Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve been reading a lot of the posts about the piston ring/misfiring issues on the Odyssey’s. Unfortunately I found this site after I paid the $3300 to have the issue “fixed” about 2 years ago, and of course the misfiring has happened a few times since. The van is currently at the dealership that says that it’s out of warranty and HC or the dealership are not even considering any kind of good will help. I’m not giving any of them another dime! I think my service advisor will replace the spark plugs and any minor issues without charging me. I have read many threads that suggest at this point that I should have a VCM muzzler of some sort installed. I know that you have recommended the VCM Tuner II. Any suggestions on where to buy a legitimate one and what kind of shop will install it? My Midas guy says he’s never heard of a muzzled and isn’t comfortable installing one…

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,599 Posts
I have read many threads that suggest at this point that I should have a VCM muzzler of some sort installed. I know that you have recommended the VCM Tuner II. Any suggestions on where to buy a legitimate one and what kind of shop will install it? My Midas guy says he’s never heard of a muzzled and isn’t comfortable installing one…
If you can unplug and re-plug an electrical connector, you can install basically any of the "muzzlers" out there, no need for a mechanic.

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can unplug and re-plug an electrical connector, you can install basically any of the "muzzlers" out there, no need for a mechanic.

-Charlie
Thank you! Ordered the VCM Tuner II and my neighbor and I are going to install it. Hope this takes care of the issues we’ve been having. So disappointed with Honda at this point…

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I don't think that I need to go through the swapping test process.

Starting with taking the coil packs off of cylinder 5 and cylinder 6. Cylinder 5 appears to have some corrosion going on.
View attachment 162293

Looking inside the coil pack, the spring is missing. That' can't be good.
View attachment 162295

Luckily I have a scope to look inside the cylinder.

Cylinder 6 - looks good to me.
View attachment 162296

Cylinder 5 - am I screwed?
View attachment 162297
That #5 cylinder has been mentioned quite a few times for having the spark plug come loose. It also happened on my '03. After you install a new spark plug properly, check it again in around 10-15k miles or so just to see if it is still properly tight. Mine never came loose again.
#5 spark plug getting loose does seem to get mentioned quite a bit, at least in the 2nd Gen.
Sounds like you got it fixed and I hope it will stay that way.
Hot exhaust gasses slip past the loose spark plug and can cause a lot of problems, including destroying the coil.
Still, in another 10-15k miles just do a quick check on that spark plug to make sure it isn't coming loose.
That is most likely what ruined your coil pack also.
Buffalo4
PS: Nice job on your posts. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That #5 cylinder has been mentioned quite a few times for having the spark plug come loose. It also happened on my '03. After you install a new spark plug properly, check it again in around 10-15k miles or so just to see if it is still properly tight. Mine never came loose again.
#5 spark plug getting loose does seem to get mentioned quite a bit, at least in the 2nd Gen.
Interesting. I will have to make a note of that. Thank you for sharing.

Hot exhaust gasses slip past the loose spark plug and can cause a lot of problems, including destroying the coil.
Still, in another 10-15k miles just do a quick check on that spark plug to make sure it isn't coming loose.
That is most likely what ruined your coil pack also.
Seems to make sense. I also noticed that it was a bit easy to remove the plug but didn't think anything of it at the time.

PS: Nice job on your posts. :)
Haha, thanks for the feedback! I try to be very descriptive in what I find to document the process.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
I always chuckle a bit when I see people say they they won't buy another Honda simply because of VCM.

Suit yourself, but I'd be happier with a muzzled Honda V6 (or even better, one of the Honda V6s without VCM like the J35Z6) than whatever Toyota pushes out.

If you had muzzled from day 1, you'd have zero issues.

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I always chuckle a bit when I see people say they they won't buy another Honda simply because of VCM.

Suit yourself, but I'd be happier with a muzzled Honda V6 (or even better, one of the Honda V6s without VCM like the J35Z6) than whatever Toyota pushes out.
Very interesting perspective and I appreciate the feedback / comment. Outside of the VCM design issues, are you saying that the engines on a Honda are more reliable than Toyota? Do the newer Honda V6s still have the VCM issue or was that resolved in new generations of the engine?

Probably and I'm grateful that Honda acknowledges "an issue" and does 1 fix, but it is a temporary and the failures have occurred again if not muzzled. You have to dig a bit in order to be aware of this ongoing issue and fix it permanently. I was not aware of this until the failure occurred in my vehicle. I share my VCM experiences with anyone that has a Honda. I always tell them to check online to see their vehicle is affected.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,962 Posts

Not saying I love or hate Hondas, but both my Odysseys have been very reliable other than the '99's multiple AT failures.

I think just about EVERY car out there has something with it that is a result of the regulations and market pressures forcing MPG up and emissions down. Even electric cars and hybrids have their issues (batteries, motors, etc.). Constantly demanding improvements leads to mistakes that come with the progress and show up down the road.

So if I had a chance to trade the weak spot on any of my cars for VCM, I'd gladly make that trade. Because VCM can be completely solved for somewhere between a dollar and a hundred or so, and you'll never need to worry about it again. Can't do that with the drive battery, drive motor, GDI, bore scoring, etc. problems.

So I love VCM. Easy to bypass, and if we did not have VCM, we'd have something else much harder to deal with.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Very interesting perspective and I appreciate the feedback / comment. Outside of the VCM design issues, are you saying that the engines on a Honda are more reliable than Toyota? Do the newer Honda V6s still have the VCM issue or was that resolved in new generations of the engine?

Probably and I'm grateful that Honda acknowledges "an issue" and does 1 fix, but it is a temporary and the failures have occurred again if not muzzled. You have to dig a bit in order to be aware of this ongoing issue and fix it permanently. I was not aware of this until the failure occurred in my vehicle. I share my VCM experiences with anyone that has a Honda. I always tell them to check online to see their vehicle is affected.
Toyotas are bulletproof. I'll give them that. But I pretty much completely agree with @oldskewel. From what I've seen, Hondas are a more enjoyable car to own. And I'll gladly pay the price of VCM for that, considering it can be eliminated easily to create an excellent, reliable V6. I haven't had to deal with VCM given that I have an Odyssey EX and had an Accord LX, but the replacement for the latter is most likely going to be a newer V6 Honda/Acura, so it won't be long.

As for the newer Honda V6s, there's no clear yes or no answer for that. To my knowledge, all cars that Honda currently makes with a V6 have VCM. However, they don't have VCM-2, which is what your Odyssey has and is by far the most problematic version of VCM. Newer Honda V6s (for the Odyssey that's 2018+ but earlier for some other cars) have VCM-3, which is supposedly more tweaked and similar to VCM-1. Fewer engine issues have been reported with VCM-3, but only time will tell. It still does eat motor mounts, VCM is always going to do that no matter what, so there's a reason to still not want it. A lot of the newer Honda V6 motors are direct injected rather than port injected like the older V6s, but that's a completely separate topic

However, if you happen to stumble upon a Honda V6 with no VCM, it's definitely worth looking at for the convenience. Manual transmissions are great for this. Honda has never paired a manual with VCM, so the manual V6 cars out there have no VCM. I was also looking at some Acura TLs and saw that the last generation of the TL had one of Honda's 3.5L engines with no VCM, the J35Z6. Good stuff.

What's interesting is some people even with VCM-2 have gotten to high mileage and have had no problems. It's generally believed that if you drive the car aggressively when new (or at least when the piston rings are new if you get a ring job from Honda), then it allows the rings to seat better and not get damaged by VCM. But the odds are certainly not in your favor and you're basically gambling on your engine for maybe 1 or 2 mpg. Not worth it. Gas is cheaper than an engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
...other than the '99's multiple AT failures.
Any predictors for the automatic transmission failures?

So if I had a chance to trade the weak spot on any of my cars for VCM, I'd gladly make that trade. Because VCM can be completely solved for somewhere between a dollar and a hundred or so, and you'll never need to worry about it again. Can't do that with the drive battery, drive motor, GDI, bore scoring, etc. problems.

So I love VCM. Easy to bypass, and if we did not have VCM, we'd have something else much harder to deal with.
Good point. Makes sense to me!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Toyotas are bulletproof. I'll give them that. But I pretty much completely agree with @oldskewel. From what I've seen, Hondas are a more enjoyable car to own.
What do you mean by more enjoyable? At this point in my life (early 40's, 3 kids, getting debt free), I want bulletproof and little issues.

I haven't had to deal with VCM given that I have an Odyssey EX and had an Accord LX, but the replacement for the latter is most likely going to be a newer V6 Honda/Acura, so it won't be long.
Why did you not have to deal with VCM in the Odyssey EX?

As for the newer Honda V6s, there's no clear yes or no answer for that. To my knowledge, all cars that Honda currently makes with a V6 have VCM. However, they don't have VCM-2, which is what your Odyssey has and is by far the most problematic version of VCM. Newer Honda V6s (for the Odyssey that's 2018+ but earlier for some other cars) have VCM-3, which is supposedly more tweaked and similar to VCM-1. Fewer engine issues have been reported with VCM-3, but only time will tell. It still does eat motor mounts, VCM is always going to do that no matter what, so there's a reason to still not want it. A lot of the newer Honda V6 motors are direct injected rather than port injected like the older V6s, but that's a completely separate topic

However, if you happen to stumble upon a Honda V6 with no VCM, it's definitely worth looking at for the convenience. Manual transmissions are great for this. Honda has never paired a manual with VCM, so the manual V6 cars out there have no VCM. I was also looking at some Acura TLs and saw that the last generation of the TL had one of Honda's 3.5L engines with no VCM, the J35Z6. Good stuff.
Great information! Thank you for sharing!

What's interesting is some people even with VCM-2 have gotten to high mileage and have had no problems. It's generally believed that if you drive the car aggressively when new (or at least when the piston rings are new if you get a ring job from Honda), then it allows the rings to seat better and not get damaged by VCM. But the odds are certainly not in your favor and you're basically gambling on your engine for maybe 1 or 2 mpg. Not worth it. Gas is cheaper than an engine.
Drive the car aggressively? Oh my, that's not me! I baby the crap out of my Odyssey!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
What do you mean by more enjoyable? At this point in my life (early 40's, 3 kids, getting debt free), I want bulletproof and little issues.

Why did you not have to deal with VCM in the Odyssey EX?

Great information! Thank you for sharing!

Drive the car aggressively? Oh my, that's not me! I baby the crap out of my Odyssey!
I think outside of VCM, Honda powertrains are just as solid as a Toyota powertrain while not being boring to drive.

In the 3rd generation of Odysseys (05-10, which my 2006 falls under), VCM was not a standard feature like it is on the 4th gens and newer. It was only available on the two highest trim levels, EX-L and Touring. LX and EX had the J35A6 with no VCM, while EX-L and Touring had the J35A7 with VCM.

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,962 Posts
Any predictors for the automatic transmission failures?
Like VCM-created engine problems, the old Odyssey AT problems were odd in that some cars had serious problems and some seemed to have none, wondering what all the fuss was about. I had 3 AT replacements (all by Honda dealer, all eventually free) on my '99 (the first year of the V6 and the bigger van).

Honda kept claiming they had fixed it each year, from about 2001 to 2007. LOL

I believe 2007 is when that was first actually true across the board, and newer ones should be relatively much more reliable. That was the year they switched to the AT they were using in the Ridgeline, which was significantly upgraded.

I'm less familiar with the newer ones, but I'd stay away from anything approaching double digits in number of gears. To me that is another foolish thing driven by MPG - more gears to choose from means you can spend more time in a fuel-optimal engine speed. But it also means the AT shifts more, is more complex, and either is bigger or uses smaller gears to fit in the same space. I'm happy with the 5-speed in my 2011 LX. I would not worry about the 6-speed either (in higher trims starting in 2011, and all trims in 2014-2017).

So to summarize, my predictors (just my opinion, since you asked) are:
  • 2007 or newer
  • 5 or 6 speed, no more

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
The 6 speed in my 2015 EX-L is wonderful after the software update. Because my miles were so low, I only did one drain & fill so far. My 2002 got a drain & fill every other oil change from when I bought it around 36k to when I sold it at 256k.
The only issue I ever had was a shift solenoid. I just downshifted and then shifted up for a few days and it never happened again. Never replaced anything but fluid.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts