Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I tried to search, but this site's search function stinks. Has anyone had success installing oem HIDs into an Odyssey with stock halogens? I see some kits on eBay with ballasts/igniters etc, but I'm wondering if someone has attempted this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Yes, the current search is a bit of a step backwards from the previous forum setup.

IIRC, we have had at least on Gen 4 owner on this forum who successfully installed Honda OEM HID headlight housings and D2S capsules with OEM parts (ballasts, igniters, harness) onto his Gen 4 Odyssey.

Stock halogen projectors (usually made by Stanley or Koito for Japanese vehicles) do not have sufficient length measured against projector diameter to get a legal light pattern, let a lone a useful one if using eBay plug-and-play re-based HID capsules. This is true of any halogen projector where somebody tries to install an HID capsule.

I actually purchased an entire Nissan OEM HID system for my Nissan Altima to replace the halogen headlights, since every eBay plug-and-play HID conversion kit I've seen has been a half-assed disaster. Just haven't had time to install all of it, and the Philips Xtreme Vision +130 H1 bulbs I'm using are really working well for me right now, so my motivation for "more light" for this car is kind of not at a high level right now. :cool:

OF

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm also facing same problem with HID upgrade installation! don't know actually what's the exact process for doing the same. looking for a good manual but didn't get yet. Appreciate anyone help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to install the headlight setup, but I would expect there to be some splicing of the wiring. It won't act 100% stock though, unless you install the leveling sensors and computer for that, which would be quite difficult (lots of integrating wiring to do that, with sensors on the front right and left rear suspension arms and a separate computer under the dash). The OEM HID headlights re-aim when the van is loaded to avoid blinding other drivers (DOT requirement).

-Charlie

·
Registered
665 Posts
The reflectors in the stock light housing will not work with HID bulbs. In your current housing, the beam would be very poorly focused.You would need to change the light housing to accomplish what you want.

I would recommend the Osram Night Breaker Laser (Next Gen) H11 for for your dipped lighting and the HB3 in same brand and model as above for High Beams. They offer much better lighting and will not blind those driving toward you. These are highly reviewed for the Oddy. The only downfall is that lighting like these have lighter filaments and they will not last as long as regular bulbs. These are pricey, but well worth the extra cost in my opinion. These are hard to find. I get mine through Powerbulbs.

i

i

i

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I'm fortunate that in my own OEM HID upgrade to my everyday vehicle (Nissan Altima) that its OEM HID system uses Osram D2R capsules...these are actually manufactured from the get-go to be used in an OEM properly designed HID reflector housing. Yes, these exist. Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, and a few other manufacturers went this route for a number of years. An OEM HID reflector is actually 100% designed to allow use of a D2R HID capsule. Most OEM's switched to projectors (with the compatible D2S HID capsules) around the mid-2000's, as it is easier to style a vehicle's front end around a headlight with a smaller "frontal area footprint". I think the last manufacturer to use D2R HID capsules in an OEM designed-from-scratch-for-HID reflector housing was Subaru (2016 Impreza).

In short, no leveling apparatus required for D2R, and there are mounting lugs already in place in my Nissan for the ballasts. My Altima's HID housings' high beams sockets had 9005 bulbs, but they support the superb 9011 HIR1 halogen bulbs with no tab modifications required; I think it was designed to use these in the first place. I tested the entire setup in my garage, and the output is amazing in a 100% legal beam pattern. Will never get pulled over for this (and the next time I take apart the front end, I'll be ready to do this job). OEM rocks in this regard.

Just in case anybody is thinking about it, you can't use a re-based D2R capsule from an eBay plug-and-play kit in a reflector housing originally built for halogen use. The lighting result will completely fail for the same reasons eBay plug-and-play re-based D2S kits fail, fail, fail when used in halogen projectors.

So, to help answer the question: if you do remove the Odyssey's halogen headlamps, and install the Honda OEM HID headlamps and hardware, but the installation of the leveling system is just too overwhelming, you may be out of luck for HID.

Luckily, we have people like parmm on our forum to point us in the right direction. There have been a lot of improvements in halogen bulbs made by manufacturers like Osram, Philips and GE (all suppliers for OEM's) in recent years. The Gen 4 Odys with halogen headlights use H11 bulbs. See this link for details on an Osram H11 and GE H11 comparison by evo77 on the HID Planet forums (both are winners). The Osram H11's our own parmm talks of get good reviews on the Subaru and Toyota forums. Similarly, the guys on TacomaWorld also sing high praises of the GE H11's.

I currently use Philips Xtreme Vision H4 halogen bulbs in our two ancient Odysseys (191,000 and 205,000 miles), and I'm a fan. Our cars (Civic, Accord, Corolla) use the amazing Philips HIR bulbs (9012 low beam, 9011 high beam in only the Accord) with their better output and decent lifespan. I'm a fan of the newer performance halogen bulbs in our small family fleet of older vehicles.

OF

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
When I re-read this opus, the discourse on D2R capsules made it sound like I was disagreeing with parmm.

Just to be clear, I 100% agree with parmm's observation that putting anything HID into anything meant originally for halogen gets exactly the negative results he specified. He is on the money with that. Sorry about any confusion.

OF

·
Registered
665 Posts
When I re-read this opus, the discourse on D2R capsules made it sound like I was disagreeing with parmm.

Just to be clear, I 100% agree with parmm's observation that putting anything HID into anything meant originally for halogen gets exactly the negative results he specified. He is on the money with that. Sorry about any confusion.

OF
But that review you linked to might just have changed my recommendation. Need new headlight bulbs for my new to me ody, and might just change to those new GEs! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Yes, sir. Glad to be able to "pay it forward" to the Odyclubbers whenever I find something even remotely helpful out there.

OF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for some LED plug and play options for my 2011 ex-l. Probably get them off amazon. Looking to do the low beam and high beams. Anyone tested any that work good? Also see that some can trigger a DRL on the dashboard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you're willing to open the light up, the 4TL-R (D2S bi-xenon) projector is a direct fit. It will just screw in. Then you just need to do some wiring

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking for some LED plug and play options for my 2011 ex-l. Probably get them off amazon. Looking to do the low beam and high beams. Anyone tested any that work good? Also see that some can trigger a DRL on the dashboard.

Thanks!
The optic lens is incompatible with led lights. You are better off modifying H9 (60 watt) halogen bulbs to fit the h11 (50 watt) projector

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm fortunate that in my own OEM HID upgrade to my everyday vehicle (Nissan Altima) that its OEM HID system uses Osram D2R capsules...these are actually manufactured from the get-go to be used in an OEM properly designed HID reflector housing. Yes, these exist. Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, and a few other manufacturers went this route for a number of years. An OEM HID reflector is actually 100% designed to allow use of a D2R HID capsule. Most OEM's switched to projectors (with the compatible D2S HID capsules) around the mid-2000's, as it is easier to style a vehicle's front end around a headlight with a smaller "frontal area footprint". I think the last manufacturer to use D2R HID capsules in an OEM designed-from-scratch-for-HID reflector housing was Subaru (2016 Impreza).

In short, no leveling apparatus required for D2R, and there are mounting lugs already in place in my Nissan for the ballasts. My Altima's HID housings' high beams sockets had 9005 bulbs, but they support the superb 9011 HIR1 halogen bulbs with no tab modifications required; I think it was designed to use these in the first place. I tested the entire setup in my garage, and the output is amazing in a 100% legal beam pattern. Will never get pulled over for this (and the next time I take apart the front end, I'll be ready to do this job). OEM rocks in this regard.

Just in case anybody is thinking about it, you can't use a re-based D2R capsule from an eBay plug-and-play kit in a reflector housing originally built for halogen use. The lighting result will completely fail for the same reasons eBay plug-and-play re-based D2S kits fail, fail, fail when used in halogen projectors.

So, to help answer the question: if you do remove the Odyssey's halogen headlamps, and install the Honda OEM HID headlamps and hardware, but the installation of the leveling system is just too overwhelming, you may be out of luck for HID.

Luckily, we have people like parmm on our forum to point us in the right direction. There have been a lot of improvements in halogen bulbs made by manufacturers like Osram, Philips and GE (all suppliers for OEM's) in recent years. The Gen 4 Odys with halogen headlights use H11 bulbs. See this link for details on an Osram H11 and GE H11 comparison by evo77 on the HID Planet forums (both are winners). The Osram H11's our own parmm talks of get good reviews on the Subaru and Toyota forums. Similarly, the guys on TacomaWorld also sing high praises of the GE H11's.

I currently use Philips Xtreme Vision H4 halogen bulbs in our two ancient Odysseys (191,000 and 205,000 miles), and I'm a fan. Our cars (Civic, Accord, Corolla) use the amazing Philips HIR bulbs (9012 low beam, 9011 high beam in only the Accord) with their better output and decent lifespan. I'm a fan of the newer performance halogen bulbs in our small family fleet of older vehicles.

OF
The Halogen Infrared bulbs dont get too hot and leave the inside with that burned residue? (Not sure if you know what i mean, but i have seen it with pnp hids before)
Just curious, i will likely never use them. Led projectors are free for me

Attachments

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
The Halogen Infrared bulbs don't get too hot and leave the inside with that burned residue?
Not ever. Optically clear vapor-deposited coatings like that on OEM HIR bulbs tend to be ceramic-based with stellar thermal environment characteristics. Have over 5 years of running experience with these HIR bulbs in our personally owned vehicles. They maintain solid, reliable light output year after year. Easiest drop-in solution I've ever used for any vehicle with 9006 halogen low beam (or 9005 halogen high beam) lights. Big bonus when using these is that there is no annoying cutoff when driving in mountainous terrain on pitch-dark nights.

Also, the IR-reflective coating was a feature of the original Toshiba HIR design. When Philips re-engineered the HIR design, they dispensed with the HIR coating by using a newer, robust filament design and a newer pressurized mix of gases inside the bulb.

Fun fact: no currently manufactured OEM Philips HIR bulb actually usually the selective IR reflective technology, though the name reamains in popular usage.

(Not sure if you know what i mean, but i have seen it with pnp hids before)
eBay (or Amazon) PnP HID capsules are almost universally crap. I've even seen this problem with Morimoto D2S HID capsules; they lose considerable amounts of light output with very few hours of illumination on the capsule. When I performed a Mini-D2S HID projector retrofit on my 2003 EX, after the Morimoto D2S HID capsules degraded, I went with OEM quality HID D2S capsules. I had excellent experience with genuine OEM Philips 85122 D2S capsules.

BTW, you can't compare garbage low-buck PnP HID to genuine OEM HIR, since genuine HIR bulbs (by Toshiba, then Philips, and now Voszla) are a tightly engineered OEM lighting solution. Many of the HIR bulbs (9011 or HIR1; 9012 or HIR2) on eBay are fake. For a long while, r3seller was our popular eBay supplier of genuine Philips OEM HIR2 (9012) bulbs to the many Odyclubbers seeking a better lighting solution for their Gen 3 (2005-2011) Odyssey headlights.

No-name, poor quality eBay (or Amazon) PnP HID kits with their crappy, factory-defect rebased HID capsules are a total non-starter for me. Same for their LED PnP counterparts with their claims of being a "drop-in solution" with "DOT approval".

Fun fact: the DOT has never, ever, ever approved any HID rebased capsule or LED drop-in bulb as a legal solution for headlight lumen and pattern output. Not ever.

I have no idea why people spend so damn much $$$ to purchase a high-quality van, then go with a sh1tty low-buck eBay (or Amazon) HID PnP or LED PnP bulb kit. If it makes sense to spend thousands on a quality tire-wheel setup, then it makes no sense to buy a crappy & cheap PnP lighting solution.

Lighting is easily as important as other major systems on the van (steering, brakes, wheels-tires, drivetrain). It's why I bought an entire OEM HID D2R lighting system for one of my vehicles, not just a single set of PnP bulbs.

OF

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was unaware that the IR coating was no longer used, i have a pair of ichikoh bi-hir2 projectors from a 19 scion. Youve got me convinced i should break out the lux meter and test them tonight

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I was unaware that the IR coating was no longer used, i have a pair of ichikoh bi-hir2 projectors from a 19 scion. Youve got me convinced i should break out the lux meter and test them tonight
???....wouldn't that would be a bi-halogen projector (single-filament bulb in a projector with a moveable shield for dipped beams and high beams). I didn't think any auto manufacturer used that architecture in an OEM headlight housing. Most halogen OEM halogen projectors are strictly low beams with a generic reflector (or possibly high beam patterned halogen projector) mated to a 9005 (or 9011) halogen bulb dedicated to high beam and DRL.

Just to keep this on track...I don't know anybody who has installed re-based HID capsules into any halogen projector and achieved legal (and useful) illumination results. You usually end up with a sh1t-ton of crappy foreground lighting, which kills your distance night vision (your own eyeballs), and during rainfall, the light reflected off the road surface pisses off every oncoming vehicle (including the police). I have two neighbors who are patrol LEO's (local police and highway patrol, one each), and the sheer number of citations they issue for people who do lame headlight mods amazes me.

One can see by the above discussions that rebased HID capsules installed into anything engineered for a resistive filament light source (a.k.a. halogen bulb) is a no-go, period. I will always say the following: if you spent solid dollars on a good van, don't go Charlie-cheap-a55 and buy eBay (or Amazon) plug-and-play garbage. Do the research and go with a complete lighting system. That's right, the whole enchilada. More $$$? Hell yeah, but you'll get quality in terms of light thrown down the road and durability. If you can go OEM like I did on my Nissan, even better.

If you install OEM HID headlight housings, the igniters, and ballasts....you still need the leveling assemblies (one for each side). If you don't install that to a workable standard, you need to re-aim the headlights whenever you heavily load the van, or do like I did with my 2003EX HID projector retrofit: install AirLift 1000's into the rear springs and use air to re-level the loaded van.

There is no way to simultaneously achieve all three of these results in converting halogen to HID:
1.) Very cheap and utterly simple to install
2.) Legal lighting pattern with good lighting thrown down the road where you need it
3.) More light output

With PnP systems, you can only get 2 of these (guess which ones).

OF

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Hello! I tried to search, but this site's search function stinks. Has anyone had success installing oem HIDs into an Odyssey with stock halogens? I see some kits on eBay with ballasts/igniters etc, but I'm wondering if someone has attempted this.

Thanks in advance!
Not worth the hassle tbh. Try retrofit source for HID kits, you're better off with that.
If you want to spend a large chunk of money, you can go with OEM bulbs/ballast, you will need a wiring adapter which TRS has IIRC.
If you're going to go this route, might as well get OEM HID headlight assemblies...if you're going to do that, might as well open them up and put better projectors.
End of the day it depends on you. I would recommend just getting the TRS 35w HID kit.
I have 4TL-Rs in my OEM HID headlight assemblies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
MrRangerZr1
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing