access account but was turned down.

My Ody was built on 10/11 and delivered to me on 10/16. That seemed pretty fast to me. My dealer had prepared me for a 10 day wait, and I appreciated that.

Freight resource scheduling is more important than distance.

Honda can definitely trace vehicles; the hundreds of millions of dollars the rail carriers spent on tracking systems wasn't thrown away, it's just that the general public does not have access.

IMHO, there is no upside benefit to Honda (as well as the dealers) to make tracing info to available customers - it would just be a hassle for them.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Ody was built on 10/11 and delivered to me on 10/16.

Soooo it takes 5 days to Chicago and 10 days to Harrisburg, that tells me nothing
It's been a long wait and now it's like Mr. Scott lost it in the transporter!!

Honda can definitely trace vehicles; the hundreds of millions of dollars the rail carriers spent on tracking systems wasn't thrown away, it's just that the general public does not have access.

IMHO, there is no upside benefit to Honda (as well as the dealers) to make tracing info to available customers - it would just be a hassle for them.

I would respectfully disagree. It's a little thing we like to call customer service. Honda needs to do a much better job here, this doesn't cost them anything. Society is now expecting information on everything. All the dealer would have had to say this week is, "Let me look at the web site, hmmmmm, appears to be still in transit, it was put on the truck from the railyard at 7:54 last night. It will probably be here tomorrow." My dealer has not been bad, just lazy. Take a little time make a phone call and communicate, seems pretty simple to me.

We're also anxious to get it which doesn't help!!

Guess I'll post the O-DEE, Ah-DEE question separately!!

------------------
2002 Redrock EXL-RES
2002 Explorer EB
A couple of bikes and feet that work too!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dealer claimed that they can not track the vans. I bought in Mankato, Mn. They are shipped by rail to Mpls/St Paul, MN and are unloaded into a holding yard. Then a local auto transport company delivers the cars. The transport company can deliver the car in the middle of the night. The dealer is surprised when he comes to work in the morning and finds your van unloaded in front of the dealership.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our original production date was listed as February 2 - 6. They gave me this information on January 25. On Febraury 1st I was given the VIN #, and on February 7 the vehicle was at the dealers in Central Pennsylvania. Because of trying to sell my old car, and the dealer not having some of the accesories in stock, we are not picking it up until tomorrow (2/15).

Today we closed on the sale of my Civic, and signed the paperwork for the new Odyssey. The salesman also spent about 45 minutes going over the operation of the van with my wife and I.

------------------
Dan
'02 SS EX (pick up on friday)
'97 CRV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our original production date was listed as February 2 - 6. </font>
Curious, is your's a Canadian version?? I will be extremely aggravated if it is, as we have the same build dates for our van. You say yours was there on the 7th, ours is no where in sight!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODYWhereRU:
Curious, is your's a Canadian version?? I will be extremely aggravated if it is, as we have the same build dates for our van. You say yours was there on the 7th, ours is no where in sight!!!

</font>
Yes, it is from Canada. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODYWhereRU:

</font>
Chill! It's all in the freight scheduling. Nothing to be done about that. Sometimes far away places get them fast while dealers closer to the plants get them later, just due to some train or truck schedule.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Chill! </font>
Okay, Okay, guess there goes the patience merit badge . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts