Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was driving home, got to my neighborhood and I lost all steering and a light come on with a battery that said "check service charger". I stopped put my hazards on and before I could even put it in park, the van worked fine, all lights went off and it drove fine with no problems.

1. What the heck could this be?
2. Is this safe enough to drive roughly 5 mi in the morning to get my kids to school then roughly 3 miles to get it to my mechanic?

2006 Touring w/ approx 92K mi

Belt is still connected, only light on is that I need an oil change, power steering fluid is full, not leaking anything...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get the van checked before you put your kids' life in danger! Imagine you are driving and all of the sudden you lose all braking and steering power heading straight to a tree or an intersection. I would guess the charging system needs to be looked at first.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Charging system is your battery, alternator, and all connections in between those two and the rest of the cars electronics. If your alternator fails, your power is not cycling and eventually your battery dies and everything goes. You should have it checked as it may be failing. Other options could be a loose connection at a major junction or fuse box, a loose alternator belt, or a short. In any event you need it looked at. I don't know ifthe power steering and alternator belt are the same belt on the odyssey (still finalizing my 07 Odyssey) but if they are it could explain the steering and charge system light.

Edit: It is a single serpentine belt based on this Honda Odyssey 2006 Serpentine Belt Replacement
Get it checked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!! I just dropped it off at the mechanics and am borrowing my friends car for tomorrow so I don't have to worry about getting the kids to school in the van. It makes sense it might be a loose connection, or short. It happened to my hubby when he drove through a puddle (it's been raining terribly here)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It happened to my hubby when he drove through a puddle (it's been raining terribly here)
I was just going to reply that if you had driven through a puddle, that temporary belt slippage could occur, making the van *think* the belt wasn't there & would have triggered a light. Your tech may report there's no visible signs of belt wear.

The old school belt visual inspection isn't what it used to be, they use belt thickness and visual inspection to determine if it's time to replace it. It has to do with the composition of the newer belts on the market, I cannot find the article at the moment, but it could look fine but be worn down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just going to reply that if you had driven through a puddle, that temporary belt slippage could occur, making the van *think* the belt wasn't there & would have triggered a light. Your tech may report there's no visible signs of belt wear.

The old school belt visual inspection isn't what it used to be, they use belt thickness and visual inspection to determine if it's time to replace it. It has to do with the composition of the newer belts on the market, I cannot find the article at the moment, but it could look fine but be worn down.
My husband was thinking the same thing. We dropped it off at my mechanic (he's a close friend we've known for YEARS who I trust since my local Honda is, at best, shady -- yes I've spoken to corporate about them) last night and he's looking at it today. I did tell him the light came on in puddles too. Of course it's beautiful and dry today so I'm SURE nothing will happen when he test drives.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so the reason OP on other thread was not 100% resolved is this:

I took it to my mechanic like indicated. He changed the serpentine belt. I called Honda to ask if they'd had anyone with a similar problems. They told me YES and to have my mechanic change the tension thing in addition to the belt as well. That should fix it. so I told my mechanic and he's going to do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you

I have had this problem and thought I fixed it with a new alternator.

I don't know why I didn't check the tensioner. That explains a lot.

So, I was having the same problems, check charging system light comes on, only when wet and cold. I replaced with a napa rebuilt alternator and it hasn't happened since. But, then again it has been summer, and while rainy at times, not cold.

So, my wife was driving last week, and said the power steering light came on along with the check charging system light. This explains all of that.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Having the exact same problem recently and came to the conclusion it was the serpentine belt tensioner. When I changed it out it was very obvious that the effort to move the tensioner to reinstall the belt was significantly greater than when I removed the belt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The tensioner is held on by two bolts. One needs a breaker bar and the other is small, but may be beneath the timing belt cover.

I removed the tensioner when removing and replacing the timing belt. It can be done. It is not too difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts