Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about throwing HID's on the Ody, though I have a few questions.

1) If you could do either high beams or low beams, which would you choose?
2) Is the brightness and visibility increase worth the cost?
3) Will the DRL's still work? I have heard from owners of other vehicle that once upgraded they have had DRL problems.
4) Which kit would you recommend from XenonDepot? And why?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
All these are answered in the big XenonDepot's and the other big HID thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking about throwing HID's on the Ody, though I have a few questions.

1) If you could do either high beams or low beams, which would you choose?
2) Is the brightness and visibility increase worth the cost?
3) Will the DRL's still work? I have heard from owners of other vehicle that once upgraded they have had DRL problems.
4) Which kit would you recommend from XenonDepot? And why?

Thanks in advance.
I have HID's on all my lights....low, high beam and fog lights. Visibility definitely increased. I'm running 55 watts HIDs on all my lights and was one of the best upgrades I ever did. As for cost, it's pretty inexpensive. Check out ddmtunning.com. I'm running all ddm HIDs with the slim ballast. I actually have all this type of HIDs on all of my cars except for my BMW which already came with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have HID's on all my lights....low, high beam and fog lights. Visibility definitely increased. I'm running 55 watts HIDs on all my lights and was one of the best upgrades I ever did. As for cost, it's pretty inexpensive. Check out ddmtunning.com. I'm running all ddm HIDs with the slim ballast. I actually have all this type of HIDs on all of my cars except for my BMW which already came with it.
* http://ddmtuning.com/

;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do it right and retrofit projectors. Don't be one of those assholes with blinding blue lights.
:nice:

Also I wouldn't run them in my high beams,hids need time to warm up.
Also if you have DRL you will have problems...

Well its because your drls, run at half power, you will have to run a relay kit, to make them turn on with your drls. But damn that would be annoying to have you driving around with your High beams everywhere.
(Your hids won't magically run like DRLs, either they are on or they are not, or at half power they could flicker which is horrible for the HIDs)

If you really want hids for your highs which I don't know why you would, considering you shouldn't flash them.

You need to take out the DRL fuse, to keep your car running the hids at half power, can't be good for the ballast.

As for ddm...you get what you pay for...:DD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do it right and retrofit projectors. Don't be one of those assholes with blinding blue lights.
For your information, the lights can be adjusted down enough to not blind oncoming traffic and yet provide more than ample lighting. Im running a 55w 5000k DDM kit in my van. I think I adjusted the lamp assembly 2 full turns down. The cut-off the halogen bulbs had is a little washed-out with the HIDs, but the brighter effect provides plenty of lighting. I have passed my wife driving it and it does not blind you. I have been in front of her, and it is not blinding in the mirrors. The beam focus is adjusted down enough as to not be an issue. I have never been flashed driving it at night with them adjusted. Ever. Think what you will, but aimed correctly, these lenses are perfectly fine for HIDs. And if I'm being honest, late model BMWs with factory projector HIDs are 10x more blinding to pass/be in front of. And thats from the factory.

The reason for the switch is because I got sick of buying Silver Star replacement bulbs for $25 a pop. Those things dont last a year. I spend $55 for a set of HIDs that are fully warranted for life.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My silverstars ultra (orange packet) lasted 2+ yrs now. The old silverstars (blue packet) usually die on me at 8-10months. Anyhow, silverstar are great without going HID route. $50-60 replacement is okay for me they're not that expensive.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
For your information, the lights can be adjusted down enough to not blind oncoming traffic.
I hope you're right, but I'm not going to take a chance on the cheap-o PnP. I may go with something from TRS with real HID projectors once I scrape up the cash. A few of my LEO friends in SoCal who've ticketed guys with PnP HID's say these are common replies:

• "I aimed them low, officer. They really blinded you?" (Yes, me and hundreds of others. That's why you got pulled over, friend).
  • "The sales rep said it was a legal fit." (FMVSS108 says otherwise, in all 50 states...PnP HID fitted to any halogen reflector or collector is not legal, period).
  • "It looked fine when I aligned it on my garage wall. Look at that cutoff." (You can't see the blinding stray light from those HID bulbs bouncing off your halogen reflector on a garage wall...and your eyes process light differently from a digicam image showing that great "cutoff" reflecting off the wall).

At least on the west coast (I can't speak for where I live, though they do ticket for PnP HID here, too), when they issue a ticket (it's $$$), it's almost impossible to contest because it's an equipment violation resulting in a moving violation. Do not waste money paying a mechanic to test the beam pattern using one of these:

Why? Again, buddies from my former burgs in L.A. and O.C. and NorCal say that everybody with a PnP setup who has had a "headlamp audit" (really, that's what they call it) using the above device has failed due to blinding, stray light outside the DOT-accepted beam pattern.

In short, they more I research this, the more I find that the universal consensus is that PnP HID fitted to halogen reflectors (or halogen projectors) is illegal, and cannot be made safe.

That TRS Mini D2S kit with HID projectors is looking better and better every day.

OF

·
Registered
17 Posts
Retrofit is the way to go. I ran a PNP kit for a few months thinking light wasn't scattering too badly because there seemed to be an okay cutoff and I wasn't illuminating peoples' interiors. That was until a friend of mine drove my van and followed me with it..... I went and got the retrofit done that weekend.

I'm running Mini H1 projectors and its a night and day difference both in terms of cutoff as well as visibility. Totally worth the $.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i do agree that retrofits look better and function like OEM, but the cost of retrofitting (anywhere from $300-1000) isn't worth it to some people when they can throw a plug n play hid kit for $65-100 installed

i've been running a plug n play hid kit on my car for 3 years, the light cut off isn't sharp like a retrofit or OEM hid set up, but i'm satisfied with it

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
i do agree that retrofits look better and function like OEM....*snip*....i've been running a plug n play hid kit on my car for 3 years, the light cut off isn't sharp like a retrofit or OEM hid set up, but i'm satisfied with it
I don't know if a true HID retrofit looks better on any car. I just know that they work much, much better.

As well, of course you're satisfied with it...you can see better. The bad part is all the other people you're blinding.

Anything above the "cutoff" line will cause blinding glare, and it is wasted light output that is not being directed at the places where it is supposed to go. As related to me by somebody much more knowledgeable, that's why a number of people choose 55w PnP kits over a 35wPnP kit, to make up for wasted output.

The above photo came from the 8th gen Civic forums. Reviewer says "As you can see the cutoff is noticeable and there is a slight amount of glare above this cutoff."

For starters, using a garage door to assess beam pattern is strange. You might use tape on the garage door, and then use that to assess aiming, but you can't assess the resulting beam pattern from changing the light source by using a white garage door. Second, he notes a "slight amount of glare" above the cutoff...it's not slight, and that product he installed doesn't have a cutoff that any pro installer would recognize. It's just a blob of light with two blinding beams above it.

As such, you guys are somewhat safe. Police officer friends of mine are so busy looking for other stuff (drunk drivers, stupid-a55 street racers, idiots who run fog lights without any fog around), that they only pull somebody over if they get blinded from oncoming PnP HID cars or do "the lane change trick" for PnP HID guys approaching from behind.

For me, after hearing how much the ticket can be (it's a double ticket for the equipment violation, and a moving violation for actually using it at night while driving), it's almost 3/4 of the cost of the least expensive HID retro setup I could piece together. I just may go the extra bit and get a complete TRS kit. If so, I'll be sure to post some pics.

OF

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Odyfamily, What is a lane change trick and TRS kit? Thanks.
mindoro, TRS is The Retrofit Source. Here's the website:

TRS LINK

The "lane change trick" works like this, so I understand:
  1. Guy driving car with PnP HID-equipped car is behind patrol officer who notices excessive headlight glare in his rearview mirror.
  2. Patrol officer changes lanes, keeping his own center rearview mirror in his peripheral vision and notices obvious changes in glare intensity depending on his lateral movement from one lane to another...a sure sign of mis-directed light from an illegal PnP HID install, no matter how low the owner has aimed his headlights.
  3. Patrol officer drops to one side and behind, hits the overhead lights, pulls guys over, issues a ticket...and sometimes makes him call for a ride home rather than allow him to continue blinding people.
Again, officers are usually looking for other activity, but if a guy with PnP HID blinds them, they have to consider that same person is blinding everybody else. Kind of a bummer for the guy who spent good money on this stuff. Has to wait until sunrise to go get his car, the tickets are not cheap, and he has to remove the PnP HID and re-install the OEM halogen bulbs. He might be able to get out of the equipment violation, but is stuck with the moving violation unless he goes to traffic school. I'd heard that only the Chinese HID are illegal, but have found that's not true...any PnP HID is noncompliant with FMVSS108 and is thus illegal, no matter which country it ships from.

OF

·
Registered
28 Posts
....Second, he notes a "slight amount of glare" above the cutoff...it's not slight, and that product he installed doesn't have a cutoff that any pro installer would recognize. It's just a blob of light with two blinding beams above it.
Not it's not.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse here, but you do realize that before there were projector beams lenses and perfect cut-offs, there were (and still are) DOT-spec lights that were just that....blobs of light with the glass/plastic lens itself as the means of which the beam pattern displaces the light? Drop-ins with those antiquated light housings are dangerous. Those are the annoying ones you come across while driving. There really is no aiming with those other than to make sure the blobs are roughly 3' up at a distance of 20'.

Not so with the Oddy lens and reflector. These drop ins aren't the pair of blinding laser beams you seem to think they are, aimed down. Yes, of course the cut-off is now fuzzy...but that's why you aim them down. All that light that is above the cut-off is now lighting what would normally have been where the cut-off was, not "two blinding beams". And the aimed down reflectors now provide 10x more illumination within the front 20' of your van. As an example, night driving on wet roads is no longer the issue it once was.

And as I stated before, OEM BMW projector HIDs SUCK compared to what my van's light output looks like head on and from behind. No car has flashed me, I don't light up people's dashboards from behind, and I certainly have never had someone get pissed and tailgate me with their highs on in some sort of immature retaliation to my HIDs. So seriously, stop it with the arguing. These aren't 1992 Honda Civic headlamps we're discussing here.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
..Not so with the Oddy lens and reflector. These drop ins aren't the pair of blinding laser beams you seem to think they are, aimed down. Yes, of course the cut-off is now fuzzy...but that's why you aim them down.....
You don't have to convince me; I've seen enough new cars with a screwed-up beam pattern due to putting the wrong bulb (HID) into an incandescent reflector (halogen) to know that's not true. According to my local LEO, the few people he has felt compelled to ticket all had newer cars with PnP in halogen housings that failed the subsequent optional light audit miserably.

His take is that he wondered why they didn't just yank that PnP gear out after getting ticketed, re-install the 9005 (or 9003) bulb they originally had, and THEN go in for the light audit to try and beat the ticket. Once out of there, they could have re-installed their PnP gear...until the next time they got pulled over. Would've been a LOT cheaper in regard to traffic fines.

OF

·
Registered
28 Posts
Makes me wonder if your LEO friend would have honestly taken any notice if those he ticketed bothered to adjust their beams down after HID installation.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Makes me wonder if your LEO friend would have honestly taken any notice if those he ticketed bothered to adjust their beams down after HID installation.
You know, that IS a good question that I never asked. According to him and others, most LEO's are just plain busy and prefer not to give this type of ticket...when he'd say he felt compelled (his words, not mine) to pull somebody over with illegal lights, it was only because he felt the glare was a danger to everybody else's night vision, not just his own. Law enforcement guys spend a lot of time on the road, and have a good idea what legal headlamps are supposed to look like.

Whether or not he noticed that the guys with PnP HID tried to exercise due consideration by aiming them as low as possible...I don't know the answer to that one. No matter where one aims them, they can't pass a "light audit" (man, that's a weird term...sounds like a tax audit) if they try to somehow get out from under the traffic citation. Either way, it's not fun...you have to take time off from work to go get your vehicle checked during regular business hours, and when the car doesn't pass, you're out a day's work and still have to pay the traffic fines.

One would think that someone has to have a PnP kit out there for sale that actually puts out a legal beam pattern that won't draw anybody's attention or blind oncoming or preceding traffic?

OF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts