Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Does anyone out there really use synthetic ATF to replace the 1/3 of the ATF-Z1 with on their Odyssey?

2. Would the synthetic ATF void the warranty?

3. Is Honda ATF-Z1 a dino oil?

4. Where to find an alternative of Honda ATF-Z1? I bought 4 quarts last week. Each quart costs $5.79. Is there any online order cheaper than this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I did not think in terms of flammability.

Anyway, I saw at one of the shops (forgot the name in exact, either WalMart or Kmart) with a good quality synthetic ATF about $4. $5.79 ATF-Z1 is way too much in my mind.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would not chance subbing an unknown substance for the OE fluid, to save a coupla bucks a quart. That sort of stuff has caused DC owners lotsa trouble. The machinery you are protecting is WAY too valuable. By the way, I ordered and got several chemicals, including ATF, from Manchester Honda and there was no trouble with shipping.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
318 Posts
1> No, I have not found ATF-Z1 compatible Synthetic ATF yet. And why would you want to replace only 1/3 if it was available.

2. No idea on this one.

3. I am afraid that there is no ATF-Z1 compatible ATF from another manufacturer at this time. ATF differs from motor oil specs as far as certification is concerned. Engine oil is certified by API while ATF is developped and certified by the car manufacturers.

So if Pennzoil for instance wants to sell ATF-Z1 compatible oil in the marketplace, they must first buy the specifications from Honda, then have it certified.

One last word of caution, There are many different specifications for ATF these days. The days of using Dexron ATF fluid everywhere is long gone. If you do not use the correct fluid in your transmission you could end up with a very hefty repair bill and this would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gnuhcw:
1. Does anyone out there really use synthetic ATF to replace the 1/3 of the ATF-Z1 with on their Odyssey?

2. Would the synthetic ATF void the warranty?

3. Is Honda ATF-Z1 a dino oil?

4. Where to find an alternative of Honda ATF-Z1? I bought 4 quarts last week. Each quart costs $5.79. Is there any online order cheaper than this?
</font>

·
Registered
240 Posts
HI there, Im new to ODY and even though your
post is a couple months old I believe I can
help you regarding a source for tranny fluid.
Try-- hparts.com--they have it for approx
$2.90 a qt and they will ship!! And while
Im here let me just say that every 10-15k miles it is a good idea to drain 3 qts and replace with same amount.You will need a 17mm
socket to undo the fill hole and a square
3/8 to remove the tranny bung..a long funnel
helps in adding fluid...good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The reason only 1/3 can be replaced by draining is that the rest is in the torque convertor and lines. The only way to get it all replaced at once is to have it flushed using a special machine. Usually it replaces it with Dexron, but this can be converted to Honda specs by adding either Smart Blend (black bottle) or Lube Guard at the end of the flush. Another way is to do it yourself by draining and adding fluid 4X consecutively (driving a few miles in all gears in between) using F Type ATF (Ford) the first flush and Dexron the next three flushes, topping off with Smart Blend or Lube Guard. If you do the math correctly you will see that this replaces around 90% of the original fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts