1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Odyssey.

History:

March 2017:
72,075 miles. Check engine light for P0303 code. Before I knew about OdyClub, replaced all spark plugs and all coil packs. Coil Packs were replaced with non-OEM.

June 2018: On a 1,000 mile road trip with the family. Check engine light comes on. Engine vibration. 87,600 miles. I was able to get it to the dealer. Found OdyClub. Typical VCM issue based on what I have read here. Replaced piston rings and spark plugs (among a couple of other things). After this repair, I installed a crappy VCM muzzle. ECO mode is limited to traffic conditions.

November 2019: 103,625 miles. Baseball with the kids, get in the car to drive 5 miles home. At about mile 1 or 2, the car starts to vibrate. Flashing Check Engine Light comes on (not good, I know). Feels like the same thing at 87,000 miles. Get the car home and check the code. P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire. Put back the OEM coil pack. Issue has been resolved. (My post about it here.)

May 2020: Installed VCM Tuner II. VCM never turns on. I wish that I would have installed this at the beginning. (I didn't record the miles.)

June 2021: (today) 112,431 miles. After just about getting comfortable with the Odyssey again and being able to trust it, hint of a vibration on an errand to the store early morning. Went out again a few hours later full on vibration like previous issues. Limped home and now it is code P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected.

I believe that this is the cylinder numbering.

I hope it is just the coil pack. I suspect that I should pull the plug again too to check the plug. Thoughts?

Wish me luck...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
If it's cylinder 5, then the VCMTuner II is still doing its job - it protects cylinders 1 through 4 from VCM. Cylinders 5 and 6 are not affected by VCM.

I'd suspect the ignition coil too. Swapping the coils from cylinders 5 and 6 is easy to reach and a good place to start. If the misfire switches to cylinder 6, then you know the coil is at fault.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that I need to go through the swapping test process.

Starting with taking the coil packs off of cylinder 5 and cylinder 6. Cylinder 5 appears to have some corrosion going on.

Looking inside the coil pack, the spring is missing. That' can't be good.

Luckily I have a scope to look inside the cylinder.

Cylinder 6 - looks good to me.

Cylinder 5 - am I screwed?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I don't think that I need to go through the swapping test process.

Starting with taking the coil packs off of cylinder 5 and cylinder 6. Cylinder 5 appears to have some corrosion going on.
View attachment 162293

Looking inside the coil pack, the spring is missing. That' can't be good.
View attachment 162295

Luckily I have a scope to look inside the cylinder.

Cylinder 6 - looks good to me.
View attachment 162296

Cylinder 5 - am I screwed?
View attachment 162297
is that an optical illusion or am I seeing threads missing?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If it's cylinder 5, then the VCMTuner II is still doing its job - it protects cylinders 1 through 4 from VCM. Cylinders 5 and 6 are not affected by VCM.

I'd suspect the ignition coil too. Swapping the coils from cylinders 5 and 6 is easy to reach and a good place to start. If the misfire switches to cylinder 6, then you know the coil is at fault.
^^^ This

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. But I can clearly see that the coil pack is bad and it appears that it caused some fouling inside the cylinder. Is there a concern with the fouling on the plug? Do you think it's safe to remove the plug? Any concerns with getting debris inside the cylinder?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No. I don't have to. I see that the coil pack is bad. The spring is missing in the bottom. My concern is the debris in the cylinder. Will it cause further problems?
if the coil wasnt working optimally, that could be the cause.

put the new coil in fill up with some chevron with techron gas, see if that cleans things up.

what plugs were installed, stock iridium?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,599 Posts
What did you use for spark plugs and where did you buy them? What brand of coilpacks did you use and where did you buy them?

The oil you see in that scope picture is not in the cylinder - that's just the spark plug tube. I would guess the spark plug isn't fully seated.

I'd say:
6x new OEM coils
6x new NGK spark plugs (from dealer, Rock Auto or local parts store)

It sucks that you replaced the OEM coils when you did - they are generally very reliable.

-Charlie

Reactions: TheJoeFletch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did you use for spark plugs and where did you buy them? What brand of coilpacks did you use and where did you buy them?

The oil you see in that scope picture is not in the cylinder - that's just the spark plug tube. I would guess the spark plug isn't fully seated.

I'd say:
6x new OEM coils
6x new NGK spark plugs (from dealer, Rock Auto or local parts store)

It sucks that you replaced the OEM coils when you did - they are generally very reliable.

-Charlie
I still have the OEM coil packs. I'm getting a new NGK spark plugs now. Just 1 for now to make sure I can get it back to and running.

Why do you suggest all new equipment? Just good practice?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,599 Posts
I still have the OEM coil packs. I'm getting a new NGK spark plugs now. Just 1 for now to make sure I can get it back to and running.

Why do you suggest all new equipment? Just good practice?
My assumption was that the original coils were thrown out. If you have the originals, put them back in (after making sure the springs are in place, etc.). New plugs to make sure they are OEM NGK's (not from Amazon or eBay) is just best practice at this point to make sure that isn't your problem.

-Charlie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My assumption was that the original coils were thrown out. If you have the originals, put them back in (after making sure the springs are in place, etc.).
I don't thrown anything away! Haha! I still have the original spark plugs.

New plugs to make sure they are OEM NGK's (not from Amazon or eBay) is just best practice at this point to make sure that isn't your problem.
I've heard about the issues from Amazon / eBay. I just bought an OEM NGK's from Advanced Auto Parts. I never heard about issues from them before.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
You should be fine from a parts store. Maybe not the cheapest prices, but you'll definitely get what you want. I bought 4 plugs for my Accord from AutoZone at about $15 each.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally finished the replacement of the #5 spark plug. Reinstalled the OEM coil pack. Took the car for a short ride all appears to be well. Thank you all for your help. I hope this is it forever! (Or at least a while.)

@phattyduck, I will price out a replacement set of spark plug and coil packs. I have bought from Rock Auto in the past, I believe that they have the best prices out there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts