Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mommyvan said:
Hey Big_Mosquito,

What did Honda say was actually wrong with your engine?
The dealer simply described the cause of the engine failure as a lack of oil pressure in the engine - as in 0 oil pressure. They tried to replace a couple of components but were not successful in getting oil pressure - and were forced to scrap the engine after running it without oil during their testing. I don't believe that they ever found the cause and they ended up crating it up and sending it back to Honda for an autopsy. I don't think I will ever know what exactly happened now.

I was pretty distraught about the engine failure when it occurred since the car was brand new - but I am forgetting that it ever happened as time goes on.

Edit: Oops, I wrote this post from a computer in my home that I haven't used in a while. I used to use the user name 'breinders' but switched to 'big_mosquito'. The last time I used this computer, however, I was still using 'breinders' and therefore I was automatically logged on as 'breinders' and didn't even notice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi all,
I live in Maplewood and bought my van from Burnsville, Honda. I could not get Buerkle Honda to provide an internet quote so I took the internet quote I received from Burnsville and walked into Buerkle to see if they would either match or beat the price. The sales person face went white when he saw the price and he told me I would have to wait and talk to Scott who was at the auto show. I said no thanks and went to Burnsville. I took a road trip to Washington, D.C. in July and the van ran great and averaged 23.5 MPG.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Jstenuf: We are neighbor's then as I live in Mahtomedi. I just tracked my mileage for the first time at about 17 for all in town driving. I was pleased with that and would expect to get at least twenty on our drive to Florida at Christmas. Do you service your van in Burnsville?

·
Registered
136 Posts
perennialclark said:
Hi Jstenuf: We are neighbor's then as I live in Mahtomedi. I just tracked my mileage for the first time at about 17 for all in town driving. I was pleased with that and would expect to get at least twenty on our drive to Florida at Christmas. Do you service your van in Burnsville?
Yes, I have the car serviced at Burnsville. So far the experience has been excellent.
I call and make an early morning appointment drop the car off and go have breakfast.
The service manager even had someone take me to the coffee shop

·
Registered
16 Posts
It has been along time since I have posted on here so I thought now would be a good time to chime in again. We live in Plymouth, MN and bought our 03 EX from Mankato Honda in Oct. 2002. We bought it there because they gave us the best deal. I called every Honda dealer in MN and two in WI and Mankato gave us the best quote and trade in value for our Subaru Outback. I have a friend that works in a parts dept in IA so I bought all of my accessories from him (bug deflector, mudflaps, hitch kit). The only problem I have really had is the orginal tires wore out really quick (21000 miles) so I had to buy new ones (Nokian WR). These tires are much better than the Michelins. We are at 46000 miles now and still going on strong.

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dear bigtomhammer,

Wow! That's really soon for tires to wear out!!! Do you find that the new tires reduce the road noise better than the originals? (I read in the '05 forum that different tires really help with that on the '05s.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, the road noise is much lower than with the Michelins. And as for snow, I am not worried at all anymore. It seemed like the van wouldn't go very well in the snow but now, there is no comparison.

I believe the tires wore out so soon is because of the tire pressure being so low from honda. When you drive the van the front tires looked so compressed on the sidewall but according to Honda, it is the correct pressure. So with the Nokians, I run about 39lbs in each tire and they are wearing great. Got about 23000 miles on them and they are about 7/32 left (from 11/32). Of course, this is my personal opinion and who knows what I know.

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
bigtomhammer,

I agree that Honda sets their tire pressure recommendations too low. I keep all my wheels at 36 psi (as opposed to 33 front and 35 rear). It gives me the ride I want and has enough room so that I don't have to worry about a blowout in the summer. I have been considering getting different tires because of some road noise. I have to research my options. (I wouldn't even think about the road noise, except that my three-year-old speaks so softly that I have to keep asking her to repeat herself and talk a little louder.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ok, I don't really have anything to add to this thread, but I have to say I love the username "Big Mosquito", ha ha!!

I'm in the Madison, WI area, and have been to Mankato and Fairmont, and through Rochester, actually went to Stillwater for my honeymoon! MN and WI are both great states, despite the mosquitos.

Just wanted to chime in and say "hey".

Go Packers! :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
WI06EX,

Hello and welcome to the thread!! I pass through Madison on my way to Ohio every Christmas. (We usually stop at the Highway V exit, Dane and Deforest, off of I-90 for gas and a meal at Culvers.) Have been to the Lands End Outlet (or is it Inlet?) store in Madison. Made the mistake of doing that when the UW-Madison Badgers were playing at home! People and cars EVERYWHERE!!! I haven't figured out how it happens, but there is almost always construction going on in and around Madison.

Being from Northern Ohio, I cheer for the Cleveland Browns. Yeah, I know they stink--but I'll always be a fan.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mommyvan said:
WI06EX,

Hello and welcome to the thread!! I pass through Madison on my way to Ohio every Christmas. (We usually stop at the Highway V exit, Dane and Deforest, off of I-90 for gas and a meal at Culvers.) Have been to the Lands End Outlet (or is it Inlet?) store in Madison. Made the mistake of doing that when the UW-Madison Badgers were playing at home! People and cars EVERYWHERE!!! I haven't figured out how it happens, but there is almost always construction going on in and around Madison.

Being from Northern Ohio, I cheer for the Cleveland Browns. Yeah, I know they stink--but I'll always be a fan.
I'm on the far west side of Madison, so I don't get over by the DeForest area much.

Nothing wrong with being a Browns fan! They will get it together one of these years.

Hope you have good driving weather for your annual trip to OH.
Here is a link to the WI dept of transportation daily road conditions report, may be useful for you when the time comes!
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/road/winter-roads.htm

John

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
John,

Thanks for the link to the WI road conditions report. I'm sure we will take a look at it before we go. Are you from WI originally?

I find it hard to believe that the Browns will ever get it together, but they may have the most loyal fans in all of football! Must be the eternal hope that they will straighten up their act. ;-)

We have gotten our first snow. About two inches fell and it stayed on the grass and on driveways, but not on the road. I would have thought that the ground was too warm for it to stick anywhere. Made a snowman with my 3-year-old today. We are supposed to have snow each day Monday through Thursday next week. That will make my 3-year-old happy!

Have a good weekend!

Karen

·
Registered
215 Posts
West Lakeland in the house....:stupid:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mommyvan said:
Where is West Lakeland?
It's east of Lake Elmo.... Easturn burbs... Small township... We have the lowest property taxes in the metro.... ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring... 03 Midnight Blue EXL with 97K miles on it now.

I mentioned all the stuff I've done to it so far in the introductions forum HERE.

It's been a great investment so far as we are using it for longer trips (one to TX this sumer).

Any interests in a meet, one where we could do general maintenance, and grill and make a fun time out of it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
ever thought of a meet? but then again an ody meet happens everwhere in the country every time there is a soccer game.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts