Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had my Odyssey Touring Elite for a few days. I took the vehicle out at night and with the headlights on the demarcation line between light and dark is very sharp and it’s constantly moving up and down due to car movements. For example when going down a hill the headlights almost point at the ground in front of the vehicle and when going up hill they point high in the sky. It is like a bobbing shadow that moves up and down according to the vehicles movements.

This only happens with the low beams. The high beams are fine.

I had the dealer re-adjust the beams, but that hasn't worked. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
755 Posts
auto-leveling headlights

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am used to the top part of the light blending into the darkness at the top part of the beam instead of such a sharp cutoff between bright and pitch black

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richysh

So if I go over a bump and the front end is pointing up or down a slope, the head lights should auto- level according to the slope? If so, that could be part of the problem I am having. If I go over a hill the lights point WAY over the street signs and down a hill it points right in front of the vehicle ( maybe 30 feet tops)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Your headlights wouldn't change its level just by going over a bump. But when the vehicle is on the road with hills, then yes because the sensor will detect that your vehicle is not on the flat-leveled ground. I don't think your vehicle has any problem because I remember ours doing the same too. I'm not sure why it works that way though... Because I think it should work the opposite.

·
Registered
632 Posts
HID Auto leveling acts like that in order not to blind the incoming traffic towards you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"But" if I am going over a hill and the headlights points way up won't I be blinding oncoming traffic which is what I think I am doing?

·
Registered
755 Posts
HID Auto leveling acts like that in order not to blind the incoming traffic towards you.
we know the purpose of it. But why would the headlights shoot upward when going up a hill instead of shooting downward and why would the headlights shoot downward when going down a hill instead of shooting upward? thats the main question.

·
Registered
196 Posts
reversed leveling...

we know the purpose of it. But why would the headlights shoot upward when going up a hill instead of shooting downward and why would the headlights shoot downward when going down a hill instead of shooting upward? thats the main question.
The answer to OP is that this is auto-leveling at work. But richysh is absolutely right, it should be the doing the opposite movements.

FWIW, a friend with a 2007 Acura TL complains that her HID actually don't do much auto-leveling at all (compared to her boyfriend's 2002 Lexus IS).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this feature on all models? I have experienced this on my EXL and find it very disconcerting at night.
I too believe it should work the opposite way!

RCAV8TOR

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is this feature on all models? I have experienced this on my EXL and find it very disconcerting at night.
I too believe it should work the opposite way!

RCAV8TOR
EX-L does not have auto-leveling or HID lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote:=cderalow] EX-L does not have auto-leveling or HID lights.

Are you sure? I have the same symtoms as Slim7063 describes shown in the quote below.
And if not, then What am I seeing???
It's like somone put a mask over half of the headlights with a sharp demarcation line when going downhill that only lights the road for about two carlengths.

I took the vehicle out at night and with the headlights on the demarcation line between light and dark is very sharp and it’s constantly moving up and down due to car movements. For example when going down a hill the headlights almost point at the ground in front of the vehicle and when going up hill they point high in the sky. It is like a bobbing shadow that moves up and down according to the vehicles movements.
This only happens with the low beams. The high beams are fine.

RCAV8T0R

·
Registered
755 Posts
But you don't see the light itself moving up or down do you? Only elite has HIDs and auto-leveling headlights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is the design of these headlights?:

1. To auto-level when the vehicle is first started according to the load on the suspension and then stay that way

or

2. To auto-level with the road during operation

·
Registered
25 Posts
I checked with the dealership and recieved the typical answer that Honda is unaware of this issue and will not address it unless they recieve "zillions" of complaints.

I realize that my EX-L does not have the HID feature, so what is the shadow am I seeing when going downhill with the dims on?

Any thoughts what this could be?

At first I thought it was the tint line since I am tall but that does not move or fade in and out. Second thought is that the windshield is polarized some way.

None of this is my area of expertise and only guessing here.

Any other ideas?

RCAV8TOR

1 - 20 of 49 Posts