Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Lilfish, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your 2019 EX-L a 10-speed? I have a 9-speed 2018 EX and have experienced the same thing. It hasn't happened too much lately. I question whether the cause is actually in the transmission. Could it be the gas pedal software, if there is any? I don't think there is a throttle cable. The signal for more power is sent by wire instead.
It's the touring and elite models that have the ten speed - to the best of my knowledge, my '19 EX-L with navi is still the 9 speed tranny. I agree though that it is not the transmission itself causing issues, but a software issue. The transmission shifts smoothly when steady power is applied to the pedal and on higher gear shifts. It's only at low speeds when you are pressing and letting off the pedal and then pressing again that seems to cause an issue, which I'm assuming is a software glitch. Seems like the computer is thinking (technical term) about whether it needs to stay in 1st or switch to 2nd gear. Once it makes up it's mind (again pardon the technical jargon), and switches into 2nd then it tries to catch up to where it should have been already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ladies and gents. I had to let go of this car. After getting those excuses from the service manager and knowing that we weren't going to get support or any fixes, my wife and I didn't want to take any chances and we sold it. My wife didn't want to take any chances as just one bad scenario with getting no response from the vehicle could be a VERY BAD SCENARIO. I'm still going to be watching that class action lawsuit as more updates come through.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,132 Posts
Ladies and gents. I had to let go of this car. After getting those excuses from the service manager and knowing that we weren't going to get support or any fixes, my wife and I didn't want to take any chances and we sold it. My wife didn't want to take any chances as just one bad scenario with getting no response from the vehicle could be a VERY BAD SCENARIO. I'm still going to be watching that class action lawsuit as more updates come through.
Can't say I blame you. Can you let us know what you replace it with? Good luck...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Almost at this point myself, and Carvana offer is more than the pre-tax amount I paid for it 18 months ago. Going back to the dealer in the morning to try one more time but likely to ask them what they would give for it to see what all my options are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW they did a throttle bottle reset and a transmission reset and the problem went away after the throttle body reset. I was able to repeat it by letting the van idle up to ~1.5k rpms before applying the gas. Always happened to my wife on the left turn on a downward sloping hill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sounds like a slightly different issue than what I was having if it was only on a downward slope, but glad you were able to solve it @Spomm.

The dealer updated the software again on ours this week, but flat out told me they did not have a "permanent" solution until Honda releases a software patch to address the issue. I could still recreate the issue after the software update, so my wife still wasn't comfortable driving it. Checked the selling price again, and the Kelly Blue Book instant sale offer was higher than I paid for the van 16 months and 10k+ miles ago, so we decided to just sell and go back to one car for now. The dealer that purchased it told me they only have 25% of their normal inventory right now, so they were glad to buy it. Hoping to make it to the end of the year sharing our CR-V with my wife, and then start shopping next year for a replacement.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,132 Posts
Thanks, Spomm. My parking brake makes a noise too but just a low grade wine sound. It's kind of good in that you know the brake has engaged. If yours is loud, perhaps a trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a slightly different issue than what I was having if it was only on a downward slope, but glad you were able to solve it @Spomm.

The dealer updated the software again on ours this week, but flat out told me they did not have a "permanent" solution until Honda releases a software patch to address the issue. I could still recreate the issue after the software update, so my wife still wasn't comfortable driving it. Checked the selling price again, and the Kelly Blue Book instant sale offer was higher than I paid for the van 16 months and 10k+ miles ago, so we decided to just sell and go back to one car for now. The dealer that purchased it told me they only have 25% of their normal inventory right now, so they were glad to buy it. Hoping to make it to the end of the year sharing our CR-V with my wife, and then start shopping next year for a replacement.
Good for you that you're unloading it. We have the same Ody 2019 EX-L. And, the same transmission problem. This is a serious safety issue.

Honda America was unhelpful and worthless. They stonewalled my inquiries and closed our case without advising us. Complete disrespect for customers. This is the first and last Honda for us.

There's a Toyota Siena in our future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea mine was pretty loud. They diagnosed as a faulty actuator and are replacing it today.

Thanks, Spomm. My parking brake makes a noise too but just a low grade wine sound. It's kind of good in that you know the brake has engaged. If yours is loud, perhaps a trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can reproduce the issue. if i push the gas from stop take the foot off accelerator, wait 2 seconds, then hit the accelerator again, it will hesitate. it doesnt happen all the time though

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
213 Posts
It’s a good time to sell I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
So any resolution to this. It is almost 4 years now. Does anyone driving with slow acceleration in first to second gear still. I have 2018 9 speed LX trim (located in Toronto).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,
So any resolution to this. It is almost 4 years now. Does anyone driving with slow acceleration in first to second gear still. I have 2018 9 speed LX trim (located in Toronto).
Forgot where I got this video from, but it's on how to remap the transmission. I haven't done it myself so I'm not sure if it works or not. Most people in the comments that used this were complaining about the jerky shift, but I'd assume that it would work with your application as well.

I'd read up more on it since I'm not an expert.

Edit: Original post and credit goes to @Wankelgang , which said that it worked on their 2019 EXL. Hopefully, Wankel could give us some insight on if they've ever experienced the hesitant throttle and if a remap fixed it or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot where I got this video from, but it's on how to remap the transmission. I haven't done it myself so I'm not sure if it works or not. Most people in the comments that used this were complaining about the jerky shift, but I'd assume that it would work with your application as well.

I'd read up more on it since I'm not an expert.

Edit: Original post and credit goes to @Wankelgang , which said that it worked on their 2019 EXL. Hopefully, Wankel could give us some insight on if they've ever experienced the hesitant throttle and if a remap fixed it or not.

I think for my case instead of reset manually, i got an appointment to perform this TSB 19-124, applicable for 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Had some free time. Read the posts. Hard to believe, 2018, and Honda Corp, still playing the "same" game.(n)
And Customers, still picking Odyssey over Sienna, based on safety crash test. (An unreliable van, may cause a crash).

Honda is living on it's "past" reputation. Consumer Reports years ago, gave Odyssey, below average score.
Seems the average buyer, is more concerned with features/looks/price, than "reliability". IMHO

Still driving my 2001, Odyssey, 222,000 miles. 4th tranny. 20 years ago, Honda could not design the tranny correctly. And now, 2018, Honda still has not figured it out...:rolleyes:

Good luck to all.:)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey EX Diamond Pearl White
4 Posts
Fixed!! Had the exact same problem with my 2018 Odyssey EX but I didn't think it was a transmission problem rather a TPS or Throttle Position Sensor problem. To cut story short I reset and reprogrammed the TPS and here's what I did:

1. Removed the negative terminal of the battery for 10 mins. this will reset the TPS.

2. Reconnect the battery, turn on engine and turned off everything incl AC, RADIO ETC...Drove around for 5-to10 mins then parked and turned off engine to save data (note: during this 1st drive i already did not feel any hesitation on stop and go)

3. Drive the van again and this time with radio and AC ON. I drove for good 15 mins and van felt really good and responsive! Good luck! Hope this helps.

** When driving around, drive in a normal fashion and do not floor the pedal since you are reprograming the TPS ..drive around the block with lotsa stop and go.

4. Get a Beer! :)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts