Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a hitch for the Odyssey. Have any of you assembled one yourself? Are they easy to do?

I have a 2001 EX

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Easy as pie. 6 bolts, threaded nuts already exist in place (for the 2" Hidden Hitch anyways).

The major tip: clean the nut thread with a tap/die FIRST. You've got a lot of years of crud built up in there ready to seize the bolt.

e-trailer.com had good prices when I shopped.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Manualman's tap tip is a huge help. I got my HH off Amazon. it was on sale and had free shipping. Woohoo. If you do a search on here you'll see some posts with more detail like what tap to buy. It's worth the $10 or so or you risk breaking a bolt in the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought 2" hitch (Item Number:287801) from JCWhitney $170+$16 tax and shipping, $4 tap from O'Reilly's...jack up car, twist off exhaust from hanger with a long screwdriver, lube the tap and clean out threads with drill and extention, use a 5 gallon bucket to hold up one side while putting bolts on the other side, put bolts on remaining side and torque all bolts, rehang exhaust, touch-up paint on scratches, lower car and admire your 45 minutes of work.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,106 Posts
I put the Honda-brand hitch on very soon after getting my '99 in '99. Did not need to tap the threads, but that sounds like a good plan for an older car.

The Honda kit came with wiring and specific instructions for extending the internal wiring to the hitch. You do things like remove the plastic bumper and use a utility knife to cut along pre-marked lines. Pretty easy since this was a planned Honda dealer-installed option. Not sure how straightforward the wiring stuff is for non-Honda hitches.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I second the e-trailer recommendation. I personnel left the trailer wire in the back of the van, and just close the door on it when I tow, otherwise it sits nice and tucked away in a crown royal bag.

If you don't have a crown royal bag, it gives you and excuse to buy some crown!

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Sickwilly said:
....I personnel left the trailer wire in the back of the van, and just close the door on it when I tow, otherwise it sits nice and tucked away in a crown royal bag.

If you don't have a crown royal bag, it gives you and excuse to buy some crown!
Excellent idea (both the wiring location, and the choice of imbibement). :cool:

OF

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I paid to get a U-Haul hitch and aftermarket wiring harness put on my 2001. After the wiring harness had a bad ground, which would make my turn signal start blinking intermittently, I yanked it out and bought the wiring harness from Honda. It actually comes with all the other hardware for the hitch too. The install was very straight forward; although it did help that the dealer printed out the installation instructions for me. In the end it was a much cleaner install and actually not that much more than the aftermarket.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I found a used hitch on Craigslist from an 02 Ody. It bolted right up and I used the helpful tips from earlier posts.

I intend only to use the hitch to carry a trailer "basket" (5'x2') for camping and for the bike carrier. No need to add the transmission cooler, right?

Anyway, if I wanted to add brake/turn signal lights to this, does Honda sell just the wire harness kit (minus the actual hitch?)?

Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Russ said:
I found a used hitch on Craigslist from an 02 Ody. It bolted right up and I used the helpful tips from earlier posts.

I intend only to use the hitch to carry a trailer "basket" (5'x2') for camping and for the bike carrier. No need to add the transmission cooler, right?

Anyway, if I wanted to add brake/turn signal lights to this, does Honda sell just the wire harness kit (minus the actual hitch?)?

Thanks
Russ
The Honda part for the wiring harness also includes the mounting hardware, but not the hitch. You can find it here for $47.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...atcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=ACCESSORIES+-+EXTERIOR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.