Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I bought a certified 2006 Ody EX-L. Before we bought it, they agreed to do a full interior detail, and fix the scratches on the van. (Some of them were all the way down to the metal..) The weatherstripping on the sliding doors was semi shredded, and we were told it would cost $300 to fix, and they'd add that on to the price. I figured at that price, I could do it myself. Turns out the part is $16 :mad:

I'm starting to notice more things that shouldn't have passed their 150 pt inspection.. The door sills for the sliding doors have really deep scratches.. The look very worn. Hmm. The light bulb for the cargo area light is burnt out. The headliner has weird dirty spots on it. The carpets are FILTHY. I received one key, and two remotes. (They agreed to give me another master key, but then I'm still missing a valet key..) One of the rear window shades is missing completely. I honestly don't think this ody was ever reconditioned, just vacuumed and armor-alled..

They also sold me an extended warranty for $1k. That seems kind of steep for only 45k miles..:huh:

So am I expecting too much of a certified vehicle? Did I get completely hosed? I'm dropping it off tomorrow to have the interior detail done, and the scratches fixed. I'm considering speaking with the management, but is it too late since we already purchased the car?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm starting to notice more things that shouldn't have passed their 150 pt inspection.. ?

They can't name 150 parts on a vehicle let alone inspect them.....These certified used cars are a crock of bull ****.....Just another way for dealers to screw you out of more money by giving you a sense of false security. They do no more than they do to any other vehicle that come in...No matter what they say.........Don't be fooled.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe the prior owners were rough on the interior and took care of it maintenance-wise. Anyway, it is never too late to stay on management to do what they said they would and to make you happy. Once they clean it and fix the paint, maybe you will be satisfied. I'd wonder why it has such low mileage for a five to six year old van. Maybe you can take it elsewhere and pay a real mechanic to inspect it for you. Even if they find nothing wrong, your peace of mind will be worth the money you spent. As for the warranty, you might still be able to cancel it, but maybe it will be worth it depending on how many miles it covers. Is it a real Hondacare warranty? One thought is to price a real warranty online maybe at Hyannis and if the price is better, cancel the one you have and buy that one. Also, did you get any records of maintenance? It will probably turn out okay once they fix it up for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before I bought my "Certified" Honda from a Honda dealership, I called up Honda Corporate to make sure I was getting everything I was supposed to. Honda Corporate stated that you are suppose to get everything that came with the car when new. Which means all the keys, carpet floor mats, etc.. If the car is missing anything, you should tell them that they are suppose to provide them. If not, you should call up Honda Corporate.

The weatherstripping is something that they should be replacing for you under warranty. If they are not willing to replace it for you, then I would complain to Honda Corporate as well. Also, make sure you are given documentation that states the van was sold to you as Honda Certified.

The only good thing about it being a Honda Certified Used, is that you get the 100k/7yrs warranty on the powertrain and 12 months basic warranty. I chose to purchase Hondacare, as these vans have too many expensive electronics to worry about.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe the prior owners were rough on the interior and took care of it maintenance-wise.
:huh: Rough on the interior but yet great on maintenance? That's funny.. If it looks like ****, changes are that it it wasn't taken care of.

Its too late now, since you've already purchased it. They should of cleaned the van prior to you seeing it and at least these doubts would not be a factor.

Hopefully they do the right thing for you.. Good luck and enjoy the van

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but shouldn't YOU have noticed all the wear and tear on the van and looked for one in better condition to buy??? There isn't much you can do after you sign and pay.

Honda Certified doesn't mean jack as far as cosmetic condition goes. Their 100+ point inspection (assuming they even did it) only refers to mechanical components in the vehicle, not stained headliners or worn-out carpets or paint scratches. As someone else said, all "certified" gets you is a little more warranty and the ability to buy Honda Care for a longer term. Again, this warranty is all for the mechanical and electrical components, not for cosmetic stuff.

The most important factor in looking for a used car should be YOUR OWN inspection regardless of what kind of certified label the car has or doesn't have. I have looked at private party non-certified cars that are in a million times better condition than certified cars and I have seen certified cars that look like they've been beaten to death. A private party can easily tell you the history of their car, whereas the dealer has no clue what the previous owner did or didn't do. For this reason alone, I have always bought 1-owner private party. You save by not having to pay markup for the "certified' label and with that money, you can fix any minor issues yourself. Dealing with dealers is always a pain in the butt and on used cars, they make a killing because the value of the car is so subjective. For me, dealers=new cars only... used cars from private parties with careful inspection by YOU.

In your case though.... I would keep on the dealer to fix as much as they are willing to. I would stress what you expected from Certified and hope they will fix it all up for you. That's all that you can do...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the scratches in the door sill before I bought it, yes. It didn't bother me much at the time. It is honda care, and to clarify, the ody has 60k on it, not 45k. The honda care is for 45k or something... I'm going to go drop it off today, and talk to the management.

It did come with excellent maintenance records. And for the record, the interior doesn't look horrible, its just not what I would expect from a Honda certified vehicle at all.

Moral of the story? Don't buy a car when you're sick.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a 2010 certified that had at least a scratch on every panel, bumper, roof and pointed out every last thing while pointing out that it's a certified van that's been hit and then told him the bottom dollar price and then I got it with the 100K mile warranty for $8/month less than if I had not got the warranty.

Stuff that certification down their throats and demand satisfaction hard core BUT buy it anyway because after 10K miles you too will have hit every panel, bumper, hood because the thing is a MONSTER to drive and because you already had the ding it won't feel as bad adding to it.

But it still drives like it's brand new and that's worth the $3K you have saved pointing out these things.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey! I know you;).

I'm sorry you aren't happy with your van. I'm hoping that you are getting some of those issues resolved. It sounds like they didn't keep their part of the bargain. It seems logical that you should get all the keys and the sunshade. I'd bug them about those for sure. It looks like you are supposed to get a "150-point mechanical and appearance inspection and reconditioning." I would ask for a copy of it. I know when you purchase cars new they have a vehicle prep checklist and usually it is in the glove box and you can see if they checked everything. I would then compare their list to what you are seeing and see if everything was done.

It doesn't sound as though a full interior detail was done so it seems like they should complete that for sure.

If you are really thinking that they didn't complete the whole inspection/recondition process, then I'd consider taking it to be inspected as soon as possible. I'd get the brakes checked for how much are left and the tires and see if it can be determined if the car has been serviced.

As far as the door sills go.. I can see kids ruining those by getting in and out of the car with dirty shoes. I wipe mine clean all the time and use a magic eraser to remove the black marks since they bug me.

I would make a huge list of all the things that you want fixed and see if they will fix them if they are not warranty items or cover them under warranty.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
:huh: Rough on the interior but yet great on maintenance? That's funny.. If it looks like ****, changes are that it it wasn't taken care of.

Its too late now, since you've already purchased it. They should of cleaned the van prior to you seeing it and at least these doubts would not be a factor.

Hopefully they do the right thing for you.. Good luck and enjoy the van
LOL - My vehicles are typically on the dirty side, I go for years between waxes, the carpeting ends up stained from various things (I put weathertech in van trying to preclude that one) etc. But I do a hell of a lot of maintenance on my cars. In fact the driver's window sill has some grease/dirt embeded in the grain I need to clean from my arm being dirty. So there are vehicles out there that may look like have not been cared for that are mechanically great.

I also see people who put big rims and tires on cars, boomin' stereos and keep the paint shined to the max, but mechanically do little or nothing, so you never know.

Back on subject:
I've never seen a dealer sell such a screwed up vehicle as "certified". Who the heck is in charge of the Used department? Those vehicles with issues (sorry but yours fits the description) and missing parts usually go to auction or another dealer. Certified usually means they are exceptionally clean, lower mileage and a reasonable alternative to a new car - granted they typically just clean and shine, but it shouldn't require much work.

As suggested, get Honda on board on your complaint Pronto and raise heck at the dealership about your "certified" having such issues like the window screen missing etc. Make a list and make sure they address everything, you won't get a second go at it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A year ago, I was shopping for a van.
I picked out a 30K miles, CPO 2009 Sienna XLE (Nav & DVD) from dealer's website. It looked very good on the computer and the price was not too high.
I still remember it quite clearly.
In person: The carpet was dirty, headliner was dirty, tires were well worn, plastic trims were missing in the 3rd row seat, front bumper had a long scratch.
All above were cosmetic issues that could be fixed.
I took the test drive and the Sienna drove great.
But I was leery b/c if it was not well kept, then it may not be well maintained.
So I passed on the Sienna, even after the salesman said he would be flexible on the price.

Next, I went to the nearby Honda dealer and saw the Ody. Everything about the Ody matched with my expectation of what a certified pre-owned vehicle. Clean inside and outside. No missing plastic trim. Minor paint scratches on all door panels, rear bumper, hood (rock debris). All keys, remote control, manual, etc were accounted for.
Dealer touched up on some of the more visible paint scratches (after sale)
So I bought the Ody and so far so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts