Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a 2011 exl odyssey I don't know if I should get with navagation or rear entertainment or neither. What exactly does the gps do special also what does the DVD do special? Should I buy aftermarket and if so what DVD system. I need that as I have 3 children. Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow, thought you were stuck under a heavy table. Welcome to odyclub.

As a Touring owner, would actually suggest going aftermarket on both. Loved my Garmin and miss it and the DVD screen is nothing special, although the integration is well done. Not saying I don't enjoy either feature, but can't say they were really worth it or I would do it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 little ones and went with the EX-L w/RES (Rear Ent. System) for me it was worth it so that I can control the DVD from the driver position through the radio controls in - dash. The wireless headphones are nice as well. My previous vehicle had aftermarket DVD player w/Dual screen and was difficult to manage with out have to pull over to do so. In addition, I can listen to Ipod, XM or radio while the kiddos listen/watch movies.

As for the GPS, I have a 5 inch Garmin with lifetime traffic & map updates, which does all that I need.

Just depends on your budget. My recommendation is head to your dealer and let them explain the differences and see features in person.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have the remote engine start? Anything special about it? Also anybody have the blue ambient lighting in theirs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I tend to agree with OdyNOLA, except that, for me, it has been better to have all the options when you either trade or sell pvt. And, the navi is nicely integrated - voice commands too.
Seems to me you're leaning towards more options rather than less. Why not take both EX-L and Touring for a *long test drive? Sit in both front and back seats (don't want to be distracted by the driving). The Touring comes with both navi AND res, making a quick comparo easy. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of budget for all. I need FTP know exactly what their gps system does special. Is their a link or a YouTube video?

·
Registered
86 Posts
For us, my wife really like the front and rear sensors since she has no experience driving large cars. For me, I like the appearance of the Touring (wheels/fogs/sensors/etc..) and a 6AT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can fog lights and blue ambient light be added? Anybody have experience with remote start of the engine?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My vote is the RES and just buy a handheld GPS. They're better in so many ways. And, if you get a Garmin w/ lifetime map updates...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Again, I bet if you search a bit some of the answers are there already. It is very quick, just use the different keywords under the Honda Odyssey Generation forums (2011 +). If not just browse through the old posts in the section itself, you are not the only one who wants those things:

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Search Forums

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going to buck the trend and recommend integrated nav. It's expensive, but I'd choose it again. The big screen is great, and little things like muting the radio so you hear directions, voice commands, not having to worry/fuss with chargers, etc., make it worthwhile if you use it more than very occasionally. I'm pretty certain the screen brings other advantages in ipod navigation, car settings, etc. In the end, much less driver distraction than the Garmin in my other car.

I have a touring elite so also have the RES. Great for the very young ones. Agree with those who said control from front seat is the "killer" feature. That said, if kids are 5-6 years or older, you could get a couple of iPads for entertainment for lower cost. My kids are 8, 6, and 3, and the big ones prefer iPads.

Anyway, good luck choosing. On Nav, definitely try one with and one without. Don't just use the nav, but hook up an iPod, use the backup camera, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regards your fog light q, yes, they are an option. I forget how much the dealer charges exactly, but, I do remember thinking "wow, expensive".
As for the blue lights, I don't remember seeing that listed as an option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regards your fog light q, yes, they are an option. I forget how much the dealer charges exactly, but, I do remember thinking "wow, expensive".
As for the blue lights, I don't remember seeing that listed as an option.
Both are DIYable kits. The ambient lighting is a kit and so are the fogs. From my experience on my accord- fogs take half a day. The ambient lights look like they can be slapped in arond the hour mark. Many threads here about modding them as they dont throw much light at all

·
Registered
70 Posts
Excellent! This video, with subtitles, proves a picture really is worth a 1000 words. A lot of 'on-the-job' technique being shown here. Thanks to BigBoat for posting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Going to buy a 2011 exl odyssey I don't know if I should get with navagation or rear entertainment or neither. What exactly does the gps do special also what does the DVD do special? Should I buy aftermarket and if so what DVD system. I need that as I have 3 children. Thanks
if you can afford it, get both. having nav built in is nice (esp on that large screen) and the res will definitely entertain the kids. on the other hand, with tech things, they will be outdated soon.

and if you're on a budget and already have some gadgets (we already have a garmin gps we pop between cars and 3 ipads in the family) you may not need to spend the $2000-$3000 difference between the base ex-l and the nav/res/touring models to get those features.

we don't need nav for commute/errands so the occasional need to print out google maps or pull out the gps is a minor inconvenience. and yes, ipads are multifunctional (movies, games, 3g internet) that can be brought in the car for roadtrips. we hardly watch dvds (or at most rip them to watch later).

the voice commands for the integrated nav is cool, although new standalone gps models have it as well.

yes, fogs are $300 you can buy online and install yourself. interior leds are $50-100 and very diy and a very practical and worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't like the voice commands, I would have preffered a touch screen GPS instead of the annoying dial. That said the 8 inch screen is pretty nice and don't have to clutter up the car with a portable and reduced risk of theft. Though portables give you the most for your $$ and can be used in other vehicles, if they break, toss it out and buy another one for $200 or so.. something to think about.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Where? What? How? :D Welcome to Odyclub. I think, though, this post will now show up on Google searches for "help."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts