Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just retrofitted my '03 Odyssey with an HID kit, FX-R projectors, and relay from the retrofitsource.com. After installing everything my DRL does not work anymore. What I noticed is when the var starts, and after releasing the e-brake, the lights would come on for a split second and got off. Both low and high beams work. The DRL lamp stays on the dash when the headligths are in the off position. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

I am in the same boat with my DRL. I had put in retro projectors with a wire harness relay between the ballasts and Battery on an 03 oddy. The lights would just flash on then turn off when P brake released. I did try to install a capacitor ( as suggested by the folks at FX) to normalize the voltage but it only allowed the lights stay on for about 5 seconds and then they would go off again. As a result , I have to just turn on the lights manually after starting the car until I find a solution to the problem.

Please let me know if you find a resolution to the DRL and HID problem on the oddy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed HID on my civic and the only way around this problem is to disable the DRL. I had to pull two fuses out of the fuse box to disable the DRL and everything worked fine after. It is also better for the bulbs as DRL sends pulsing currents to the bulbs and HID bulbs do not react well to this. I am not so familiar with odyssey electrics and am not sure where the fuses are located. But I know for sure that removing the DRL fuse will fix your problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
question, what is the DRL?
because i just install 9006 low beam hid kit, the drivers turns on fine, but the passenger side, the light flickers and turns off? I noticed you have installed a relay or caps. is this one of the reason? thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
question, what is the DRL?
because i just install 9006 low beam hid kit, the drivers turns on fine, but the passenger side, the light flickers and turns off? I noticed you have installed a relay or caps. is this one of the reason? thanks.
In Canada it is mandatory that cars made after 1990 to have day time running lights (DRL) I believe the newer cars in the US come with the DRL now

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FX-R Retrofit

The DRL circuit had cracks on the soldering joints which caused the DRL problem. It is now fixed. However, I found out that when working correctly, the DRL is actually on high beam on low voltage. Because of the HID upgrade (full power all the time), I cannot use HID as DRL anymore, this would blind on coming traffic. I removed two fuses to diable DRL. I now have to turn on the lights manually if I want lights during the day. There is no solution to this unfortunately problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update, I have the same Fx Retrofit projectors with a solonoid for the high beams, plus a relay wired to the battery. I have now added an extra ground wire (fused just in case) to the low beam wire to the -ve terminal and now my DRL work fine. I assume that the ground wire pulls the full current to the low beam and the lights stay on with the low DRL signal.:DD

I can still turn on the all the lghts with the light switch.
I understand that the system send the power for the DRL out the high beam wire, but the ground wire on the low beam seems to make things all work fine. The exception is the my DRL (orange) light stays on during the daytime.:huh:

I should check the solders on the DRL control box just to make sure that I don't have cracks in my 2003 as well.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
There is no solution to this unfortunately problem.
Yes, there is.
I tapped the front left parking light wire to the ACC fuse/circuit. I pass inspection as the parking lights are now on as soon as I turn the key to ACC or the first position and they act as DRL. I've had this set up for a few years now. Many vehicles use their parking lights as the DRL feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts