Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is probably covered in other threads, but I have a '21 EX-L that I purchased in March. Is there any advantage/cost difference if you buy it before the van is 1 yo, or waiting for another year or two? You have to purchase before the 3/36K warranty is up, correct? Never bought before and trying to figure out if and when to buy. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what I understand, you pay the lowest if you buy before 6,000 miles. After that you are limited to 100,000 miles instead of 120,000 miles and the price rises slightly. But not more than a few hundred. Most people advise you wait until the original warranty is about to expire. To make sure you're keeping it and so you have an idea of reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes a lot of sense. The additional knowledge - if we are planning to keep it long term and it's reliability is more valuable than paying a few hundred less. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. The additional knowledge - if we are planning to keep it long term and it's reliability is more valuable than paying a few hundred less. Thanks!
I'm trying to decide this myself. Husband is against all extended warranties, but with the price of repairs these days, I'd like to do it. We only have 60 miles on it so far. So we have a while to decide. It's nice not having to do it right now. But who knows? We could get hit by another car and total it tomorrow, so I'll likely wait for the three years or 36,000 miles to be nearly expired. We do keep cars forever.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We bought ours with the Ody, figured it would give the dealer a little more room to be flexible in the out the door price.

We went for the service plan for the same reason. Our dealer has no problem with us only bringing it in once a year so we have one more service left for our 18 Ody.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We bought ours with the Ody, figured it would give the dealer a little more room to be flexible in the out the door price.

We went for the service plan for the same reason. Our dealer has no problem with us only bringing it in once a year so we have one more service left for our 18 Ody.
Yeah. There are no deals to be had right now. I may have gotten some accessories or a different plan if we were getting a good discount. It took me 6 weeks to find a dealership willing to sell it for msrp without markup or mandatory accessories.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's been a while for me since I bought mine. I normally believe in self insurance, but when I learned after purchase that the tranny in my '02 was a very weak point, I bought around the 35k mark. At that time, 2004, there was no price difference, at least from the discount online seller I used.

I would check the pricing. now vs. later, because the VSA adds some benefits to the factory warranty. Trip interruption, rental car, stuff like that, IIRC. So, by delaying purchase, you are foregoing those added benefits for the 36/36 period. Not saying that to encourage you to buy now, but to point out that that alone is an effective price increase.

Also, for some people, most especially those who want insurance against a surprise $500 repair, being able to roll it into the monthly payment has appeal.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I'm trying to decide this myself. Husband is against all extended warranties, but with the price of repairs these days, I'd like to do it
I have been a mechanic the majority of my life, however unless you are a mechanic on today's vehicle you have to also how the electronics and
how they interface together. It is sometime almost at a point that the Honda dealer mechanics do not know how to troubleshoot and repair any part of
the CPU cards as they wind up calling into Honda Corporate to troubleshoot and replace these cards. I do not know how many cards their is in the ODY, as I know that I cannot troubleshoot them and don't want to. I do not also want to purchase their software to aid in troubleshooting as well. It has taken over 2 years on the ODYs to troubleshoot the RES/DVD/Head Unit to replace all the Farkla connectors, thank goodness I never had this problem. The price of Honda Care is not even close to what could happen after Honda's 3 year 36K warranty period is up. I am one that believes any repair done after that period comes directly out of my pocket. I think of the plan as an insurance plan, they take care of the ODY and even give you a vehicle to use while it is in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go to Saccucci Honda's website and buy it through them. They were by far the cheapest, you can choose which plan (years/mileage) works best for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my experience, Honda Cares is total trash. Some years ago, we bought a Honda Certified 2013 Honda CR-V. Well within the warranty period, one of the rear brake calipers malfunctioned. This caused a host of other issues. It caused all the other brakes to be excessively worn as well as the rotors. We took it to the dealer closest to us, which was not the dealer where we purchased the vehicle. They called and said Honda Cares would only pay for the malfunctioned caliper and that was it. No collateral damage. I contacted Honda Cares and had a long and frustrating conversation with some kid who could not comprehend that my brakes and rotors, even though they are wear and tear parts, were only needing to be replaced because a caliper, a covered part, malfunctioned. And that was the assessment from a Honda service tech. He said collateral damage isn't covered. I politely asked if he could send me any documentation stating that policy. He said he could not. I asked if I could speak to his supervisor. He said his supervisor was already off for the day (at 2 pm) and that there was no other supervisors available.

Long story short, I contacted the dealer where I bought the car and they were very helpful. The used car sales manager said it was crazy that Honda Cares would not cover the extra damage and he agreed to have new brakes put on all around and resurfaced all the rotors.

My experience was probably an anomaly, but I actively avoid any Honda Certified vehicles since it bumps the price up, but I found it to be totally useless.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You would have had to drive for thousands of miles with the defective caliper to have had any appreciable added wear on the fronts. Other rear wheel should have had done to it same pads/rotor treatment as failed wheel.

Totally useless? Wasn't the caliper and damaged pads/rotor covered?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You would have had to drive for thousands of miles with the defective caliper to have had any appreciable added wear on the fronts. Other rear wheel should have had done to it same pads/rotor treatment as failed wheel.
According to the Honda technician, it was driven for quite some time with the failed caliper before we realized there was an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts