Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give your opinion on the following:
When it comes time to sell my Ody, would it be better to remove the trailer hitch or leave it on?
There are 2 ways to look at this. One prospective buyer might be concerned that the vehicle did some heavy towing. (Some Odys tow big campers/boats other just have bike racks.) Should I remove the hitch and sell it separately?
Another prospective buyer may realize that the tow package is is valuable option and be willing to pay a higher price than without a hitch.
If YOU were looking at used Odysseys, what does a hitch say to YOU?

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I thought about this just the other day. A hitch says to me, "This idiot slapped a hitch on and towed something way over the limits and did so improperly. The transmission is full of sawdust and he's dumping this pig on the first unsuspecting buyer that comes along."

Any evidence of a hitch on an Ody, in my mind, drives the resale value down.

Seriously. A hitch on a vehicle that really wasn't designed for towing is a liability. There are WAY too many ways for the owner to mis-use the towing capacity that is there, and the most frequent mis-use would be overload.

What I was thinking of the other day was this: I'd like to haul bicycles using hitch-mounted carriers, but I really don't want a hitch there (for the reasons I've outlined above). So wouldn't it be great if we could have a hitch that very specifically WASN'T a standard hitch, but was very obviously part of a specific bicycle carrying system?

That way you could easily tell prospective buyers about that device, and they'd see and know that you couldn't have hauled anything other than that bike carrier--and much of the concern would go away.

I'm hesitant to put a standard hitch on just for mounting a bike carrier, for fear that I wouldn't be believed at resale time.

Face it. In the absence of proof, when buying a car like this with a hitch on it, the buyer has to assume the worst. Imagine you're the used car manager for the dealership. What will you assume?

On the other hand, trucks that are designed for towing--especially those that come from the factory with the hitches installed--don't take that kind of a hit, and rightfully so.

If you want to tow, either tow within the limits of the Ody and accept that you'll take a hit at resale time, or buy a vehicle that's truly made for towing and use that. Do they make cheap Suburbans anymore, or are they all gussied up and pricey nowadays?

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by back2earth:
Please give your opinion on the following:
When it comes time to sell my Ody, would it be better to remove the trailer hitch or leave it on?
There are 2 ways to look at this. One prospective buyer might be concerned that the vehicle did some heavy towing. (Some Odys tow big campers/boats other just have bike racks.) Should I remove the hitch and sell it separately?
Another prospective buyer may realize that the tow package is is valuable option and be willing to pay a higher price than without a hitch.
If YOU were looking at used Odysseys, what does a hitch say to YOU?

</font>
As a salesperson, I will tell you the general rules regarding tow hitches. If on a minivan or car show it with the bike rack in it so they know why it is there. On trucks or SUVs they don't add or subtract from value. But!! Right now with the current frenzy for Odyssey, heck sell it as is, mark it up for the option and stick to your guns on it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting question regarding resale. I was thinking the same thing then reality set in...I bought this van to enjoy and keep for at least 5 years (well until an AWD Ody finally comes out!). I am ordering the tow package/installing for the tranny and power steering coolers. We plan to use our 2002 for extensive roadtrips (3000-10000 miles) with the doggies/gear etc. I think that $400 is little to pay for extra transmission life/protection.
Every vehicle I have bought used, I purchased based as much on my perception of the owner along with condition of the vehicle. Their mechanical knowledge/condition of vehicle/even their cleanliness in the home garage all are subtle clues sometimes as to their responsiblity to not overburden their vehicle. Ironically I would love to purchase a vehicle from a OdyClub forum member because they (generally..ha!)portray a passion to both know their Ody but also maintain it.
Enjoy your vehicle for whatever you want to do with it...you can always cater later to the consumer you are selling it to. Our dogs will no doubt cover the carpet with non-removable fine shedding dog hair. Hey, I will replace the factory carpet for the sake of $200 and an afternoon's work than leave them behind on a trip. Would you NOT paint the walls/personalize your home for fear of resale in the future?
I do agree with the dealer who wrote regarding value....whatever you do to your Ody currently short of totally it would hardly affect any resale! Most dealers would probably make a class 5 Hitch grafted onto an Odyssey a $5000 addendum, at least out here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts