Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look for my new Ody this weekend and thought about getting the Honda 16" Machine Finish Wheels as the only dealer option. I had never had wheels swapped out when i bought a new car and don't know if the dealer will give me credit for the factory wheels when they swap them out. If you think they should give me credit for factory wheels, what would be resonable?(remember, this is a dealer/salesmen). On Handa they show a price for 16" Machine Finish Wheels for $202.80 and the factory EX wheels for $124.23.
I know i can buy the wheels from Handa and sell the factory wheels myself and do lot better, but i really do not want to go through the hassel and willing to give up some money.
Why i don't go with aftermarket wheels, i did it once on my Mustang GT while back and the offset was off a bit, went from 15" rims to 16" rim and i didn't like the way the wheel kinda pulled when i was marking turns.
Any reply would be appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish you luck, but I wouldn't think the dealer will give you credit for your factory wheels. If you were so fortunate as to get credit for them, I don't think the Handa-accessories price would be too far off to get a credit.

IF (IF) they were to sell those factory alloys, they'd do so for much more than $125 each. I'd bet they'd ask closer to $200 each for those alloys. Maybe they could put them on an LX and jack up the price on that?

I just bought the EX wheels for my LX, so I have the only Satin Silver Odyssey w/ EX wheels and NO luggage rack. :)

I'm geeky that way. I can tell my Odyssey is different from all the others out there. You could do the same with the "machine finish" wheels. I haven't seen ANY like that in South Florida, where I am.

Personally, I'd buy the rims from handa-accessories and sell my the EX wheels. Let's see what kind of deal the dealership gives you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
SoFlaOdyssey said:
I wish you luck, but I wouldn't think the dealer will give you credit for your factory wheels. If you were so fortunate as to get credit for them, I don't think the Handa-accessories price would be too far off to get a credit.

OK, 2nd try to respond to this post. You hit it right on the nose, almost all dealers i asked for the swap told me they had to charge the price on Honda/option site, around $1,100 and no credit for old rims. But 2 of the 3 dealers that quoted me MSRP is willing to work with me and their service depatment.

IF (IF) they were to sell those factory alloys, they'd do so for much more than $125 each. I'd bet they'd ask closer to $200 each for those alloys. Maybe they could put them on an LX and jack up the price on that?

Thats what one of the dealer told me, if we do the wheel swap. He would sell it to a LX owner.

I just bought the EX wheels for my LX, so I have the only Satin Silver Odyssey w/ EX wheels and NO luggage rack. :)

I'm geeky that way. I can tell my Odyssey is different from all the others out there. You could do the same with the "machine finish" wheels. I haven't seen ANY like that in South Florida, where I am.

I guess i'm geeky that way also, i want to do it, so my EX is different from others and i kinda like the way the option wheels look, better than the stock ones.

Personally, I'd buy the rims from handa-accessories and sell my the EX wheels. Let's see what kind of deal the dealership gives you.

I guess my age is showing, because i don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell the rims myself. I offered the dealers, if they can do the swap and install tires for $200per wheel or less, i'll go for it. Where did i get $200 from?. Well, i look at it this way, if i get the wheels from Handa, it would cost me $202.80, plus shipping (due to weight, i'm sure it will cost me) and because i live in Calif and where i live, the tax is 8.25%=$16.73per. Then on the other side, if i put the old rims on Ebay to sell (if anyone would bid on them), i figure i may get maybe around $100per rim (i never gone to Ebay and looked at what things like rim sells for), i'm sure Ebay would charge me something and then i would have to pay to ship it out to the winner. The one dealer who was going to sell old rim to LX owner, said he should be able to do it for lot less. The other dealer said, they sell stuff on Ebay all the time and it might work. Remember, i'm asking a dealer to do this for me, with their cost for the wheels, i'm sure they will make a nice profit on this deal, and i get what i want and willing to pay. I'll post how it goes when i pick up my Ody, but i told all 3 dealers that, 1st one to have what i want will get my money. All 3 dealer said there was no problem with that, and they would just take my name off the waiting list.

Good luck!
sorry, but when i tried to sumit my reply,sever went down and when it came up, it took out all my text, i will edit later. 4th dealer just call and said they have what i want and may sell at MSRP.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
False alram, the guy is just playing games with me, this guy called Monday and asked if i found any dealer that was willing to sell at or below MSRP, i told him i already had 2 dealers at MSRP. He then said he will call me right back. Well he never did, so i crossed him off on my dealer list, 2 days later(today) he calls me and tells me he just got in, what i was looking for and asked if it was too late, then he asked what was the lowest price i found, so i told him now i'm on 3 dealers waiting list at MSRP. He then told me if he can get the owner to go for MSRP, if i would take it, i said yes. He said, he will call back in 5min. Well, its now over 4hours after he called. I'm not sure what kind of game he is trying to playing, but no matter what he say next time he calls, i'm going to blow him off!:mad:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried to do this when I got my 02 Ody last week, but the service manager woundn't got for it. They claim they have never had a request for a set of stock EX rims, so they would be stuck with the 4 rims I swapped.

I also like my cars to be just a little different, so it stands out. The machined 16" rims are nice though :cool:

-Kevin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your best bet is to by the wheels you want, and sell the EX wheels. The EX wheels should get a good price here in the classified section.
OR, look at Tirerack.com, they have some nice 16” and 17” five spoke wheels for as low as $105.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr. Z said:
I tried to do this when I got my 02 Ody last week, but the service manager woundn't got for it. They claim they have never had a request for a set of stock EX rims, so they would be stuck with the 4 rims I swapped.

I also like my cars to be just a little different, so it stands out. The machined 16" rims are nice though :cool:

-Kevin
I guess i won't find out if one of the 2 dealer will really do the rim swap for me. The one that said they were expecting my color in few days called back later that day and told me the one they were expecting was already spoken for that morning and just found out. I guess she felt sorry for me, because she was suppose to get back to me the day befor with what they were expecting. She offered to do a dealer car swap for same MSRP, she called back few hours later and told me there were 5 in this area. I called her yesterday morning to find out the status of the swap and she told me, none of the other dealers where willing to swap. She was the one that said maybe to the rim swap and sell it on Ebay. I guess, i'm back on 3 to 5 week wait for the other 2 dealers, but the good news is, the other dealer that was going to try the wheel swap under my $200 offer told me, wait time should be 2 to 3 weeks, he only goes by the waitting list and does not assign cars to people on the list. He said, he gets 29 Ody per month at his dealership. If he flakes out, the 3rd dealer isn't expecting one in until 4 to 5 weeks and no wheel swap deal. I did ask most of the dealer that replied to my quote about the wheel swap and all except these two dealer said no.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Deal

Well, just bought my Ody yesterday from the dealer that said, she may sell the stock wheels on Ebay after we swap them out. The service Manager would not go for it, so no optional Honda wheels for me. :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could always try selling your stock rims on EBay first (shipped once your new rims arrived), then after selling them order your new rims from you local Honda or Handa.

Don't know if someone would want to wait the extra week or so for you to order your new rims and have them mounted/balanced first.

My service manager said the same thing, BTW.

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mr. Z said:
You could always try selling your stock rims on EBay first (shipped once your new rims arrived), then after selling them order your new rims from you local Honda or Handa.

Don't know if someone would want to wait the extra week or so for you to order your new rims and have them mounted/balanced first.

My service manager said the same thing, BTW.

-Kevin
I was only going to do this, if it could be done at the dealer, i like the optional wheels look bit better, but stock wheels look OK to me. Now i'm looking into sunroof, maybe. I got a quote from one of the local places over the internet for around $1200 installed, its the type that can be tip up or side back, with auto close feature, its their top of the line sunroof. He said the opening was 32" across. I guess i should go by his shop one of these days. Just worried about someone cutting up my new Ody. Maybe i'll wait til next year, when its not so new. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, I don't think I have the stomach to watch someone cut into the sheet metal like that! :eek:

My wife would divorce me if I did something like that to her brand new Ody!

-K

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i would really would like a sunroof, but i think i'll wait til next year when my Ody isn't so new. I have a friend who had 3 of their cars done at this place over the years and when it was new off the lot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Kind of an old thread but I've opted for the accessory Honda Aerospoke wheels when I take delivery of my '03 EX-L. Dealer gave me a discount on the wheels AND a $200 takeoff credit for the stock alloys.

If you already have a vehicle and have driven around on the factory alloys, I doubt he would have done that.

If your dealer won't give you a credit on your factory alloys, then eBay be the place!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PipeMajor said:
Kind of an old thread but I've opted for the accessory Honda Aerospoke wheels when I take delivery of my '03 EX-L. Dealer gave me a discount on the wheels AND a $200 takeoff credit for the stock alloys.

If you already have a vehicle and have driven around on the factory alloys, I doubt he would have done that.

If your dealer won't give you a credit on your factory alloys, then eBay be the place!
I was only going to do the swap on wheels, if it could be done befor i took delivery of my Ody. Only one dealer i was dealing with sounded like he would do it, but another dealer came through with my Ody 1st, she tried to make the swap, but the service manager wouldn't go for anykind of credit for the factory wheels. He said, he didn't want to get stuck with the wheels. I'm over, wanting to replace the factory wheels for now, maybe when the tires ware out, i may think about it again.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts