Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know there are a lot of threads about hitches - tried reading several.

I want to install a hitch that is the least visible as possible on my 12 EX. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on the OEM hitch on a vehicle that is now this old. I know my wife isn't interested in having something that kind of stands out back there. From reading other threads, it appears the Drawtite 76025 is the most hidden, similar to the OEM one. Is that right? Am I missing anything by getting this one instead of OEM? I already have a trans cooler installed - bought that when the van was nearly new. Looks like the OEM hitch will be hard to find under $400 delivered.

Also, is there a cheap option for a wiring harness?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

I want to install a hitch that is the least visible as possible on my 12 EX. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on the OEM hitch on a vehicle that is now this old. I know my wife isn't interested in having something that kind of stands out back there. From reading other threads, it appears the Drawtite 76025 is the most hidden, similar to the OEM one. Is that right? Am I missing anything by getting this one instead of OEM? I already have a trans cooler installed - bought that when the van was nearly new. Looks like the OEM hitch will be hard to find under $400 delivered.

Thanks.
I hear ya... this forum needs to utilize tags to group items and make it more easily searchable.

getting tired of saying the same thing over and over for every new poster.

TAGS ARE THE FUTURE

That said, here is a recent post that started off on transmission judder but is related to towing, heed phattyducks advice on hitch types.

cheers!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
The DrawTite 76025 is the most hidden aftermarket receiver hitch I'm aware of. I've got my eye on it as well.

The OEM hitch has a stronger design because the receiver tube is at the same level as the cross tube. On the DrawTite, the receiver tube hangs just below the cross tube. The OEM hitch is classified as a Class II hitch while the DrawTite is rated a Class III, but the Honda hitch is almost certainly at least as strong as the DrawTite. Honda (probably for liability reasons) won't rate an OEM hitch higher than the towing capacity of the vehicle itself. DrawTite doesn't have to worry about that - they have that degree of separation that allows them to be more open about what their hitch can actually do.

I also think (I'm not sure) that the OEM receiver tucks up to the bumper cover a little bit higher than the DrawTite does, though both have far superior ground clearance to any visible cross tube hitch .

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm going with the 76025 for my 17. Don't buy it from etrailer at their listed price. Other online vendors have it for basically half of what etrailer is selling it for. That's really surprising based on my experience with etrailer.

I've already talked to a rep at etrailer and was told that they will price match and take another 10% off. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I call them to place to the order. If they give me a hard time, there are other options.

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is as far as the harness goes. Amazon has a Curt 56378 (fits my 17) for $41. I'll be asking etrailer ($63) about that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going with the 76025 for my 17. Don't buy it from etrailer at their listed price. Other online vendors have it for basically half of what etrailer is selling it for. That's really surprising based on my experience with etrailer.

I've already talked to a rep at etrailer and was told that they will price match and take another 10% off. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I call them to place to the order. If they give me a hard time, there are other options.

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is as far as the harness goes. Amazon has a Curt 56378 (fits my 17) for $41. I'll be asking etrailer ($63) about that too.
Thanks for the tip! If you don’t mind, please reply on this thread to let me know whether etrailer honors the price match. I’m looking to get one also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Cheaper than what Honda wants at least - I think their harness is over $100.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya... this forum needs to utilize tags to group items and make it more easily searchable.

getting tired of saying the same thing over and over for every new poster.

TAGS ARE THE FUTURE

That said, here is a recent post that started off on transmission judder but is related to towing, heed phattyducks advice on hitch types.

cheers!
Thanks! I'll take a look. Basically I don't want to see the whole hitch in the back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Drawtite you identified is your best bet for hiding. The only part you see is the receiver tube. The OEM sticks out a little on the ends, it has that goofy shape where the crosstube bends downward to clear the frame rails. Other aftermarket ones are completely exposed below the bumper cover. IMO the OEM one is the worst look, even worse than the exposed aftermarket ones. It looks like they didn't even try.

The key difference is the 76025 mounts on the ends of the frame rails, where the others mount to the bottoms. So the installation is a little more involved. (You have to remove the actual bumper, in addition to the bumper cover.)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The Drawtite you identified is your best bet for hiding. The only part you see is the receiver tube. The OEM sticks out a little on the ends, it has that goofy shape where the crosstube bends downward to clear the frame rails. Other aftermarket ones are completely exposed below the bumper cover. IMO the OEM one is the worst look, even worse than the exposed aftermarket ones. It looks like they didn't even try.

The key difference is the 76025 mounts on the ends of the frame rails, where the others mount to the bottoms. So the installation is a little more involved. (You have to remove the actual bumper, in addition to the bumper cover.)
But don't be afraid of that. It's only 4 bolts. When I installed the ATF cooler on my 06, I took the front bumper off to give me more room to work. It was no big deal. I'll be doing the front and rear on my 17.

This install video on the etrailer site seems pretty complete. This is for a 14, I think they have others.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
But don't be afraid of that. It's only 4 bolts. When I installed the ATF cooler on my 06, I took the front bumper off to give me more room to work. It was no big deal. I'll be doing the front and rear on my 17.

This install video on the etrailer site seems pretty complete. This is for a 14, I think they have others.

etrailer does some great vids.
5 speed and 6 speed are slightly different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think it's worth taking the bumper off to not have the crossbar showing. So many of the hitches I see are all rusty on an otherwise clean vehicle, so I'd prefer to have it hidden. I'm not sure I follow you on look of the OEM - I thought it was mostly hidden. Still I'm trying to spend a bit less considering the age of the van at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks.

I have a 2011 and I bought this from E-Trailer three years ago and it's great. Even it's pretty hidden but you can still see it and if you drive up a steep drive, the rear will scrape the ground. This is even more true when you're using it for a bike or basket hitch. It was also SUPER easy to install by myself.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have a 2011 and I bought this from E-Trailer three years ago and it's great. Even it's pretty hidden but you can still see it and if you drive up a steep drive, the rear will scrape the ground. This is even more true when you're using it for a bike or basket hitch. It was also SUPER easy to install by myself.
Are you sure that you installed a 76025?

It was "super easy" to R&R the bumper cover and bumper by yourself? OK, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
It was "super easy" to R&R the bumper cover and bumper by yourself?
As modern bumpers go, it is pretty easy, especially if you don't have the parking sensors.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As modern bumpers go, it is pretty easy, especially if you don't have the parking sensors.

-Charlie
The "flappiness" of the bumper covers is what concerns me when it comes to a one-person R&R. Leaving one side flapping in the breeze while you hook/unhook the other side sounds dangerous. I'm sure it can be done, but "super easy" is not the term I'd use.

The metal bumper itself isn't near as much of a issue.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
FYI...I called CARiD (800.505.3274) and when I told them that eTrailer would price match and give me 10% off, they offered me the same 10% off. $177 with shipping and tax. Granted, they used my veteran status as the reason, but I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the discount anyway. I just made it easy for them. :)

Supposedly will ship from the vendor in 10 days. We'll see.

Reactions: BostonDani

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not to be totally obvious, but there will always be some part of the hitch you can see, i.e. the receiver tube. And it has to be a certain distance from the ground to clear the underside of the bumper cover. Just a fact of life for aftermarket hitches.

Growing up we had a hitch on our Lumina for the bike rack. For whatever reason the end of the receiver tube was about 6 inches back from the face of the bumper. Was nice and hidden, to be sure. You also had to stand on your head to connect anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts