Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those who are hesitant in purchasing extended warranties at dealerships so I am thinking about puchasing the Mechanical Breakdown Protection program through my auto insurance, GEICO. Here's the link to their website: http://www.geico.com/insproducts/faq_insprmulti.html The premium is $55/year for up to 7 years/100,000 miles ($385 for 7 years), but there is a $250 deductible. I figure if my ODY breaks down twice, the total I would have paid for Honda Care vs. the total I would have paid for the GEICO policy is about the same ($875 vs. $885 respectively). If my ODY doesn't break down during the 7years, I figure i'm ahead by $490. Does anyone have have this policy through GEICO? What are the differences between the two products as far as coverage?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As i'm looking to buy Ody soon, i always shop for new insurance just to see if my current insurance company is still the lowest one. I did look at the Geico extended warranty plan and thought about it and relized if i did go with their plan, i would be stuck with Geico insurance until i can no longer get the extended warranty(+100000 miles) or until i sell the van, i plan to keep the van for long time. So after 3 year or 36000 miles, Geico raises my insurance rate or another insurance company lowers their rates below Geico's, then i would have to take the chance of having no warranty to save lot of money on insurance or keep paying Geico lot more than i should for my insurance. I do compaire rates of insurance companys every one to two years and you will be supprised on how much lower your insurance rate can get, not to say, i find a lower rate everytime i shop, but it seem to me about every 4 to 6 year i do change my isurance company because the savings are in the few hundred dollor range(yes, i live in a high insurance rate area). Lucky for me on this topic(extended warranty) that i do not have to consider Geico for my insurance company, as i asked for quote from few companys so far for a Ody and Geico was the highest quoted rate so far and AAA is the lowest and the differance was about $400+ for Geico! But going back to extended warranties, i do like the idea of paying up front(Honda care) ver paying something with my insurance payment and lossing the extended warranty if i decide to leave Geico for my insurance company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts