Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick, go get your 2002 owners manuals. Look carefully at page 221, the security system section.

I quote:

"With the system set, you can still open the tailgate with the master key or the remote transmitter without triggering the alarm. The alarm will sound if the tailgate lock is forced, or the tailgate is opened with the tailgate release handle."

Can someone check my translation of this?

As far as I know, there is currently NO WAY to open the tailgate without using the tailgate release handle, period. But this paragraph says that this can set off the alarm, if the alarm is set. Huh?

But Honda is saying that you CAN open the tailgate (???!???!!!!??) *without* triggering the alarm if you use either of the master key or the remote transmitter.

Huh?

For one, the remote transmitter doesn't today operate the tailgate in any way, shape, or form. Does this paragraph hint that a power tailgate is in the Odyssey's near future? Or did they just write this paragraph REALLY REALLY badly?

Secondly, using the master key on the tailgate operates EVERY lock, for both locking and unlocking. So if I "use the master key to open the tailgate", by definition the security system is turned off.

I can't fathom what they meant by "using the master key to operate the tailgate"--unless a future power tailgate will operate this way.

<sigh> If you run this through KISS, you don't get such exotic ideas. They probably just worded the whole thing extremely badly. Sure, if you use the remote transmitter (to unlock the van) or the master key (to unlock the van), the security system won't sound--not because you're working the tailgate but because you've unlocked the van, which turns the security system off.

I'll take this opportunity to point out another flaw in the user manual. Also on page 221:

"For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, or remote transmitter."

Wrong. If you hit the power lock button on the driver's inside door and then close it, the security system activates as per the red flashing light on the tach.

Also, if you lock the van using the master key in the tailgate lock, the security system activates.

Methinks the writers either weren't sure how to work what they had, or had very pre-release information and equipment to work with when they wrote this page.

Me, I believe in KISS. They wrote this whole page very badly. But for you conspiracy theorists out there, start holding your breath for a power tailgate in the next few months. It seems they've already written some documentation for it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
adam1991 - Take off your tinfoil cap!!!! Me thinks you are reading too much into this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Quick, go get your 2002 owners manuals. Look carefully at page 221, the security system section.

I quote:

"With the system set, you can still open the tailgate with the master key or the remote transmitter without triggering the alarm. The alarm will sound if the tailgate lock is forced, or the tailgate is opened with the tailgate release handle."
</font>
I think they mean you can unlock the tailgate with either the key or the remote transmitter and the tailgate release handle they refer to is the inside one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><sigh> If you run this through KISS, you don't get such exotic ideas. They probably just worded the whole thing extremely badly. Sure, if you use the remote transmitter (to unlock the van) or the master key (to unlock the van), the security system won't sound--not because you're working the tailgate but because you've unlocked the van, which turns the security system off.</font>
Exactly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll take this opportunity to point out another flaw in the user manual. Also on page 221:

"For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, or remote transmitter."
</font>
Hondas used to be like that - you could not lock the driver's door without a key or a remote (or the secret way of holding the inside lever and pushing the lock down!!). My 98 Accord manual said that as well. But alas, you can push the button down with the door open.

A power tailgate would take quite a bit of engineering and modification. Further, Honda isn't known for changing things mid model year. I think you will eventually see a power tailgate - maybe on a Acura version or on the 2004 revamp.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 09-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A power tailgate would take quite a bit of engineering and modification. Further, Honda isn't known for changing things mid model year. I think you will eventually see a power tailgate - maybe on a Acura version or on the 2004 revamp.</font>
I honestly don't think we'll see an Acura version--because there's no market niche for something called a "luxury minivan" in the same way that there is a market niche for something called a "luxury SUV".

That's why we got leather and RES on the Honda-badged car, instead of Honda selling that model through the Acura dealer.

[This message has been edited by adam1991 (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:

I quote:

Can someone check my translation of this?
</font>
I think they really meant "unlock" instead of "open" in the first sentence.

But even then, I don't see how you can "unlock" the tailgate with the remote transmitter without disabling the security system.

------------------
-- Todd

'02 GG Odyssey EX-L

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ahh, this subject is right up my alley. You see, as a copywriter who has worked on manuals for machines unrelated to any Honda--or automobile for that matter--I can say two things probably contributed to the erroneous description...
1) The document the writer was working from was created by an engineer or product and was revised up until the day the manual went to press; and
2) The writer most likely has only marginal experience with the Odyssey, so he/she wouldn't know if what they were writing would be confusing to the end-user.
Of course, I could be totally wrong and it was just poorly written. I know I've been guilty of that... more than once.

------------------
OkieOdy

96 Accord
02 Odyssoon
---------------------

·
Registered
585 Posts
Adam1991 wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I honestly don't think we'll see an Acura version--because there's no market niche for something called a "luxury minivan" in the same way that there is a market niche for something called a "luxury SUV".</font>

Have you checked a Dodge/Chrysler dealer lately? Methinks they sell a $38k van called the "Town & Country" and make a quite a killing off it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
nyvram, I agree.

I, for one, would jump on the opportunity to buy an Acura or Lexus minivan! I'd bet there are quite a few others here that would, too.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Have you checked a Dodge/Chrysler dealer lately? Methinks they sell a $38k van called the "Town & Country" and make a quite a killing off it. </font>
I was talking in the context of the Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infinity type of relationships.

If Chrysler had an upscale division that sold LS430 or 3.5RL level cars, separate from the Chrysler division, would the Chrysler Limited go to those folks?

I honestly don't think so. The buyers have created in their minds a specific thing they call a "luxury SUV". That's why we have Cadillac and Lincoln pickups now. But what the buyer hasn't created is a specific thing called a "luxury minivan".

Toyota gets Land Cruiser, Lexus gets Land Cruiser Plus--the luxury model. Acura gets MDX, Honda will get MDX Minus next year (without the luxury touches). Honda builds the wonderful Accord, but they leave it to the Acura division to give it the luxury touches. And so on.

"Luxury minivan" isn't something that deserves its own marketing team. Hence, that's why we're not talking Acuras here. But still, Honda can't bring themselves to put memory seats and brand-name stereo systems into a Honda-badged car. I'd buy the Ody for a few grand more if it had the luxury touches, and you folks would to, but most people wouldn't. They wouldn't feel comfortable doing so because their friends aren't doing it.

However, their friends are buying overpriced, leather-clad pickup trucks with memory seats and killer stereos and climate controls, so they go off and do that without hesitation. Never mind that these pickup trucks are trucks. But I digress....

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Adam, methinks thou ist not gettin' any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts