Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
That was my first thought when I received my signal mirrors, it's nothing but a pair of mirrors with LEDs modules glued to its' back.

The other difference between the homemade one and Muth's is that Muth's LEDs are installed horizontally facing outward while the homemade is facing toward the rear.

Too bad I already have my signal mirrors, otherwise I might just make my own.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can purchase a 6" pre-fab flexible circut board with 6 red led's 1" o.c (or 6" with 12 led's 1/2" o.c.) set up for 12 volts from http://theledlight.com/led-assemblies.html for around $35.00! I am completely "challenged" when it comes to anything electrical, but maybe one of you can give this a try and let us know if it works for you. Seems like you would just need to purchsae the flex circut board, determine how many led's you wanted to use, drill the holes in whatever design or shape you wanted, and wire it into the turn signal circuit. Of course, maybe I'm complete wrong on this too...

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
You can purchase a 6" pre-fab flexible circut board with 6 red led's 1" o.c (or 6" with 12 led's 1/2" o.c.) set up for 12 volts from http://theledlight.com/led-assemblies.html for around $35.00! I am completely "challenged" when it comes to anything electrical, but maybe one of you can give this a try and let us know if it works for you. Seems like you would just need to purchsae the flex circut board, determine how many led's you wanted to use, drill the holes in whatever design or shape you wanted, and wire it into the turn signal circuit. Of course, maybe I'm complete wrong on this too...</font>
It won't work, the specification shows it is 1/2" wide with 1" spacing, because there isn' enough room for it.

Taking apart the mirrors is a challenge especially the passenger side. I followed Muth's instruction instead of Helm's manual instruction resulting in cracked passenger side mirror.
Follow Helm's instructions and you should be okay and be sure to use gloves. Basically, you want to push the mirror so that it faces the ground, then you want to pull the top part toward you while at the same time you want to push "up" the bottom. You can use wooden wedge (the kind used to level doors/windows) to push the mirror up.

Here are the part numbers for mirrors in case you break yours (it's called mirror sub-assembly), list price is $13.63 each:
76203-S0X-A01 - Passenger side
76253-S0X-A01 - Driver side

Are you thinking about making your own signal mirrors?

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the part#'s. I'm considering making my own. If I do break the OEMs (or if some reason it doesn't work) I'll just get the Muths. Either way I should end up with some signals mirrors. What do you think?

-nemogira

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Thanks for the part#'s. I'm considering making my own. If I do break the OEMs (or if some reason it doesn't work) I'll just get the Muths. Either way I should end up with some signals mirrors. What do you think?

-nemogira

</font>
I am considering about doing the same thing, I still have the cracked passenger side mirror that I can use to practice on.
My other idea is actually putting LEDs on the mirror housing itself because LEDs behind the mirror are only visible from the rear but not from the blind spot.

-Harry

·
Registered
276 Posts
A lot of the aftermarket sidemarkers that I have seen have problem with the mounting, they become loose after a while. Also, it requires drilling/cutting the fender which, if not done properly, will cause wavy surface and might also cause rusting.
If I screw up, it'll cost me only about $110 for a complete mirror and I get to play with the one I screw up. (hopefully, I won't)

Another reason is that I like working with LEDs, they are small, bright, cheap and only consume 1/4watt each and because they are so small, they won't stand out until they come on which by the way, is another advantage, they light up almost instantly.

-Harry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi, has anyone made their own LED mirrors? I love the ideal of the Muth Signal mirrors, but are
pricey and they don’t have a heated mirror for Canadian Odyssey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts