Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 2019 EX-L Odyssey hasn’t done this yet, and I’m hoping it doesn’t start, but I’m sure interested in what becomes of it, if anything, with Honda Corp.

What’s strange is my 2014 Accord, V6, with the six spd trans does this. It’s exactly how you have explained it, and the dealership, for some reason has no clue, can’t duplicate, etc, etc....
It is very dangerous for sure, especially making left hand turns in my situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The van is at the dealer since yesterday morning. Initially they called me back to say they couldn't recreate the issue. They thought the issue was a purposeful limiting the power available while making a hard turn. But once I gave detailed troubleshooting steps directly to the guy test-driving vs the service advisor, he called back to say he could feel what I was "interpreting" to be the issue. Said there were no error codes or diagnostic issues he could find with his equipment that could indicate there was something to fix. After talking it through with him, and insisting it was a dangerous issue that our friend's identical van doesn't have, he decided he would get his mechanic to reset the software to erase whatever it has "learned" about driving habits etc. to start fresh again. I'll drive again with the software reset and see if this solves the issue - just wanted to update all of you who may be following along. Appreciate your help and insights.

cc @fuego @Hodna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After driving for a few days, the software update did not fix the issue. Not sure what options I have left, but doesn't seem like there is much left to be done about it...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry it didn’t improve it. Just feel the corporate love from Honda that we all are feeling.

There’s nothing that customers can do to fix it. It must be American Honda.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have logged several posts on this forum re "stumbling" or "hesitation" or "you-could-die-soon" behavior from our 2018 Elite with the 10-speed. So it is not exclusive at all to the 9-speed POS.

Purchased our Ody in mid-2017 - one of the first shipped to SoCA. Had a 2006 EX-L that was excellent over 12 years.
I worried that being an Early Adopter caused my issue; thanks to other posters with newer vehicles that doesn't seem to be the case - so thanks for that, lol!

The problem surfaced 6-9 months after purchase. Contacted dealer, did test runs etc and there was error codes to be found. Filed official case with Honda HQ - still waiting for a response 3 years later.

I doubt if anyone from Honda HQ reads these forums - but on the 1% chance they do:

THIS IS A DEADLY PROBLEM.
WHEN SOMEONE (OR MANY) GETS SERIOUSLY INJURED AND/OR DIES AND THE SHARK LAWYERS FILE A CLASS ACTION SUITE, THESE POSTS WILL BE PART OF THE EVIDENCE THEY BRING TO COURT TO PROVE THAT YOU KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND REFUSED TO ACTIVELY PURSUIT A REMEDY.

I'm no Master Auto Mechanic but it has to be inside the millions of lines of code running the various computer systems either the Engine Management module or the Trans Module or both. Since it is happening in the 9-speed and the 10-speed, and (I assume) those Trans controllers are different, that tends to point to engine management.

Who knows? - with all the new electronics introduced in this generation, it could be tied to the 12v main battery being such a weak component with the auto start function. Which I always turn off.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
178 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you say software update, are you talking about this service bulletin? We had the same issue and also would slam into gear around 25mph. After the service bulletin was applied, no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you say software update, are you talking about this service bulletin? We had the same issue and also would slam into gear around 25mph. After the service bulletin was applied, no issues.
that looks promising. Has this helped anyone with their transmission problems?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
that looks promising. Has this helped anyone with their transmission problems?
Likely that I'm not technical enough but the dealer spent time going back and forth with me and supposedly updated the software and anything else and it didn't fix the issue for me. Evidently @Aclement1618 had the issue solved with that service bulletin but it doesn't seem to have helped mine at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Touring had the same problem with a slight hesitation from a dead stop. It had it from the time I purchased it. It was very slight and not noticeable enough for my wife to complain about. Since it only felt that way from a stop, I thought it was an air flow or air volume issue. I never thought it was a transmission issue. I changed to a K&N high flow air filter and the hesitation from dead stop seemed to go a way. YMMV

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2019 Touring had the same problem with a slight hesitation from a dead stop. It had it from the time I purchased it. It was very slight and not noticeable enough for my wife to complain about. Since it only felt that way from a stop, I thought it was an air flow or air volume issue. I never thought it was a transmission issue. I changed to a K&N high flow air filter and the hesitation from dead stop seemed to go a way. YMMV
I would suggest doing a little more research on that K&N air filter especially if you are in a dusty area. They have been proven to let dust into the intake and engines with no real benefit to performance.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
178 Posts
I would suggest doing a little more research on that K&N air filter especially if you are in a dusty area. They have been proven to let dust into the intake and engines with no real benefit to performance.
This, they let in a lot more air (dust and crap included) you do get tiny performance gain +1-2hp. Not worth the stuff getting in the engine though. I’d pass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now for what sounds like the same thing. Mine seems to only happen on a downhill slope. If you idle or feather the peddle enough to get the RPMs to 1.5k RPMs then accelerate hard there’s a lag in acceleration. I was able to recreate it right after they reset the learning in the transmission as well. Heading in this morning so they can data log it during the anomaly since the tech can’t seem to recreate on his own.
Tried this on the way home, and did not have any trouble keeping the speed/RPMs constant with steady pedal pressure.

However, excitingly, while in sport mode I identified a way to recreate the issue every time. This should help me greatly in communicating the issue to the dealer.

The issue is actually the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but only when the pressure on the accelerator is released briefly and then pressed again. i.e. if you keep even pressure on the pedal while shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is no issue. If, however, you start to accelerate in 1st, then let off the gas pedal shift to 2nd and hit the pedal again there is a significant lag time before the throttle responds.

Once I figured this out in sport mode I could recreate the sensation in regular Drive mode every time by gently starting to accelerate, let off the pressure at about 5 mph and pressing the pedal again. This is why left hand turns are problematic, because you start to ease into the intersection let off the gas then try to hit it again to make the turn.

Previously, I thought it wasn't responding at all from a dead stop, but evidently I was wrong - it starts to respond in 1st gear but quickly starts switching to 2nd and lags in the transition.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts