Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I bought my 01 EX EG Odyssey, I also got he 7yr/75k honda care warranty. I would like to know if there is a way to change it to the 10 yr/100k warranty.

Basically, can I cancel my current one and buy the other one.

My objectives are two fold-- (1) I think i paid high for the 7yr/75k and I want to get out of that, (2) I would like the longer coverage.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sleonardo:
H

</font>
I just read the contact yesterday. If you cancel (and it's a prorated refund after 60 days) it specifically says that you can not ever add a new one.

You might be able to get a dealer to convert it to a higher plan, but you'll have to pay more for it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didn't know Honda had a 10 year option. I got a 7yr/100,000/0 and thought it was the highest option available. I agree with dmarkson about not being able to get another HondaCare contract after you cancel. You could cancel and go with a GE contract or something like that. I prefer the HondaCare. Paid $875. I made a mistake and drove wife's Caddy to Florida eariler this month. It broke down on I75 by Ocala. The fuel pump had shorted out. They have two styles, not interchangable. One costs $129, the other $414. Guess which one we had. Out of warranty by 13,000 miles and 2 years. Bummer. The Odyssey if same age and miles would have been covered under the HondaCare. So if planning on keeping the Ody for a long time just pay it and don't look back.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently going through the same situation but I bought the 7yr/75K honda care warranty. I want the 7yr/100K warranty. I did not know there was a 10yr/100K. I called the number in my Honda Care book and asked if I could cancel and purchase another plan. They said yes as long as you purchase through another Honda dealership. I plan to purchase the 7yr/100K with Tracy Dalton at Alton Blakely Honda for $875.

I cancelled my 7yr/75K with dealership yesterday because they were unwilling to match price and plan with Alton Blakely. I guess they won't make any money on the deal.

I suggest you call Honda Care and verify. If it has been more than 60 days since you bought your warranty I think there is a charge for cancelling.

I hope this helps.

selrahc
01 SS EX
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sleonardo:
Hi all,

When I bought my 01 EX EG Odyssey, I also got he 7yr/75k honda care warranty. I would like to know if there is a way to change it to the 10 yr/100k warranty.

My objectives are two fold-- (1) I think i paid high for the 7yr/75k and I want to get out of that, (2) I would like the longer coverage.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
</font>

·
Registered
74 Posts
I most certainly canceled the 5/100/50 Hondacare Warranty I originally purchased from my Honda dealer - and purchassed a 7/100/0 Hondacare warranty from another Honda dealer out of state. This was last October, so things might have changed, but there was no clause saying I couldn't purchase another in either of my warranties.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We faced a similar situation before we took delivery of our van. We bought a 7/100/50 and paid more than we should have. It was only after dicovering this site did I find out that you can actually shop for an extended warranty.

During my research I also contacted Jeff Klotz-1st Texas Honda (shameless plug) his phone is (512) 458-2511 x200. Jeff made several calls to me and his Honda rep. and assured me that even if my dealer refused to rewrite my policy that I could cancel and he would write me a new one. I asked specifically if I cancelled would there be a problem getting another HondaCare policy written and he gave me an emphatic NO PROBLEM. I asked if I could cancel and rewrite 100 times and he said if I wanted to fine.

I ended up getting the dealer where we purchased the vehicle to change the policy to the 7/100/0 and he matched Tracy at Alton Blakely's price. But the bottom line is you can call Jeff or Tracy and I'm sure either will give you all the help you need and a better price than most local dealers say they can do.

Chomp

·
Registered
182 Posts
Page 7 of the HondaCare contract says "A REFUND SHALL TERMINATE THIS CONTRACT. IF CANCELLED, COVERAGE CANNOT BE REINSTATED." Since above posts indicate some have cancelled and then bought another contract it must just mean that you can't ask to reinstate the "cancelled" policy. Go figure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It may be that the dealer selling the "new" contract didn't know about the previous contract or just didn't care. Easy money!

Could also be that reinstatement is being read loosely as resurrecting the cancelled contract, i.e., owner changed his mind and wants the same contract activated. If they read it this way, perhaps a contract with a different coverage period is considered a new contract and not subject to the clause of non-reinstatement.

Any lawyers here with applicable knowledge?

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you Errol,
This web-site and all the users are great!!! I am getting my EX @MSRP in CA, this week and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These posts here are really helpful. I got my EX yesterday and I asked the Dealer to match the Honda Care 6/100000/0 for $755. They originally asked almost $1400 for it. They did match the price after giving me a hard time. Thanks
Rob....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recieved the policy from Alton Honda today. The questions I have is what is the 12/12000 ($40) and 24/24000 ($60) surcharge. Please advise. Thank you. Robert

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robbio11:
I recieved the policy from Alton Honda today. The questions I have is what is the 12/12000 ($40) and 24/24000 ($60) surcharge. Please advise. Thank you. Robert</font>
Simply put, if you wait either 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) you can still buy the warranty at the quoted price but an addition surcharge of $40.00 will be added. Likewise for the 24/24000.

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got quote 6/100000/25 for 99 EX from Warranty USA at $1168. Is this OK? When I mentioned about the forum average price of $900, the guy said they are not same. This is supposed to be Bumper to Bumper. Any comments????

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MURTHYP:
I got quote 6/100000/25 for 99 EX from Warranty USA at $1168. Is this OK? When I mentioned about the forum average price of $900, the guy said they are not same. This is supposed to be Bumper to Bumper. Any comments????</font>
Call Tracy at Alton Blakely or Jeff Klotz at 1st Texas and ask them for quotes on the HondaCare and specify the policy you want(ie. if you want 6yr/100K/0 or 7/100/0 etc.)

I think you'll find they will give a better price, even on a 99 year model Ody, for a genuine HondaCare product then what you have been quoted for a 3rd party product.

Chomp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts