Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

I have convinced my wife to let me turbocharge the ODY
HKS is coming out with an Accord V6 turbo soon, and when it does, I'm picking it up and doing a custom install. I figure about 315 HP

Also, I spoke with THERMAL R&D, the FINEST exhaust manufacturer in the world! (IMHO) and they are working on truck/SUV exhausts sometime by year end. I mentioned the ODY to them and they are "definetly considering it". I'll keep everyone posted.

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo ZC
2000 Odyssey LX, working on tons of mods

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hell yeah ! That's sweet man ! Must definitely update us on the turbo and exhaust ! I have been waiting for a long long time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TrickedOdyssey:
hey all,

I have convinced my wife to let me turbocharge the ODY
HKS is coming out with an Accord V6 turbo soon, and when it does, I'm picking it up and doing a custom install. I figure about 315 HP

</font>
Hi TrickedOdyssey,

Sounds interesting. One thing I'm curious about, I'm assuming they have a modified computer control program for the fuel injection on the Accord. This would seem to be a prerequisite since you're now pumping a lot more air into the engine than Honda originally designed it for. Do you think this would also work on the Odyssey? The engine may be similar between both vehicles but, from what I understand, it doesn't take much of a difference to cause a significant shift in fuel mixture. I don't know for sure though, I'm just asking. I will be interesed in hearing how it goes though.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Be Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Steve, I have thought about this. the one thing I will try first, if the unit does not work with the Ody ECU is the trick I did on the Civic.

The Civic is a 91, and the turbo kit is for the 92-95 as GREDDY does not make a T kit for my year. therefore the control, blue box, does not work on my ECU. what you do is trick the MAP sensor into thinking you are running stock air pressure by adding check valves inline with the map sensor vacuum line. i'm sure the trick should work with the ODY as well, and as long as you keep the psi low, the fuel will auto increase to compensate.

I'm not too concerned with it at this point however.

Vince

------------------
Owner:

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TrickedOdyssey:
The Civic is a 91, and the turbo kit is for the 92-95 as GREDDY does not make a T kit for my year. therefore the control, blue box, does not work on my ECU. what you do is trick the MAP sensor into thinking you are running stock air pressure by adding check valves inline with the map sensor vacuum line. i'm sure the trick should work with the ODY as well, and as long as you keep the psi low, the fuel will auto increase to compensate.

I'm not too concerned with it at this point however.

Vince

</font>
Hi Vince,

That's interesting. Do you know why the system will increase the fuel flow even though the MAP sensor has been fooled? The only thing I can think of is that forcing more air into the engine than the MAP sensors can "see" would create a lean mixture which other sensors would pick up down the line. The oxygen sensor comes to mind (?)and the computer would compensate after the fact. Of course, I'm just guessing here. I know enough about this stuff to be "extremely" dangerous.

While this is not something I would consider for my Ody, you have peaked my curiosity about the process. I'm looking forward to reading how it all works out.

Good luck & Be Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the ECU will automatically adjust through the O2 sensor to a point. as long as the boost stays low, your ok. I am assuming the HKS kit may be a FULL BLOWN kit, with fuel pump and all, therefore the need for more fuel will be taken care of.

however I believe in larger injectors as opposed to a higher flow pump. It's something a very wise Honda guru told me once, and I've always followed it. a simple fuel pressure riser will do the trick to, to some extent.

a nice air/fuel guage will come in handy and tell me what I need to know.

------------------
Owner:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts