Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping that someone could help with a question concerning my 2002 EX. I have a Liftmaster garage door opener with a rolling code. I have been trying to set up the buttons, and have not been able to get the buttons to program. A friend of mine has the the exact same car and has been unable to program his on a Liftmaster either. We followed the directions in the Odyssey manual and the Liftmaster manuals (they are slightly different), but to no avail.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I didn't have any problems when I programmed mine. I have a Sears opener that's under a year old.

Is your Liftmaster a Homelink device? I'd think it is.

Where in the instructions do you think something's going wrong?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Tell us the procedure you followed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Liftmaster is the name of the garage door opener that I own. It has a variable code, which means that it changes upon each use. This means also that the car needs to be programmed from the garage opener iteself, rather than just from the remote door opener.

What I did was press the two outside Homelink buttons for about 20 seconds to clear the existing information (the red light starts to flash). I then went to the garage door opener and pressed the "learn" button on the opener until the indicator light went on. I then pressed the left Homelink button for 5 seconds each three times. I also tried a number of different iterations of pressing the Homelink buttons (20 seconds at a time, 10 seconds at a time, pressing Homelink before the "learn" button, after the "learn" button). I also tried the center and right Homelink buttons to see if that might help.

This was tried on two different Odysseys, since a friend was over and couldn't get his to work either!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rickse:
Liftmaster is the name of the garage door opener that I own. It has a variable code, which means that it changes upon each use. This means also that the car needs to be programmed from the garage opener iteself, rather than just from the remote door opener.

What I did was press the two outside Homelink buttons for about 20 seconds to clear the existing information (the red light starts to flash). I then went to the garage door opener and pressed the "learn" button on the opener until the indicator light went on. I then pressed the left Homelink button for 5 seconds each three times. I also tried a number of different iterations of pressing the Homelink buttons (20 seconds at a time, 10 seconds at a time, pressing Homelink before the "learn" button, after the "learn" button). I also tried the center and right Homelink buttons to see if that might help.

This was tried on two different Odysseys, since a friend was over and couldn't get his to work either!!

</font>
The Homelink website shows that Liftmaster is compatible.

The Homelink instructions say to <a href="http://www.homelink.com/contact/contact.html">contact Homelink</a> about problems with a rolling code system.

I have no problem with my Chamberlain rolling code system.

Regards,

Maugham<font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 03-03-2002).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have 3 lift master openers and once we followed the directions on the opener we didn't have a problem. I think it went through 3-5 learning cycles or so. My husband was working the opener and I stayed in the van to push the homelink button.

We only set one. If you are having a problem still, we can set another and write down the exact steps for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rickse,
You left out a step in your programming. Once you've cleared the codes (...holding the outside buttons for about 20 secs), you've got to hold the remote for your liftmaster within the 2-5 inches and press the button on the remote and the button that you want to program on the Homelink console at the same time (hold both buttons for about 2 seconds). Then you teach the Homelink system the rolling code just as you described.

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Odynut:
Rickse,
You left out a step in your programming. Once you've cleared the codes (...holding the outside buttons for about 20 secs), you've got to hold the remote for your liftmaster within the 2-5 inches and press the button on the remote and the button that you want to program on the Homelink console at the same time (hold both buttons for about 2 seconds). Then you teach the Homelink system the rolling code just as you described.
</font>

Odynut is 100% right. I have a liftmaster gdo (Garage Door Opener) and I programmed both my Maxima and the Accord the same way. You clear memory, then program one button with the original remote. Then Climb up the ladder to the GDO and press the learn button, then climb down the ladder and press the button you just programmed and it should work. For the Accord it worked the first time I did it so I am sure that there are no more than one tries required if you do the process correctly.

Now, if you do not have your original remote then my friend you are out of luck.

[This message has been edited by piyush (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your help. I left out the part on using the original remote before going to the learn button.

Anyone need an extra remote?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts