Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want this! I came across this round tube hitch on JCWhitney.com.

Do we have to get a wiring kit from the dealer?

Part #07ZX1751PF $149.95

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need to get the wiring harness separately. I got mine from bageco.com and they also sell the wiring harness, adapter and hitch cover. This is one of my pending projects for the Odyssey. I'm planning on doing this with the ROSS. This way I'm only taking apart the rear bumper once. You only need to do it if you are installing the wire harness. Otherwise you can bolt on the hitch without taking out the bumper.

You can also check the pics brushwood222 posted at the Yahoo Odyssey Owners Club.

[This message has been edited by MarioB (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have a classIII round tube hidden hitch on my ody. it is not as hidden as you would believe by the picture of the hitch on the ford explorer in the advertisment. the hitch is as wide as the the cargo area behind the magic seat and is there for all to see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm planning on adding a hitch soon (mostly to carry bikes). Does anyone have the Honda hitch and know how far out it sticks from under the lower lip of the bumper? Does this JC Whitney hitch stick out less? Anyone with a side view photo?

Real question, if you were parking in a tight garage (as we do), will the trailer hitch make the car longer because it sticks out beyond the bumper? Or is it flush with the lower lip of the plastic bumper cover? Is there any variation during the installation to hide it under the bumper?

------------------
2001 Ody EX Navi, GG
2000 Acura TL Navi, Gold, Comptech sway bars, metallic tints

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

I need to purchase a hitch for our Odyssey. I like the look of the round tube Hidden Hitch, which can be bought for $150 or so. H and A will sell a "parts and hardware" installation package for $60, so the total cost about $210. The Honda hitch is $260 at H and A.

Does anyone have experience installing either hitch? How difficult is the wiring side of things?

Is it worth $60 to get the Honda parts and wiring harness, or can I make do with other parts?

Does anyone have an opinion of quality differences between the Honda and Hidden hitches?

VTEC lover- did you get your hitch installed? What does it look like now?

Thanks for your assistance,

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTEClover:
I'm planning on adding a hitch soon (mostly to carry bikes). Does anyone have the Honda hitch and know how far out it sticks from under the lower lip of the bumper? Does this JC Whitney hitch stick out less? Anyone with a side view photo?

Real question, if you were parking in a tight garage (as we do), will the trailer hitch make the car longer because it sticks out beyond the bumper? Or is it flush with the lower lip of the plastic bumper cover? Is there any variation during the installation to hide it under the bumper?

</font>
I just went out and measured. From the lower lip of bumper to the outside of rubber cap covering of the hitch is 3/4 of an inch. I like the honda hitch, you really aren't going to get a hitch that is completely hidden, yet I never notice the hitch when I'm loading or unloading the back. The cover has the honda "H" logo, it's clean and OEM. I keep the male part of the receiver hitch wrapped in an old towell and stashed quietly out of the way in the spare-tire compartment.

So, you are looking at only 3/4 of an inch in increased length for your garage parking,,, and you won't have to worry about running your shins into it or anything. Outside of the ribber cap in the middle, everything else is clearly under the van.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
Center Console
Crystal Blue Dashhugger

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thx Skybolt for your comments and measurements. Now that I have the Honda hitch installed, you were right about the 3/4" receiver sticking out. I took some photos for everyone to see what the Honda hitch looks like installed. The dealer installed it for me for $148, so I can't tell you about the installation process or difficulty.

To Gbaxley and anyone considering a hitch to carry bikes or tow something, here are several photos from various angles of the Honda Trailer Hitch.

[This message has been edited by VTEClover (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thx Skybolt for your comments and measurements. Now that I have the Honda hitch installed, you were right about the 3/4" receiver sticking out. I took some photos for everyone to see what the Honda hitch looks like installed. The dealer installed it for me for $148, so I can't tell you about the installation process or difficulty.

To Gbaxley and anyone considering a hitch to carry bikes or tow something, here are several photos from various angles of the Honda Trailer Hitch.

[This message has been edited by VTEClover (edited 05-15-2001).]
</font>
You're Welcome. Nice photos, should help anyone thinking about it.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Registered
20 Posts
I called around to the local truck accessory and trailer supply stores and found the Hidden Hitch round tube reciever for $99. The "T connector wiring harness for a 4-pin flat connector(lights only)was $23. The hitch comes with all the necessary hardware. You may be better off buying locally rather then Internet/Mail Order considering shipping charges for such a heavy item.

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoCars:
I called around to the local truck accessory and trailer supply stores and found the Hidden Hitch round tube reciever for $99. The "T connector wiring harness for a 4-pin flat connector(lights only)was $23. The hitch comes with all the necessary hardware. You may be better off buying locally rather then Internet/Mail Order considering shipping charges for such a heavy item.</font>
That's exactly what I did. You can call Hidden Hitch at Tel: 800-632-3290
or go to http://www.hiddenhitch.com/Home/ to find your local dealer. I saved $40-50 in shipping by ordering through a local dealer vs ordering over the internet. My hitch should be in by Tuesday, I'll let everyone know how the installation goes later this week.

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally! I finished my first Ody mod this weekend. Even if I just rank as a junior apprentice Ody guy compared to you all, at least I did something!

I purchased the Hidden Hitch (part # 70737) and installed it on my '01 TW EX yesterday. Installing the hitch itself was not too difficult. We did have to muscle the hitch around a bit with a crowbar to get the predrilled holes to match up with the threaded holes on the Ody frame, and that was made difficult by the size and weight of the hitch (nearly 50 pounds). And getting the bolts in place on the passenger side of the van was tricky since the tailpipe is right in the way. But a variety of socket extensions and flexible couplers did the job. Upon reflection, I think that the second tailpipe hanger should also be removed to allow the tailpipe to be pushed out of the way further. The Hidden Hitch directions specify a 19 mm socket (of which I had several), but I quickly discovered with a hitch hanging above my head that I needed 18 mm sockets (of which I have 2 new ones!). Make sure you have a strong friend to help out while holding the hitch. This part took about 2 hours, including 45 minutes to get to Home Depot for 18 mm sockets.

Putting in the wiring harness was surprisingly easy. The Hidden Hitch website only specifies a wiring harness for '95 to '99 Ody's, nothing for '00 or '01. Buy this one anyway, it works just fine (part #31817). Start by removing the rear trim panel (two screws and some hidden clips that just pop out), then remove the 2 screws and clips that hold in the rear half of the rear left side trim panel (to just past the jack compartment). Just inside the tailgate I found a connector wrapped in blue tape, and the harness connector just snaps in. The directions for the Honda Hitch now call for removing the bumper for placement of the wiring. A post on the Yahoo club from Harrington (thanks so much) suggested routing the harness through the taillight compartment, and that is what I did. Just remove the two screws on the taillight and pull straight back really hard to pop out a clip (thanks for the pics, Chuck, I would have given up without them!). Push the harness connector through into the taillight area, and then drop down a hole to just inside the bumper. Really easy, you can't tell it's not factory, and it's got to beat removing the bumper.

As for the hitch itself, it seems very similar to the Honda Hitch in terms of how far it sticks out from the bumper (less than 1") and how much it reduces clearance. It's not really all that hidden, but I think that the round tube is more pleasing to the eye. It also seems to have a better (or at least more glossy) finish. Total cost will be just about $190, compared to $242 (or $226 plus shipping) via mail order. If you don't mind a bruised knuckle or two, it sure beats the $400 that my Honda dealer wanted for parts plus installation.

Thanks to VTEClover, Skybolt and Brushwood for pics and tips.

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

[This message has been edited by gbaxley (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
gbaxley, Thanks for the installation tips. Good to know that there was a way to wire without taking off the bumper. Can you post some photos of the Hidden Hitch from different angles? It will give others a better idea of Hidden Hitch compares with the Honda Hitch.

I've got more photos of my Honda Hitch with my new Yakima ROC'n Gate swinging bike carrier that we used this weekend. I'll post these on-line later this week. The swing design is heavy, but also very convenient and saved lots of time to get to the back trunk without moving the bikes around.

After our big Memorial weekend getway, I realize that I need to do something about the rear sag when fully loaded. The hitch scraped a few driveways since the clearance was less than 5 inches at the end of the bumper. Normally the rear wheel fender rides about 2 3/4" - 3" above the tire tread. With our gear loaded and the bikes, the fender was 3/4" - 1" below the tread of the tire (when viewing directly from the of the car to the top of the tire. I understand from a previous post that this 3 1/2 - 4" sag can be remedied by using the AirLift1000 kit http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.htm So time to look into another Ody project before we load up fully again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
gbaxley, Thanks for the installation tips. Good to know that there was a way to wire without taking off the bumper. Can you post some photos of the Hidden Hitch from different angles? It will give others a better idea of Hidden Hitch compares with the Honda Hitch.</font>
Here you go. I just figured out Fototime. Wow, that is a timesucker. It took forever to "sync" even with DSL.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/23BF14B715517CA

I'd like to see pics of your RocNGate, and a brief review if you get the time.

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gbaxley:
Here you go. I just figured out Fototime. Wow, that is a timesucker. It took forever to "sync" even with DSL.</font>
Your images are BMPs. Convert them to JPG format and it'll compress them WAY down.

Cute kids!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
Your images are BMPs. Convert them to JPG format and it'll compress them WAY down.

Cute kids!

</font>
1. Duh, thanks. I guess that's why I'm a junior member, eh?

2. Thanks!

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a good use of the trailer hitch - a swing bike carrier. I installed the 2001 Yakima Roc'nGate swing bike carrier. http://www.fototime.com/02193FD296AAED3/standard.jpg
The 2001 model is much easier to use than the 2000 model, so its worth the extra $50 for this year's model. Swing racks allow you to swing the fully loaded bike carrier to the side of the road to open the trunk. Unlike the tilt models, the swing keeps the bikes level when opening the trunk. The bikes sit a bit away from the trunk (about 12"), so the tongue weight is a bit more due to leverage. The swing arms are solid and this also adds weight to the bike carrier. But the design convenience is superior to the tilt design or removing the hitch carrier all together - so you pay in weight and some rear end car sag. [which will lead to my next AirLifts project.] See photos Yakima bike rack

I selected Yakima over Tule rack, since I liked the Yakima swing design better. There are other swing bike carriers which I looked at, but the Yakima brand is well known and available everywhere in case I need parts. Also, due to the stress of swinging with all the weight, I wanted a solid carrier. The Roc'nGate lived up to my expectations on our Memorial 300 mile trip to the mountains. Bike were secure, handled high speed sweeping turns and rough roads. All bikes bounced together with minimal rubbing. (I created foam wrap bar pads out of copper pipe insulation. Use 3/4" pipe insulation for most tubes and 1" for front shock forks). Hope this helps your summer biking plans.

[This message has been edited by VTEClover (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
VTEClover,

Thanks for all of the info and the pics. Without even seeing one in person, I thought that the RocNGate was near the best too. It sounds like a great piece of equipment.

Two more questions: how bad is the rear end sag and how does the Ody handle with all of that weight hanging off the back end?

Thanks again,

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
148 Posts
Installation of hitches is not a big job, especially on vehicles which you can lay on your back (hopefully you have a creeper).

The toughest job is making sure you have the right tools. The bolts which secure a hitch may be attached to a vehicle already. These bolts are usually torqued down. If you do not have any air tools, I recommend a 1/2 inch socket set with a very long handle (this will give you leverage) -- trust me, if you drove around for a while and you are using a puny socket, you will have some scappred up knuckles. We use snap on tools, but this may not be affordable for everyone.

To wire trailer lights, depending if you are using brake control, you will need to tap at least 3 wires. Left signal, right signal and the brake wire. It is quite possible Honda already made provisions for these wires in the vehicle somewhere - we have not looked for it, but you can easily remove the rear lamp covers, find the wire colors and then grab ALL the wires at the main harness going towards the rear of your vehicle.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:
The bolts which secure a hitch may be attached to a vehicle already. These bolts are usually torqued down.

It is quite possible Honda already made provisions for these {trailer} wires in the vehicle somewhere - we have not looked for it.
</font>

At least on my 01 Ody, the bolts were NOT already present. They are supplied with both Honda and Hidden Hitches.

The connector for the wiring harness is inside the left rear trim panel. Relatively easy (anything is easy compared to a Navi upgrade, right Nemogira?) to access. A wiring harness comes with the Honda hitch and can be purchased from Hidden Hitch.

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took another bike trip this past weekend and measured the rear end sag in more detail. All measurements are over the top of the tire tread to wheel fender. So if you are standing right at the right rear tire and look straight at the fender

3" - with Honda hitch only, no cargo
2 5/8" - add Yakima Roc'nGate rack
2" - add 4 full sized bikes
- 3/4" - full trunk with everything you can

Driving with bikes and a FULL load comments:

1) Well, driveways are a problem with the almost 4" sag in the rear. You have to angle off driveways and sometimes it still scrapes the bottom of the hitch. Rear hitch is about 4.5 - 5" off the ground at the end of the bumper. If you backed directly into a curb - it would hit hard right into the frame of the Ody (via the hitch). So this amount of sag is very bad. Hence my next Airlift project.

2)Handling freeways. Good, drives pretty normal. Except for the headlights up a bit higher, you'd almost forget about all the stuff in the back.

2)Handling mountain turns. Surprisingly, not bad. I drove mountains, passed trucks, and was able to use the VTEC and easily pass cars up hill accelerating past 70. The engine really comes alive above 4500rpm. But you do feel some steering lag due to the rear weight ratio. Front steering is a little slow to respond, then the back swings into the turn. So it the car sort of "wags" on switch back turns as you shift from left turn to neutral (wag) then right then (wag). Again, its not bad, just a little different - perhaps a little more practice and I'll get the turns down better.

4) Handling down hill. Not bad. I was concerned about brake fade, but grade logic and using the gears to slow the van down worked well. I didn't push it with such a heavy load. The Ody handled much better than our previous Caravan.

I was amazed at the amount of kids stuff I was able to fit into the van with the magic seat down. Bikes on the back with the swing arm was great to get in and out of the trunk without unloading the bikes. With all that load and 25% mountain driving and some traffic, we still managed 23 mpg. So I'm happy with loading up the gear and kids and driving up hills with the mountain bikes. The Airlifts should fix the sag problem and possibly give back some steering handling too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts