Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I just looked at an 05 Touring from a dealer... it has 50K miles for $19,500 but have a hesitation on a few items.

1) there is a class III trailer hitch on there and I know there are many tranny complaints and I don't know what was pulled; although the tranny feels good.

2) I took a look underneath under the passenger side frame aligned with the catylinic converter there was a bolt missing from the frame. I know something had to be bolted on becuase there is a slight rust circle. IDK if it was some kind brace for the cat or anything else.

3) Those darn run flats!!! Depax Prices seem to vary.

4) I know it's the first year for that engine with the option for 3 cylinders to disenguage but I don't know if any faults were there on the first of it's kind.

Does that sound like a good deal? I'm also wondering what will happen to the used demand when the 2011's are released very soon.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
1. I think I've posted this in another thread...but if I have a choice to buy a vehicle that has been used to tow and one that hasn't...I'm going with the one that hasn't. That goes for cars, minivans, HD trucks. Too many unknowns and obviously it's more wear regardless if it's marginally more or a lot more. There are GOBS of these out there to pick from...don't settle if you have any questions about the one in front of you.

2. No idea. See last sentence of #1.

3. Yep. Research accordingly.

4. There can be some noises. Engine mounts are sophisticated and tend to fail early. Not much choice though unless you want a low-rent LX or EX. That wouldn't scare me away.

If this was cherry it might be an ok deal. Tow hitch, bolts missing, PAX...I'd pass. I doubt resale is gonna change much when new model comes out. Honda's don't typically suffer much from "new model envy" particularly because they don't age all that bad. An '05 will still be stylish for many years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Negotiate the price down...

Take all your concerns and use it to negotiate the price down. Eg. If it has a trailer hitch you have to assume it pulled a load, also assume it pulled it on a regular basis. That should drop the asking price by a few thousand right off the bat. There is very little the salesperson can come back with other than buy our extended warrenty (max is 2 years given the year of vehicle and max of 7 years honda is willing to warrenty on certified vehicles). Your rebuttal to that is to ask they throw in the warrenty.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would look for a 07 and up (for peace of mind of the tranny)...but if you like this one, talk about the PAX tires for a discount.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
tC_demon said:
I would look for a 07 and up (for peace of mind of the tranny)...
You see that quote around here a lot...yet it appears the '07+ have a lot more problems. There's a 60 page thread on TC problems and there's a few '05/'06 owners in the mix but a ton of '07/'08 and at relatively low miles. We're over 70k miles and the transmission has performed fine. We've had just about every other early model issue...but once fixed the only one that's persisted has been the power steering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts