Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the market for the Honda Care warranty. Where can we find the deals everyone talks about?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Originally posted by Seahorse

The URL below lists a couple of places that advertise the Honda Care Warranty at 895. I called Brandon Winfree at Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas and he said the price had gone up to 905 I think. I showed a print-out of the web page to the finance guy at Honda of Clear Lake and he matched the 895 price for 7/100,000/0. (Originally, the sales rep had quoted around 1,400.)
http://www.1netweb.com/checklist.htm

Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas, TX
(214) 348-7500
(214) 328-8809 fax
www.thehondaking.com

------------------
Admin

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Originally posted by sfearing

Here's a list of dealers that will sell you the HondaCare 100/7/0 warranty either by e-mail or phone. I collected this list from the Edmunds forum as I was doing research to purchase the warranty and have updated the prices and phone numbers as of Feb. 8, 2001. Note that it doesn't matter what dealer sells you the warranty. Present this information to your dealer, he may match the price.
If you know you will be driving the van over 20K miles per year it is much more cost effective to get a 5 year/100K warranty for about $200 less.

Honda doesn't sell a warranty for more than 100K miles.

If your van is over 2 years old and has more than 18-24K miles then you will pay more.

Union Park Honda (Wilmington, DE) - Greg Allen <[email protected]> (302) 573-5222 - $925

Saratoga Honda (NY) - David Winnie (518) 587-9300 - $975

Hatfield Honda (Maumee, OH) - Don Towle (419) 893-5581 $925 + $57.21 tax = $982.21

Burns Honda (Marlton, NJ) - Harry, finance (856) 983-0600 - $995

Hoehn Honda (San Diego) - Robert Lennick (760) 438-1818 - $1025

Empire Honda (Denver) - Jim Duvall (303) 399-1950 - $1025

------------------
Admin

·
Registered
1 Posts
When we purchased out 2K1 EX, we asked the person that we worked with if they could match the $895 that other dealers would sell for via email or phone, they did not question it at all. They are still making money on the sale.
By all means, "ASK" the dealer, the worst thing they can say is no and no really doesn't hurt at all... afterall, you can still purchase the warranty somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read post this AM on the Edmunds Town Hall site about someone who just purchased an EX from Alton Blakely Honda in KY and got a 7/100/0 HC Warranty from them for $875. This is the lowest I have seen on any discussion for some time. I know you can purchase HCW from any dealer, so this may be worth a try They might not give such a deal if you don't buy your van there, but hey, they still make $$. Since I'm still 3 months away from getting our SS LX, I'll keep an eye out. Good luck to all and tell us how you did.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I have never purchased any extended warranty before, especially on cars. I usually feel at the prices they charge, it is much better to save the money and bank it for future repairs. That said, at the prices people have posted, these warranties are probably almost even money. Even better is the fact that they include full roadside assistance for the full term, which is not included in Honda's basic warranty. This is worth $40 to $50 a year from AAA.

I see many are getting the 7/100/0 warranty for around $900. I opted for the 5 year, 60,000 mile, $50 deductible warranty. We only drive 10-12k a year, so this term was fine.

The cost to me was $455 from Gregallen Vagnini at UnionPark Honda in Wilmington, Delaware. (www.unionpark.com). Everything was done by mail and e-mail. No taxes for out of state residents.

Some quick comparisons:
5/60/100 on Pontiac Montana 2WD from GMWarrantyCentral.com: $710
5/60/50 on Odyssey from HondaWarranty.net: $525
5/60/50 on Windstar from fordwarrantycentral.com: $545
5/60/50 on GCaravan from ChryslerWarranty.com: $550

Don't know if it will payoff or not, but the price was very competitive. Some additional details are here:
http://www.honda2001.com/hondacare/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[email protected] (NY) just quoted me a price of $975 for the 7/100/0.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
185 Posts
First, I want to thank the owner(s) here for putting up this site. I was thinking about putting up a site like this since I also run a non-auto forum using UBB. The Edmunds town hall discussion is good but it is not user friendly at all.

At any rate, thanks for the EXCELLENT info about the HCW.

Looks like I've got some emailing to do.

Mahalo no,
Errol

BTW, I sent an email to Union Honda via address [email protected] It was rejected. Did I mispell the address?

------------------
Keohi Web Design
"Make Waves on the Web" (TM)

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 02-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
First, I want to thank the owner(s) here for putting up this site. I was thinking about putting up a site like this since I also run a non-auto forum using UBB. The Edmunds town hall discussion is good but it is not user friendly at all.

BTW, I sent an email to Union Honda via address [email protected] It was rejected. Did I mispell the address?
</font>
Thanks Errol. If you ever have anything to contribute such as photos or articles, feel free to email them to [email protected]

Gregallen's email is [email protected]

------------------
Admin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Odyssey Owners!
I am the Businnes Manager at Alton Blakley Honda in Somerset, KY (96,98,99, & 2000 President's Award Dealer). I have had several contacts concerning the HondaCare.
Special Prices are listed below:
Odyssey w/less than 12,000 miles and <1yr old
7/100,000/0 $875
6/100,000/0 $755
5/100,000/0 $665
7/75,000/0 $655
6/75,000/0 $625
5/75,000/0 $575
5/60,000/0 $465
4/60,000/0 $415

Please contact me at (800)264-3275 or [email protected] for any questions!
Thanks! Tracy Dalton, Business Manager

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Tracy for posting here. Expect your business to grow. You've got the best price in town, figuratively speaking.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am curious to find out if anyone has had
any experience with GE (General Electric)
7/75/$50 deductible warranty.

Our dealer is offering this for about
$770 or so with a MONEY BACK clause that
pays $770 back if you do not have any kind
of warranty claims.

This sounds good, but I am wondering if
the dealership will have a tendency to
have me replace parts that may void the
money back option past the standard
warranty period (especially if they know
that I have a GE warranty!).

·
Registered
182 Posts
anonymouse:I saw a post a while back in one of the other forums about a warranty that refunded the entire price if there was no claim against it during the 7 years. I thought they had said it was the HondaCare but the only thing I found in it was a refund if you change your mind in the first 60 days.

I believe that the fewer people/companies you have involved the better it will be if you do have a claim, less buck passing. I was a service adviser at a Honda dealer in the early 90's and always had to make sure the outside warranty company was contacted before any repair was even started or they would deny coverage. Also, sometimes they would direct us to replace a part, like an alternator, with a cheaper one from a local auto store rather than a Honda certifed part. I'm not saying all warranty companies would do that, but some did then.

I have never bought an extended warranty before but am thinking about it for the Ody. I figure I can not renew my AAA, and have peace of mind for 7/100/0 for a small amount. I sent an e-mail to Tracy Dalton at Alton Blakley Honda(mentioned in eariler post here) and she has sent me the forms to sign. Cost is $875 and I can even put it on my charge card. I do have a question for anyone that has the 7/100/0 already. The application says it is plan code B70, and I want to make sure Honda doesn't have more that one 7/100/0. If anyone could verify the plan code I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
anonymouse:I saw a post a while back in one of the other forums about a warranty that refunded the entire price if there was no claim against it during the 7 years. I thought they had said it was the HondaCare .....</font>
Well, I now know for a fact that it is GE
7 year, 75K warranty for about $740. If you don't use it, you get your money back. Here is some of the info direct from the GE brochure:

Vehicle Protection, 5 star program

Highlights:

- Available on both new and use vehicles, certain restrictions apply
- You choose the repair facility, not us
- Transferable coverage if you sell vehicle before contract expires
- Seals and gaskets coverage for the length of the contract
- Reliable, worry free protection against costly repairs
- Nationwide coverage US & Canada
- No waiting for reimbursements

The 5 star program covers virtually every component, system and part, such as:

- Engine
- Transmission
- Drive Axle
- Steering
- Power Equipment (Antenna, Sunroof, etc)
- AC
- Front & Rear suspension
- Electrical System
- Brakes
- Fuel System
- Cooling System
- Electronics
- Body/Interior parts

Additional benefits:
- No cost towing
- Car Rental (excluding Hawaii)
- Trip Interruption, get lodging and meal
reimbursement if you vehicle breaks down
when you are away from home (excl California)

There is a $100 deductible for all repairs.

Administered by General Electric Capital Mgmt Corp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
anonymouse:I saw a post a while back in one of the other forums about a warranty that refunded the entire price if there was ...</font>
Anonymouse may want to try the follow site for an explanation of the plan codes:

http://www.williamsburghonda.com/hondaextended.htm

B70 is the 7 year, 100k, 0 deductible warranty. There is another one called the Honda Care Sentinel that includes oil changes and is available with new cars only. As for me, I'm ordering the B70 from Tracy. Looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hokieokie,
Thanks for posting the site with the Honda Care plan codes. I was trying to confirm the B70 plan. I mailed my forms to Tracy today.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 OdyEX MB

·
Registered
3 Posts
HondaCare seems to be the best, and prices are competitive if you refer to a 'Best Price' from an internet dealer source. I bought an '01 SS LX this weekend, and dealer offered 7/100/0 HC warranty for $855 + tax ($898), which they admitted was cost + $30. Tracy's $875 is slighly better b/c there's no tax (out of state). I will wait to see what my driving pattern (mileage) is before I purchase. Any opinions about purchasing for an LX? Getting it with an EX seems to be a no-brainer. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

I've received the packet from Honda via Tracy Dalton.

In reading the terms of the contract, it defines "Mechanical Breakdown as
the inability of a properly maintained part covered under the contract
to perform the function for which it was designed, due to defects in
materials or workmanship. Mechanical breakdown does not mean the
gradual reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear."

This poses a question in my mind as far as applicability to Odyssey
features, specifically the automatic doors. These motor driven doors by
virtue of being the in/egress devices for the van will get a LOT of
use. I don't see anything in the owner's manual addressing
maintenance.

How would Honda determine if breakdown of the door is covered under the contract, e.g., not considered wear and tear? And
I guess not just the doors themselves but the other parts of the car? How is breakdown assessed? Is there a rule that is used throughout the Honda network in evaluating a failed component?

I've actually sent these questions to Tracy. Just wondering what you guys think. Contract can be cancelled within 60 days of purchase so I want to make sure this would really be of use to me.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

1 - 20 of 65 Posts