Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How's it going? I just picked up my first Odyssey. I've always been into vans. I used to own a Mazda5 which I super regret getting rid of. I've also always wanted a Previa. And have always been into old classic vans. All that said, I'm super stoked to have an Odyssey after researching a bunch and debating between this and a Sienna I decided that in my taste the Odyssey is much better looking in a lot of ways. The van I picked up is a '12 Touring (and after doing some research it turns out that its actually an Elite so double bonus there). It's kinda high mileage but it's been well maintained and it's by far the most optioned vehicle I've ever owned for the money. Anyway, I have plans for this van. I plan on lowering it. Most likely with coilovers but I'm having a hard time keeping my mind off of air bags. I'll be looking into wheels and probably asking a million questions (don't worry, I'll use the search function first ;) and things like probably a grill and blacked out lights (whatever the proper terminology is) I've been lurking here for a few days and look forward to learning from you guys.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,290 Posts
Welcome! I'd make sure you muzzle the VCM so your engine can have a happy life.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,290 Posts
Wow, that's good to know! I think I'll get right on that actually. Have you used one yourself? If so has it been helpful? Thanks for the heads up.
Fortunately, my Ody doesn't have VCM since it's a 3rd gen EX. Starting with the 4th gen (what you have), VCM is equipped on all trim levels.

There's plenty of information on this forum already on VCM, but the gist of it is that it's a technology Honda has to implement to meet EPA regulations, but over time it will damage your piston rings (causing oil burning), damage your motor mounts (which are not cheap if you look up the price!), and cause you other headaches. Disabling it will prevent all that at the cost of 1 or 2 mpg, which most will argue is worth it.

There are several devices around to disable it. They all do by adding resistance to one of the coolant temperature sensors, so that the computer believes that the engine has not warmed up yet (though it doesn't affect the actual engine temperature), so it will not engage VCM.

There are two types of devices: passive and active. Passive devices are cheaper and somewhat easier to install. They involve resistors that can be manually controlled as needed. The downside is they do need to be adjusted as the weather changes. Active devices use a microcontroller that automatically controls the resistance, so you never have to adjust it once you install it. This is what I would recommend. They are a bit more expensive and a little bit more complicated to install, but the only real thing with the installation is you have to run a small wire to the battery, which is really easy, and all these devices come with good instructions.

I would recommend getting the VCM Tuner II from vcmtuner.com. It's a top of the line device and is active so you never have to adjust it. There's also a very good video on YT for how to install it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts