Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Odyssey so don't misinterpret my recent negative rantings. I just want to improve what I perceive to be some of its faults.

I like the built in Homelink system that allows you to eliminate the old garage door remote control box hanging from your visor. What I dont like is that there is no illumination for these 3 side by side tiny overhead buttons. It can create a dangerous situation if you accidently press the wrong button at night.

Its not like fumbling to find your unlit window control buttons at night. These Homelink buttons control heavy garage doors and gates that can have kids in the way. You do not want to accidently press the wrong one at the wrong time. It is crucial that errors not be made. I realize that one could turn on the interior lights if one wanted to better see these buttons, but come on, no one is going to do that.

Honda, if you are listening, you need to light these tiny buttons up and make them a little bigger. A different color for each one would be a good idea too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
First of all, if it's so dark that you can't see the buttons, what are kids going to be doing outside right in front of the doors? Secondly, a different color for each button would be ugly. Thirdly, Homelink is manufacted by Johnson Controls and make the systems for many different vehicle manufacturers. They all have the same basic design with just cosmetic changes specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Honda is not the one to complain to.

[This message has been edited by vquan (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Even though I agree with you that those buttons should be backlighted but I don't think it would be easy to "accidentally" triger those buttons. You need to firmly press them for a while to activate those Homelink buttons. In the other hand, your keyless remote is much easier to be accidentally pressed and triggered than than the Homelink.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by vquan:
First of all, if it's so dark that you can't see the buttons, what are kids going to be doing outside right in front of the doors?
When the weather is warm, my kids often like to play outside on our driveway at night. They love it, and it is a lot safer than playing in the street.

At my house, there is an electric gate at the end of my driveway that one button opens and closes. Up the driveway and hidden from my view by landscaping is my garage door, controlled by another button. I cant see if my garage door is open with a kid standing under it when I open my gate. Obviously, I am careful not to press the wrong button, because doing do could have disasterous consequences. Removing the potential for confusion on these buttons that control heavy garage doors and gates seems pretty logical to me. The buttons are so small, close together, and unlit that there is potential for a mistake I would rather eliminate.

Secondly, a different color for each button would be ugly.
I really dont see these buttons except when I look rarely look up there, so this would not be a big deal to me. Its not like they are in the middle of the dash or steering wheel. Making the buttons either bigger, with more separation, or with some color would better identify them when there is enough light to see them.

Thirdly, Homelink is manufacted by Johnson Controls and make the systems for many different vehicle manufacturers. They all have the same basic design with just cosmetic changes specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Honda is not the one to complain to.
There are many subcontracted components in this vehicle. To imply that we contact Johnson Controls and not refer our suggestions for improvement to Honda, since the component is not made by them, make no sense. Honda has the ability to effect changes from the manufacturer in a less-than-perfect subcontracted part, or to change to a better manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
I love my Odyssey so don't misinterpret my recent negative rantings. I just want to improve what I perceive to be some of its faults.

I like the built in Homelink system that allows you to eliminate the old garage door remote control box hanging from your visor. What I dont like is that there is no illumination for these 3 side by side tiny overhead buttons. It can create a dangerous situation if you accidently press the wrong button at night.

Its not like fumbling to find your unlit window control buttons at night. These Homelink buttons control heavy garage doors and gates that can have kids in the way. You do not want to accidently press the wrong one at the wrong time. It is crucial that errors not be made. I realize that one could turn on the interior lights if one wanted to better see these buttons, but come on, no one is going to do that.

Honda, if you are listening, you need to light these tiny buttons up and make them a little bigger. A different color for each one would be a good idea too.
</font>
Not a bad idea. I guess it goes along with no light in the glove box, and I just realized last night that there is no light in the engine compartment when you open the hood. I love my Odyssey. It's awesome! It could use a little attention in some areas as all cars and vans could I suppose.

------------------
Dave
02 GG Odyssey EXL, Full Nose Mask, Cargo Tray, Mud Guards, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Dash Designs Dash Mat, Fog Lights. Coming soon: S2000 antenna mod, RES.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm for the backlit buttons on Homelink. I tried doing it myself with an LED but the three buttons are part of a one piece rubber deal that won't let you sneak anything behind them. The next best fix is to hide the LED in the "dead" area in the middle of the map light lense. this only barely lights the buttons, but at least gives you a reference point. But use non-red LED and make sure it's not so bright that its a distraction.

Another fix might be to use some of that hokey thin neon 1mm striplight stuff that Target and AutoZone sells (6ft for $19.99). I don't know how it attaches but I guess you could outline the maplight lense or the whole pod.

------------------
'02 Granite Green EX-L
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For now, I've gone the lazy route. I had some glow-in-the-dark tape in the shop. removed the button cover, and taped over it. Then cut the 3 button holes from the back. I also punched a round hole for the triangular LED. It's better than nothing.

Thanks for the link to the Acura forum, Nestor. I guess LEDs can be fit in there after all. I was just too chicken to carve out the area needed for the bases and leads. I didn't want to hurt whatever was behind there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts