Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been asked/answered already, i did do a search...

looking to mount a class III hitch and want the most tight/snug fit. A Honda dealer said the OEM hitch was the best fit & that they even had to cut out a small portion of the rear bumper plastic (that would be fine w/me). I have a ground clearance issue w/my driveway.

thanks!

Great site!!

Kirk

·
Registered
407 Posts
sorry if this has been asked/answered already, i did do a search...

looking to mount a class III hitch and want the most tight/snug fit. A Honda dealer said the OEM hitch was the best fit & that they even had to cut out a small portion of the rear bumper plastic (that would be fine w/me). I have a ground clearance issue w/my driveway.

thanks!

Great site!!

Kirk
Is there a question here? Yes, the oem hitch is the best and most low profile (and the priciest) of all the aftermarket hitches out there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im looking into this now.

Check this out

Do you live in So Cal? Im picking one up for $245 on the 17th.

You can get one at HondaautomotiveParts.com for $250 with hardware, but will need to ad $30 shipping and handling charges. Ive been ordering from HAP for 8 years now with no problems...great prices. Say hello to River as he answers the phone to confirm they have the part before ordering. I cant find a tow hitch better that this one.

Whats the difference between Class 2 and Class 3?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is there a question here? Yes, the oem hitch is the best and most low profile (and the priciest) of all the aftermarket hitches out there.
Agreed. The OEM hitch will give you the most ground clearance in the rear. It is the most expensive, and you have to take the rear bumper off to install it. I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket hitches, they are too close to the ground in my opinion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
that's a great video!!!

thanks for sharing that.

joel

Im looking into this now.

Check this out
YouTube - Episode #183 - Honda Odyssey Trailer Hitch Installation

Do you live in So Cal? Im picking one up for $245 on the 17th.

You can get one at HondaautomotiveParts.com for $250 with hardware, but will need to ad $30 shipping and handling charges. Ive been ordering from HAP for 8 years now with no problems...great prices. Say hello to River as he answers the phone to confirm they have the part before ordering. I cant find a tow hitch better that this one.

Whats the difference between Class 2 and Class 3?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you Shawkins. Looks like I'm good with class 2.

I've decided to order an OEM hitch from hondaautomotiveparts.com. The hitch is 214.57 + shipping = $236.81 total. It is expensive, but ground clearance is critical for me as well. I've been looking for an aftermarket that hides it under the bumper, but I am striking out. I would rather pay now than later. Oh, the harware comes with the hitch. No need to order the $14 hardware.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad to help arielb1! The only other issue you MAY have depends on what you are towing. If what you are towing has a 4-pin flat connector, you can use the Honda wiring harness. BUT, if you are like me and towing a pop-up camper that has brakes and 12-Volt accessory plug, then you'll want to go aftermarket for a 7-pin barrel connector.

But as for the hitch alone, you are fine. The Honda hitch isn't very noticeable underneath. The bumper removal isn't too bad either.

Scott

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad to help arielb1! The only other issue you MAY have depends on what you are towing. If what you are towing has a 4-pin flat connector, you can use the Honda wiring harness. BUT, if you are like me and towing a pop-up camper that has brakes and 12-Volt accessory plug, then you'll want to go aftermarket for a 7-pin barrel connector.

But as for the hitch alone, you are fine. The Honda hitch isn't very noticeable underneath. The bumper removal isn't too bad either.

Scott
Hey, Scott.

I hope not to hijack this thread, but hope the OP will ask this as well.

I have a popup trailer as well. What did you do and where did you get your 7 pin barrel harness? Was it hard to install? Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Arielb1 -

I got everything wiring-related from e-trailer.com. You get a normal 4-pin wiring harness and then integrate this at the back of the van:

Adapter 4 Pole to 6 Pole and 4 Pole Trailer Wiring Adapter Hopkins Wiring 37175

The only difference between the 4-pin and 7-pin is that the 7-pin adds 12V accessory so I can keep my camper fridge going while driving down the road. It also adds trailer reverse lights (I don't have, so I didn't wire that), and trailer brakes.

I liked e-trailer because they gave a 110% price match guarantee. Simply provide them links to the products and they issue a credit promptly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm just beginning the Pop Up Trailer experience...

Have not purchased the camper yet. Trying to get the 06 Ody in tow-mode prior to making the purchase. Looking at a smaller camper; 8' - 10' box that is lightweight (<2000 lbs).

So far, I've:
Installed a class III after-market hitch (purchaced from suspension connection $116.00) along with a 4-pin wiring harness. Both easy to install. I will need to get the 4 to 7-pin adaptor. Hitch rides really low in the rear!

Question:
For you guys towing the pop up, have you installed a tranny cooler? I see they're available on etrailer for around $30 - $60. How "easy" are these to install for a mechaniclly-inclined, do-it-your-selfer?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Today I just received a quoted price of $399 (cdn) just to buy the Honda OEM hitch from my local Honda Stealer! (cough!)
They also wanted $190 for installation.
I saw them offered for a lot less in the US but gotta have it shipped unless someone happens to be driving up from SoCal to Edmonton? Anyone?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bought Curt Class 2 receiver hitch from E-trailer.com for only $ 157.98. Took me 20 minutes to install without having to jack up the back. Just put down a blanket and cleaned out the mounting holes with a battery post cleaner and WD-40. Hung one side over the exhaust and started the bolt up with no problems. Hooked up the wiring harness after watching the E-Trailer video and it too me 20 minutes to get it done. Now to find a an after market tranny cooler and the time to install.

Trailer Hitch by Curt for 2006 Odyssey - 12261

T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector - Honda Odyssey Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118438

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought Curt Class 2 receiver hitch from E-trailer.com for only $ 157.98. Took me 20 minutes to install without having to jack up the back. Just put down a blanket and cleaned out the mounting holes with a battery post cleaner and WD-40. Hung one side over the exhaust and started the bolt up with no problems. Hooked up the wiring harness after watching the E-Trailer video and it too me 20 minutes to get it done. Now to find a an after market tranny cooler and the time to install.

Trailer Hitch by Curt for 2006 Odyssey - 12261

T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector - Honda Odyssey Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118438
I sent off an email to etrailer to see what shipping costs are to us Canadian folk. If it's reasonable (free would be pretty reasonable) then I guess I'd better consider this as a better option to the OEM.

Thanks for the heads-up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts