Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our American friends seem to have lots of alternatives to buying Honda Care or other brands of extended warranties. Any of my fellow Canadians found a better deal online or in another province? I just received my 2011 EXL-RES and the dealer's best discount is $100 off on Honda Care.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a warranty for my imported Odyssey. It is from Secure Warranty. Knock on wood I haven't had to use it yet! My more difficult for me to get because it is an imported car. I think there are a few companies like this out there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our American friends seem to have lots of alternatives to buying Honda Care or other brands of extended warranties. Any of my fellow Canadians found a better deal online or in another province? I just received my 2011 EXL-RES and the dealer's best discount is $100 off on Honda Care.
There's very little wiggle room for these as Honda Canada expects their dealerships to strictly adhere to a minimum margin. I negotiated a $150 discount on a 6 year extended warranty and the finance manager was told to make up for this elsewhere in the books.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a warranty for my imported Odyssey. It is from Secure Warranty. Knock on wood I haven't had to use it yet! My more difficult for me to get because it is an imported car. I think there are a few companies like this out there.
Did you import the Odyssey yourself? I was very close to using a broker.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's very little wiggle room for these as Honda Canada expects their dealerships to strictly adhere to a minimum margin. I negotiated a $150 discount on a 6 year extended warranty and the finance manager was told to make up for this elsewhere in the books.
Painful isn't it, watching the deals our American cousins are getting :mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you import the Odyssey yourself? I was very close to using a broker.
Yes, but I had a US friend buy a brand new one in Seattle and I bought it from him. It was basically all paperwork. Honda does not sell direct for export. If you are able to have someone help you there, the paperwork etc is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anyone is wondering, HondaCare is country specific, emailed Hyannis Honda.

Hondacare from dealers in the U.S. is not valid in Canada. There are two
different corporations(Honda America and Honda Canada). They do not accept
each other's warranties.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
513 Posts
When we were looking at buying our van I looked into Canada/US warranty coverage and what I got to understand is that Honda's warranty only applies for someone who lives in the country in which it was sold originally UNLESS the person who bought it lived in one country but moved to the other country and put some paper work in to Honda. This way a US resident who bought his van in the US but is traveling to Canada can get service in Canada, but a Canadian resident who buys that van cannot.

Again, that was my understanding.

By contrast, Toyota's warranty covers across North America, regardless of who owns the van. There are a lot of second hand Siennas for sale in Canada.

Nicolas

·
Registered
1 Posts
$400 off Hondacare in Ottawa

Hi:

Just signed the papers for my 2011 Ody Touring in Ottawa, Canada. Was offered $400 off any Hondacare term. Thinking the 7 year, 160,000 km for $1708. I can't believe how much more the warranty is here than in the US, but I'm guessing the weather conditions may have something to do with it.

About $35/month for the extra 4 years.

My 2005 Ody needed wheel bearings done, power steering pump but that's about it. It was an LX though, not even power doors, so I'm thinking there is much more to go wrong with this car.

Comments?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$400 off is pretty good. Other than HondaCare I was also presented with another option, First Canadian Extended Owner Comfort. They are about the same price but if you don't use the extended warranty then at the end of the warranty period you get it refunded.

I opted not to buy extended warranty from my Honda Dealership.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, US warranties for Honda's are not valid in Canada. The one I bought is from Secure Warranty in Canada. I think there are more and more warranty providers now compared to 2008 when I imported the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts