Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hi on my list. Anyone done it yet? Recommended kits? Best ballast location?

I've got a xenondepot kit in my mdx and it's perfect after 6 years so they'll prolly get my repeat business but it's nice to know what ya'll have done
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
727 Posts
vqdriver said:
This is hi on my list. Anyone done it yet? Recommended kits? Best ballast location?

I've got a xenondepot kit in my mdx and it's perfect after 6 years so they'll prolly get my repeat business but it's nice to know what ya'll have done
Can one fit the Honda parts from the Touring model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: HID conversion

i assume you mean the touring elite hids. it's probably doable, but i don't know if honda would sell just what you need to do a conversion. you'd probably have to buy the entire headlamp assemblies and then all the wiring and relays separately. then macguyver some wiring cuz i don't think theyd use the same harnessing. yada yada...

not really worth the cost when you can get a philips kit for ~250 or a xenondepot kit for ~170 and do a quick retrofit.



Shazzam said:
Can one fit the Honda parts from the Touring model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I just installed the 4300k Phillips kit from xenon depot and have to say I'm really impress. This is the first car that I own in a long time that didn't come with HID. Just took a 1500 miles road trip and I wouldn't have been able to drive at night with out the HID conversion kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Was it easy?

Ultraman ... how long did it take to put in the 4300K?


Do the kits come with pretty clear instructions, and are they specific for the Odyssey?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
727 Posts
Re: Re: Re: HID conversion

vqdriver said:
i assume you mean the touring elite hids. it's probably doable, but i don't know if honda would sell just what you need to do a conversion. you'd probably have to buy the entire headlamp assemblies and then all the wiring and relays separately. then macguyver some wiring cuz i don't think theyd use the same harnessing. yada yada...

not really worth the cost when you can get a philips kit for ~250 or a xenondepot kit for ~170 and do a quick retrofit.
I think if you go to the Honda parts counter and order what you need, Honda will sell it to you. After all, if your vehicle is in a front end crash the body shop repairing the car will be ordering all of the same parts.

The question of what you need is a separate one, but I am sure a Honda parts specialist can help out. I was just wondering whether anyone has don a stock conversion.

Other than the 6 speed transmission, the only other option on the Touring (Elite in the USA) is the HID lights. I doubt there is a completely different wiring harness for a vehicle with HID. I'm betting the main wiring harnesses are the same in all models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i don't know how interested you are in the minutia of HIDs but i think you're referring to swapping the headlamps with oem HIDs. it wouldn't be a "conversion" necessarily
you'll see in my signature that that's what i did with my maxima. i did a wholesale oem swap halogen for HID. that was a swap, on the acura it was a conversion.

if so, i guess i'd be interested in that as well. tho i'm pretty sure it would be cost prohibitive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
ive popped my hood the other day and by the way the things

are assembled, it seems like youre gona have to remove some

stuff out of the way to install a kit in there. But since all the

11 odys come with projector headlights, it seems like youre not

gona have to worry a lot aboout the glaring issue, even tho

its the halogen projectors. good luck!! and post pics when youre

done:D

P.S. these days pnp kits arent hard to install. just get a set of

hids, a relay, and you'll be good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Re: Was it easy?

Acurafan said:
Ultraman ... how long did it take to put in the 4300K?


Do the kits come with pretty clear instructions, and are they specific for the Odyssey?

Thanks in advance.
It only took me 2 hours to do everything was plug and play if you carefully read and follow all the direction you should not have any problem at all. The hardest part was trying to get your hand in the area that you need to screw the bulbs in place.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
727 Posts
vqdriver said:
i don't know how interested you are in the minutia of HIDs but i think you're referring to swapping the headlamps with oem HIDs. it wouldn't be a "conversion" necessarily
you'll see in my signature that that's what i did with my maxima. i did a wholesale oem swap halogen for HID. that was a swap, on the acura it was a conversion.

if so, i guess i'd be interested in that as well. tho i'm pretty sure it would be cost prohibitive.
Semantics, but OK. A non elite vehicle will have regular headlights and an elite will have Honda HID lights. I want those lights in an EX-L. So is that a conversion or a swap? I'm not taking them out of another car I have or another car the dealer has on the lot (that would be a swap) so I'm converting the car from one without HID to one with HID. I'm "converting" or "changing" as opposed to "swapping" or "trading".

Anyway, I'm sure it will be more expensive than getting an after-market kit, otherwise there would be no business model for after-market makers.

Anyone checked out the Honda parts costs??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How was your milage on that trip? I assume a lot of highway miles with the VCM engaged?

ultraman875 said:
I just installed the 4300k Phillips kit from xenon depot and have to say I'm really impress. This is the first car that I own in a long time that didn't come with HID. Just took a 1500 miles road trip and I wouldn't have been able to drive at night with out the HID conversion kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Shazzam said:
Semantics, but OK. A non elite vehicle will have regular headlights and an elite will have Honda HID lights. I want those lights in an EX-L. So is that a conversion or a swap? I'm not taking them out of another car I have or another car the dealer has on the lot (that would be a swap) so I'm converting the car from one without HID to one with HID. I'm "converting" or "changing" as opposed to "swapping" or "trading".

Anyway, I'm sure it will be more expensive than getting an after-market kit, otherwise there would be no business model for after-market makers.
Confusing, but I think the implied semantics here are:

Conversion implies using an HID conversion kit with stock
Non-HID headlamp assemblies (and living with the glare issues/
light dispersion issues).

Swap means "swapping" the existing Non-HID headlight
assemblies with HID headlight assemblies (intended for a
Touring elite), then using either Honda's ballasts and bulbs or
using an aftermarket conversion kit to get the ballasts and
bulbs.

I think the swap method is likely to give the best results
(assuming the headlamp assemblies fit properly, which they
probably would). I'm also waiting for someone to try the swap
method and report back.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
727 Posts
rjcmstar said:
Confusing, but I think the implied semantics here are:

Conversion implies using an HID conversion kit with stock
Non-HID headlamp assemblies (and living with the glare issues/
light dispersion issues).

Swap means "swapping" the existing Non-HID headlight
assemblies with HID headlight assemblies (intended for a
Touring elite), then using either Honda's ballasts and bulbs or
using an aftermarket conversion kit to get the ballasts and
bulbs.

I think the swap method is likely to give the best results
(assuming the headlamp assemblies fit properly, which they
probably would). I'm also waiting for someone to try the swap
method and report back.
Agreed. I'd just like the EX-L to have the exact same lights as the Touring (Touring Elite in USA). I prefer to stay away from after market stuff (blue tint lights, etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just for fun, here's the cost breakdown to do an oem swap:

housing - 402
control unit - 193
ignitor - 217
bulb - 199

these prices are per side.
they're msrp so you may find it cheaper down the road. but c'mon, if you're going to put down for the swap you shoulda just bought the elite.


for clarification, i am a big big proponent of using OEM parts whenever possible, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
vqdriver said:
just for fun, here's the cost breakdown to do an oem swap:

housing - 402
control unit - 193
ignitor - 217
bulb - 199
I looked at Bernardi online and got these discount prices:

housing - $294.95
control unit - 141.79
ignitor - 159.42
d2s bulb - 146.27

The housing includes all the bulbs EXCEPT the d2s.
That's $742.43 (plus shipping) total per side. Ouch. It's also
not clear from the diagram what wiring changes would be
required to connect to the control unit. A quick google search
found I could get a pair of d2s bulbs for $49, which brings the
cost down to about $621 per side, which is still pretty pricey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
i wonder how they're gona install the auto leveling thingie O___O
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top