Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know an OEM cargo cover exists but I needed a cover that could support my 70 pound dog (apparently the OEM cover only holds ~40 lbs). I could put my dog in the third row seat well area but then nearly all of my trunk area would be used up. Also, I wanted a place to store my plus-one seat since it didn't fit in the lazy susan area. Apparently, the OEM cover (the way it sits over the well) doesn't provide enough height to accommodate the plus-one seat. So I set out to design a custom trunk lid that would address both these issues and here's what I came up with. If I had to do it again, I would do a few things differently to improve the design but overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now the pics....

Now I have a place to put my dog while still retaining the storage area in the trunk.
50_7.jpg

As you can see, I decided to put a couple more items in the trunk: A back-up stroller (I'm forgetful) and my yakima cross bars (in case I decide out of the blue to buy something like a huge area rug...you laugh but it happened)
31_2.jpg

Finger loops attach to the grocery bag hooks on each side.
35_3.jpg

I had to make the front legs collapsible because there wasn't enough clearance to open/shut the lid plus it makes the lid more "low profile" while open. This is especially helpful when I need to put something bulky and tall in the trunk. I could probably hinge the other two legs too to make it even more low profile. Plus if I ever have to remove the trunk lid, It would make for easier storage.
37_4.jpg 39_5.jpg

THe lid hinges from tabs I made that fit over the grocery bag hooks.
30_1.jpg

Here's a close up of the tabs I made that fit over the bag hooks.
43_6.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nicely done. Mine's essentially a work/cargo van (first mod, remove middle row, lol), but if i can ever find that blasted almost 10mm funny rounded hex head socket (oh noes, not the stealership!!), I'll be removing the 3rd row seat too. Then a hinged 1/2" ply lid and it'll be a built-in covered storage well & a flat floor & save 75 lbs or so... duh, winning. Lol.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Score one for the tunk lid! Ran errands yesterday and came up on a furniture store going out of business. Was looking for a mattress/boxspring and found a set. Oh, but how would we get it home? No worries, yakima cross bars were nicely tucked under the trunk lid. Success!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Richard,
Nice job on the cover panel. Solves many problems, but most importantly, gives your dog a space for himself/ herself.
My '02 third row seats fold into the cargo area. Can someone take a picture of the odd fastener you need to remove the third row seats? I have seen many odd fasteners as a former mechanic, I may be able to help you identify it.

RV

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure it was just some rolled up area rug I found on clearance at the hardware store. Probably picked it up for under $10. It was a 5x8 rug, which was plenty and it didn't have any rubber or anti-sliding coating on its underside, which made cutting and wrapping around the lid and legs much easier. I used a staple gun to attach it. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wow, what a great mod. Would make an excellent idea for an aftermark accessory.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is great! I was wanting to do something like this for my TE. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love the idea for the lid but don't think I could keep a dog back there. No way I would want to close the back hatch with the unpredictable movement from an animal, I'd be too worried the dog would get caught and hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts