Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shopped pretty hard, and discovered that Trevor's prices for Honda accessories were the lowest available.

But when I talked to my salesman tonight, he showed me what his parts guys were charging the sales department--and said that he'd just pass that right along to me, with no markup.

My dealer's prices were only between 10% and 20% more than Trevor's prices. I was pretty amazed. The biggest difference I found was the bass module; $214 from Trevor, $241 from my dealer.

I'm only getting cargo mat, fenderwell trim, mud flaps, door edge guards, and bass module (and fog lights too, if we can straighten THAT one out). Overall, I'm spending about $50-$75 more with my dealer than I would have with Trevor. Through the dealer I pay tax; through Trevor I pay shipping. That's probably a wash here.

I simply would not argue over $75. I told my guy that if he could come close on the accessory prices, I'd just do it that way and give him the installation business, too, just to sweeten the pot and keep the warranty issues all kosher.

I bet there's probably 2.5 hours of installation in there. $125. Total net cost getting this stuff from the dealer: $200, max.

I'm buying a $30K van here. $200 to keep the business local and not argue with a guy I know and like is a no-brainer for me.

I'm lucky; this dealership is small and family owned and it's so damn easy working with them on everything from service to sales. It's not one of those factories that's run "by the book", if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Adam1991,

You are very lucky to have a dealer like that. My experience is quite different. All the dealers in our area want full MSRP for everything plus installation charges. Back when I was looking at a 2001 EX they wanted nearly $600 for the trailer hitch alone. No transmission or PS coolers. I can buy the same thing from Trevor for $225 and pay my mechanic friend $100 to install it. Savings $275.00!

Instead of purchasing the 2001 I waited for a Red Rock Pearl 2002 and tried again to bargain with the dealer. Same thing, MSRP plus install. On the Extended warranty a 7 years, 100,000 miles, zero deductible they wanted $1495. I told them I was going to buy one somewhere and couldn't they come down a bit. No dice. $1495, take it or leave it. I know I can buy it for $900 - $950 at other dealers. I just don't understand that mentality. After they just made several thousand dollars on the van sale you would think that for very little extra work they would want to make another couple hundred off the warranty. I inquired about several other accessories that don't require installation, MSRP - take it or leave it. Dealer price $284. Trevor's price including shipping $171.31. Savings $112.69!

I don't mind the dealers making a few bucks on the deal, I just don't like to be gouged. They think that they are the only place in town to get this stuff but they are wrong. Thanks to Trevor and the merchants like him we are all better consumers.

Sorry to be ranting about this. I think I'll go take a nice quiet drive in my brand new Ody.

-John

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you have a local dealer that treats you right, then by all means encourage and reward this behavior by giving him your business.

My dealer wanted $699 for foglights, and $499 for cassette player. That's where Trevor comes in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
adam,

What is your opinion of the cargo mat? I'm thinking of getting one and wanted some first hand experience.

I used the Ody when I borrowed my brother-in-law's power washer the other day. I wish I had that mat in the van then.

·
Registered
239 Posts
bobf58,
Just curious, where did you come up with that exact figure, 99.44%?
Yes, I am one of your 99.44% who totally agree and has installed one. However, does anyone has experienc that when you fold down the 3rd bench seat into the well with the cargo tray in place, it takes a lot of effort to bring the seat back up to place. A couple times, I forgot to keep that handle which dangle in the back of the 3rd seat out of the well before I folded the seat, It took me and my wife forever to bring the seat back up. Anyone has that experience too ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
bobf58,
Just curious, where did you come up with that exact figure, 99.44%?
(snip)
</font>
At the risk of dating bobf58 and myself, that was part of an old Ivory Soap commercial describing the purity of their product. I suspect that Bob used it somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts