Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am expecting delivery of an EX on June 13 and have been researching warranties. I have read the thread about the Honda Care warranty with the Alton Honda prices. The dealer in Oklahoma City I am buying from is offering me a 3rd party warranty (Millennium?). When I asked about Honda Care he said that this warranty covers more, but it is much more expensive ($1400).

I feel better about purchasing a warranty directly associated with Honda and am considering purchasing from Alton. I am just wondering what the Honda Care does cover. Can some of you that have the warranty let me know what it covers? Is is just a powertrain warranty or is it comprehensive? Does it cover the electronic boards and door motors and such? And what does it not cover? Anything I should be concerned about?

Finally, does anyone have experience buying a warranty from a different dealership than the vehicle and actually using it? Do you think the dealership is going to give me a hard time when I try to use it, or are they obligated to give service because they are a Honda dealer?

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can give me to these questions. I have really appreciated all the information I have found here while researching and waiting for my Odyssey.

Travis

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some information about "Honda Care" can be found at Honda's Website.

Don't neglect to use the drop down menu to find more information.

[This message has been edited by gfxguy (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gfxguy,

Thanks for the reply. I was feeling kind of lonely with my post

I actually had looked at the Honda website. I guess I don't understand if they have only 1 kind of warranty and are showing all the things that come with it, or if they are showing what comes with different types of warranties. It seems like they have a powertrain only warranty and a comprehensive warranty, and they are both called Honda Care. So I guess my question is, are the prices posted in this forum previously for a comprehensive warranty?

Travis

·
Registered
47 Posts
SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

From what I can see on the website, there's three basic plans.

These are the last three things listed in the drop down menu. Unless I'm reading wrong, they all give you the CCMC(*) features, which is everything listed above these things.

Comprehensive: covers almost everything.

Powertrain: gives you coverage for a things (see the list). While it says "powertrain only", most of these items are listed under comprehensive, and since it' a condensed list, I'd assume all the things here are covered under comprehensive. That's what comprehensive means, right?

Sentinal: regular oil changes, but doesn't cover warranty type work - in fact, this isn't a warranty, it's simply prepaid oil changes, as far as I can tell, which are never worth it, unless I'm missing something.

So, it seems like you (I, at least) want the comprehensive package, because it covers what sounds like some common defects (including electrical, and I'm getting the EX, so that's important to me because of the doors).

In the thread called "Honda Care Prices" in this forum, Tracy Dalton posts what seems like a bunch of good prices, but she doesn't say if it's for comprehensive or powertrain. I wrote her this morning asking wether those prices are still good, or what the current prices are, and she hasn't written back. But since I don't get the car until next week, and don't know what my dealership is going to throw at me as far as extended warranties, I'm not sure what to expect.

(*) Cross Country Motor Club, like AAA apparently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tracy has responded to my email and will be sending an information packet to me in the mail. She confirmed the prices were still good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did she happen to say if the warranty was comprehensive or power train only?

·
Registered
47 Posts
She just said she's sending the packet. When I emailed her the first time, I didn't know/understand about the different plans so I didn't ask.

You can email Tracy at [email protected]. I've only received the one email from her ("yes the prices are good, send me your address and I'll mail you an information packet").

[This message has been edited by gfxguy (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I haven't gotten my "packet" yet, but it's too late - I bought from the dealer. So, sorry Tracy - if you haven't sent it yet, don't bother.

The dealer offered me a 7/80/100 exclusive warranty for $795. That really piqued my intrest, because exclusive (depending on what's excluded) is generally better than inclusive. 80k miles doesn't bother me, because it's not my commuting vehicle. It'll probably get less than 10k year. The $100 deductable bothered me a lot. I wouldn't sign, at first, protesting that I could get the Honda Care Warranty for $875, good for 100k miles, with NO deductable.

I think it was after hours for him, his wife called while we were filling out the paperwork, and I nagged him about every little detail before I'd sign anything. At that point, he said "Ok, I'll give it to you with the $50 deductable for the same price", so I agreed.

It's doesn't offer as many extras (like the AAA type stuff) that the HCW has, but it does offer some of that, and the coverage is a little more comprehensive.

He actually told me they charge over $2000 for the HCW. I didn't say anything until we started talking deductable. I told him I could get the warranty from somewhere else, and he claimed you can only get it from the people who sell you the vehicle. I just shook my head and said "uh uh". He grimaced and gave me the lower deductable.

It's good to have all the facts ahead of time!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gfxguy, I am glad you were able to use your knowledge to get a better deal. I got my van last week and did not buy the warranty from the dealer. I have since called Tracy and she is sending me a packet. She did tell me those prices are for a comprehensive warranty. I have tried to decide if it is worth it to buy the extra warranty. If I do get one, I guess it will be from Tracy.

Travis

·
Registered
585 Posts
For me it was a 'no-brainer'. I didn't want to have to worry about anything electronic going out on me (touch-screen LCD, DVD, GPS, power doors, power seat, CD player, steering wheel controls, etc, etc.) as well as anything mechanical. This *is* after all a pretty complex piece of machinery.

I'm also conservative in nature as far as covering my butt so I took the 'known' quantity of a $875 warranty vs. the unknown cost or potential cost I might incur by waiting to do it in the future. For me it was more of a peace-of-mind issue kinda like insurance.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the issue. I got nothing to worry about for 7 years or 100k miles now.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I received the information yesterday, and the Honda Care Warranty looks very good - it is exclusive, and it offers a lot in that you can go to any Honda dealership for service. So if you're on vacation, no problems.

It's also a little longer in duration (miles) than what I got, and there's no deductable at all. My wife also informs me that, for some strange reason, she expects to put more miles on this vehicle than our last
. So I think I'm going to cancel and get the HCW 7/100/0.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gfxguy,
Glad to hear you got your packet and the Honda Care looks good. I am still waiting on my packet. I guess it just takes a while to arrive. I am leaning towards going ahead and purchasing the warranty. We are kind of low milage drivers so I am looking at the 7year/75000mile warranty.

Have you seen anything the warranty did not cover that concerned you?

Travis

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I wish I had it here in front of me to go over the exclusions again, but it was mostly things you'd expect. They don't cover maintenance, they don't cover after market accessories (*), parts that need to be replaced as part of normal maintenance. It's very similar to other exclusive warranties.

The reason I want to switch is because it seems that getting repairs will be easier with HCW anywhere, the AAA like features the policy has, more miles and no deductable.

In case Tracy didn't tell you, the 7/75 is less than $700. I mentioned it to my wife, who explained that, with another on the way, and with our other child getting older, she will be driving much more. So I'm going for the 100k miles.

(*) They say they don't cover non-Honda accessories, so it seems to me that, if I add a tape deck to my EX, it should be covered...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts