Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Odyssey EX-L with 600 miles on it. I first experienced hesitation on acceleration at low (10-15 mph) speeds on a slight incline when there was a little over 200 miles on the car. When I would press the accelerator lightly, there was no response as if the engine died. I would continue to press the accelerator and suddenly it would respond with a lurch. At first, the hesitation happened after rounding a curve following a "rolling" stop. It has happened several times since then and now it even does it when driving straight on level roads.

It is at the Honda dealer now for the third time and their mechanic stated it happened when he was driving it with instrumentation hooked to the data port. The service rep said they downloaded all the data from the Odyssey's computer and sensors and sent it to Honda tech who said the data was "normal" (inconclusive) and asked for more data. The service rep said if nothing new comes up they may have to replace the Odyssey's computer.

The first time I took it to the dealer, I was told the mechanic reset/rebooted the sensor for the device that runs the ECO feature-the one that shuts down two of the cylinders for improved economy.

I have reported the problem twice to Honda Corporate at 1-800-999-1009 and have been assigned a case number and a rep called me to say they will work with the dealer to fix the problem.

This is my first Honda and I am very disappointed. Everyone I have talked with who own Odyssey's tell me they are "bulletproof" and they just love them.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, how was it resolved?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 2011 Odyssey EX-L with 600 miles on it. I first experienced hesitation on acceleration at low (10-15 mph) speeds on a slight incline when there was a little over 200 miles on the car. When I would press the accelerator lightly, there was no response as if the engine died. I would continue to press the accelerator and suddenly it would respond with a lurch. At first, the hesitation happened after rounding a curve following a "rolling" stop. It has happened several times since then and now it even does it when driving straight on level roads.

It is at the Honda dealer now for the third time and their mechanic stated it happened when he was driving it with instrumentation hooked to the data port. The service rep said they downloaded all the data from the Odyssey's computer and sensors and sent it to Honda tech who said the data was "normal" (inconclusive) and asked for more data. The service rep said if nothing new comes up they may have to replace the Odyssey's computer.

The first time I took it to the dealer, I was told the mechanic reset/rebooted the sensor for the device that runs the ECO feature-the one that shuts down two of the cylinders for improved economy.

I have reported the problem twice to Honda Corporate at 1-800-999-1009 and have been assigned a case number and a rep called me to say they will work with the dealer to fix the problem.

This is my first Honda and I am very disappointed. Everyone I have talked with who own Odyssey's tell me they are "bulletproof" and they just love them.

welcome!!

can you descibe more of what's happening? is it totally NON-responsive, just hesitation? pressing the gas pedal lightly?

can you check this other thread? look at the last post (mine).. because I think its the VCM..

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/149556-2011-ody-weak-off-idle-response.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
We live in an area with a lot of steep hills and my 2011 has been doing what you described since the day I brought it home. I feel like the little old lady, driving in the slow lane up the hill because my 2011 doesn't have the power that my 2001 did. It is especially difficult to accelerate after stopping at a stop sign and then trying to continue up hill. :nope:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you also noticed it ever stuttering when shifting from second to third? I am not talking about a very normal single "back and forth" motion when shifting, but a "back, forth, back forth..." maybe two or three times. My wife has even noticed this. Starting to really worry about the transmission and I have only a little over 1000 miles on my new touring elite. It does not always happen, but at least once every trip. I plan on having the dealer drive it this week and will let everyone know what they say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi! I'm wondering if this "hesitation problem" is just happening on the touring and t. elite vans? I think the 6 spd. trans. is only in those models, so wonder if the problem is unique to those two models or not?

Thanks.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Hi! I'm wondering if this "hesitation problem" is just happening on the touring and t. elite vans? I think the 6 spd. trans. is only in those models, so wonder if the problem is unique to those two models or not?

Thanks.
The OP has an EX-L so the hesitation problem he describes is with a 5 speed. Our EX-RES has not experienced this problem.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can you guys try to drive it like you stole it.. Like really press the gas-- just give it a try and not worry about your MPG.. Lets see. Tnx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is totally non-responsive as if the engine quit. I continue pressing-not hard- but as I continue to press the accelerator and nothing happens...then the engines responds with a surge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No stuttering but I have noticed a sort of vibration at 35-50 as if I were driving on rumble strips-like the ones on the shoulders of interstate highways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
when i first started driving my 2011 i had this same issue... i use my left foot for breaking...this Honda cuts engine power when brake pedal is touched...changed driving habit, and no more engine hesitation...this may or may not be your problem...hope this helps some one.....joncar

·
Registered
755 Posts
Have you also noticed it ever stuttering when shifting from second to third? I am not talking about a very normal single "back and forth" motion when shifting, but a "back, forth, back forth..." maybe two or three times. My wife has even noticed this. Starting to really worry about the transmission and I have only a little over 1000 miles on my new touring elite. It does not always happen, but at least once every trip. I plan on having the dealer drive it this week and will let everyone know what they say.
Mine does that too and it's annoying as hell... I don't remember which gears it does that but I remember that happening quite often.

·
Registered
61 Posts
noticed the same in my touring elite. I attributed it to the eco mode and to a relatively small engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you think it is a transmission problem, or just the way the car shifts? I have never driven another Touring or Touring Elite, so I have no baseline to compare it to.

I am still trying to set up a time to have the dealer drive it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I get the hesitations on our Touring... it's the drive-by-wire wondering if you meant it, very very annoying. My 2001 Ody responded like lightning, the 2006 a little worse, and this one worst of all. If you are in the habit of laying on the gas, I think the tranny will adapt and respond faster. I alternate between days of ECO sipping and throttling and the van doesn't respond like I want it to.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have the same problem with the hesitation in acceleration! I have had it into the shop two times. Today they offered to "buy" mine off of me but I have to pay them an additional $2,000. when I asked if anyone had this problem before they said no! The service rep said they downloaded all the data from the Odyssey's computer and sensors and sent it to Honda tech who said the data was "normal" (inconclusive) and asked for more data. I hate to have to re-purchase the same car and have the same problem again! Keeps costing me money!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just posted my experiences here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/150081-hard-shifting.html

Something is not right with at least some of the 2011 Odyssey's. This is our 5th Odyssey and I am not even sure I want them to buy the van back so I can get another one unless I am sure this is a fluke because the shifting behavior is a really big problem and if it is related to this hesitation it doesn't bode well. Hoping for the best, but as you can see from my post in the above link I have Honda Corporate with me now trying to make it right and so far I am happy to have done that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is totally non-responsive as if the engine quit. I continue pressing-not hard- but as I continue to press the accelerator and nothing happens...then the engines responds with a surge.
Pretty sure it's the variable speed int he engine I've learned the Honda only uses the cylinders it needs to perform it's task. So you only get the full 6 cylinder feel when you goose it and I believe that takes a second or so to accomplish that. After I've surged it, my engine feels like it breaks as it reduces down from 6 to less. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts