Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2003 EX-L on 10/11 and noticed that under the third row seat there is a tab cut into the carpet ito allow access to a threaded hole. You can see it if you are standing with the hatch open. It is in the middle, close to the back edge(cargo well). It is obvious that it is done for a purpose, as the carpet is cut clean and there is a sticky tab on the back edge of the carpet to hold it down. My salesman had never seen it before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have one on mine. I was not happy about it and thought that for some reason the dealer did it when they installed the cargo cover. (Don't ask) I've looked under it and cannot fathom a reason why it is there. Maybe to check the fuel pump? No idea. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was told from my sales person that this is were you change the fuel filter. I took his word for it. I cannot find the the fuel filter under the hood so he might be right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to my 2002 owners manual (page 345-347) the threaded hole under the carpet flap is where you bolt a bracket to secure your full size (flat) tire.

~Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was told that it was for accessories like the bike rack that you can attach inside. If you look at the 2000 catalog, there's one in there that shows the bike attachment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GaucheDarn said:
According to my 2002 owners manual (page 345-347) the threaded hole under the carpet flap is where you bolt a bracket to secure your full size (flat) tire.

~Jim
lol My 2003 came with a plastic garbage bag(inside the rear storage compartment)to put the flat tire in so you won't get the inside of the van dirty. Or better yet, I can bolt the bag with the flat tire in it to the floor:rotfl:
Wonder why Honda is so concerned about where to put the flat tire:eek: ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
How about for a child seat "tether" strap securing point, mandatory in some states such as NY...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The child seat tether anchors are on the wall below the tailgate. There is only one factory third row tether, and it's below the tailgate latch. Keep in mind that the anchors are specifically designed and tested for use with car seats.

It has been suggested that the spot be converted to an anchor position, but it doesn't appear to be reinforced for the job. There's also no obvious way to get underneath to secure a bolt either.

Page 345 of the owner's manual lists the spot as a flat tire holder.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thank You shellebelle!

I guess if thats what the owners manual states, then I guess that was it's intended use... I don't own an Odyssey, so I have no manual.. :p

I may have the ability to diagnose and repair and honda vehicle problem, but I participate in forums such as these to learn from you people as much as you can learn from me...

I'll be the first to say I don't know everything, but I learned something new today.. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
QUOTE]I don't own an Odyssey, so I have no manual.. [/QUOTE]

Wow!... you OdyClub members are tough! just take it easy on me... I'm a newbie!... :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
icesk8ter said:
lol My 2003 came with a plastic garbage bag(inside the rear storage compartment)to put the flat tire in so you won't get the inside of the van dirty. Or better yet, I can bolt the bag with the flat tire in it to the floor:rotfl:
Wonder why Honda is so concerned about where to put the flat tire:eek: ?
The owner's manual spells it out pretty completely, as I recall. Honda is worried about that large, heavy spare tire being a loose object; in an accident, it becomes a deadly projectile--in a car the primary purpose of which is transporting children/families.

Honda says, if you use the spare and are taking the full size tire with you to get fixed/replaced, secure it using the method outlined in the owner's manual. That hole is for securing the tire. If you don't do that, you're doing so at your own risk. If that wheel/tire starts flying around, don't go crying to Honda.

That's all they're doing with that. It pleases the lawyers. Yes, you have a plastic bag to keep things clean. You also have an attachment mechanism to keep it secured. Use both.

Most people, and that includes dealerships, have no idea what that is because they didn't read the owner's manual. My brother's dealership installed his child seat tether there. I pointed out how that was wrong, but my brother shrugged his shoulders and said "That's where the dealership put it." Man, oh man.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Honda has to worry about what you will do with the dirty full size flat since it won't fit in the spare tire well. If they didn't, here's what would happen:

1. Smith family gets flat tire.
2. Mr. Smith puts on spare and throws full size flat in the back, loose.
3. The Smith's get in an accident and the tire goes flying forward mangling Mrs. Smith and one of the kids.
4. Mr. Smiths lawyers make him the new sole owner of Honda Corp. since Honda failed to provide a way to secure the flat.

Seriously, folks. Secure that flat in the bolting anchor if you need to use the spare.

·
Registered
354 Posts
dlarsen said:
I was told from my sales person that this is were you change the fuel filter. I took his word for it. I cannot find the the fuel filter under the hood so he might be right.
This one belongs in that "stupid things dealers say" thread.:stupid:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Originally posted by manualman Seriously, folks. Secure that flat in the bolting anchor if you need to use the spare.
What hardware is used to secure the flat to the anchor??? :confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
manualman said:
Honda has to worry about what you will do with the dirty full size flat since it won't fit in the spare tire well. If they didn't, here's what would happen:

1. Smith family gets flat tire.
2. Mr. Smith puts on spare and throws full size flat in the back, loose.
3. The Smith's get in an accident and the tire goes flying forward mangling Mrs. Smith and one of the kids.
4. Mr. Smiths lawyers make him the new sole owner of Honda Corp. since Honda failed to provide a way to secure the flat.

Seriously, folks. Secure that flat in the bolting anchor if you need to use the spare.
Let's look at a little different scenario:

1. Smith family goes grocery shopping.

2. They put their groceries (including watermelon, canned vegetables, canned meats etc.) in the cargo well.

3. The Smith's get in an accident and the groceries are flying forward mangling Mrs. Smith and one of the kids.

Would Honda be responsible?
One might think its a stretch but if it's safe to transport unsecured items you buy at the grocery store, home improvement store, garden store, etc, then why it is not safe to transport an unattached flat tire?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Simple, because Honda supplied the spare tire and must provide a place to store the flat tire when the spare is in use. If you haul stuff from the Home Depot, that stuff isn't supplied by Honda, nor did they endorse they way you hauled it, so it's your responsiblity to haul in a safe and secure manor. Sorry that's the way it is in are litigious society.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RonD said:
Simple, because Honda supplied the spare tire and must provide a place to store the flat tire when the spare is in use. If you haul stuff from the Home Depot, that stuff isn't supplied by Honda, nor did they endorse they way you hauled it, so it's your responsiblity to haul in a safe and secure manor. Sorry that's the way it is in are litigious society.
Yes, they provide a tire and the place to store it. They also provided the space to use for hauling the other stuff. As for endorsment of how to haul the stuff, they even came up with the "magic seat" to make it more convinient.
Also they provided the space to store the head rests on the side behind the net when you flip down the "magic seat". Hardly that will make the head rests secure in an event of accident (I agree though that it is a better place for it than no place at all).:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
RonD said:
RonD,
You are absolutely right. Nowadays, corporations have to be "idiot proof". Since they supplied the spare and and manual states how to change out a spare, they can be found negligent for not providing a safe and secure manner to store the flat tire. Sad that our society is turning this way. Just like the law suits where a woman spilled hot coffee on her from McDonalds.....she won!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts