Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a white 2002 EX-RES on order and need to make some decisions about options before it comes in. (Thanks to this board I have learned that we don't have to make a decision about Honda-Care just yet though! Thanks odyclub!)

Is the rust protection a total waste of money? What about the noise shield?

What kind of warranty comes with the rust protection? We live in Chicago and rust is a big problem here.

Thanks for any suggestions and information.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Didn't you just love it last week when they dumped their December allotment of salt on the roads even though there wasn't enough snow to cover the ground?

Doing a search of the internet, I find zero authoritative articles or research saying that there are real benefits to the car owner for rustproofing. There are plenty of ads, though. Some treatments actually make rusting worse, by trapping salt and moisture against the metal.

Some treatments have to be renewed every year. Some of the guarantees really aren't guarantees at all, with limited benefits.

From what I've learned here, I'm just going to wash the van frequently instead of buying a rustproofing package.

Some people have suggested that washing is necessary only when the outside temperature increases to near freezing. I disagree with this because rusting occurs near the engine and other parts that get warm on their own, so I wash more frequently.

If anyone can cite some research to the contrary I'd be very open to it.

We're keeping our '85 Prelude which has no rust on it and we just sold an '88 Lincoln which also had no rust. I'm not convinced that rust is inevitable.

One Ody salesman in the NW Suburbs really leaned on me to buy the rustproofing and "teflon 5-year no wax paint protection." He said, "Don't you care enough about your van to protect it?" I asked him if Honda made quality vehicles that didn't need aftermarket packages, and he couldn't answer that one.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! I tend to agree with you and will probably decline the rust protection. I also noticed that Consumer Reports rates the Odyssey's rust resistance as "very good."

More fun trips through the "tar waas" for my 2 yr old!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ILoddasee:
More fun trips through the "tar waas" for my 2 yr old!
</font>
My youngest likes the tar waas
where the wax sprays out in streams of red, white, and blue.

We use "Touchless" washs only.

Regards,

Maugham

1 - 4 of 4 Posts