Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market of looking for an underseat cd changer. While I am debating about buying a Honda's changer from HandA for almost $400, I came across this from the yahoo's club:
cd changer/player update xmas sp7128
12/12/01 11:10 am
i have cd players and changers on sale in time for christmas delivery...
cd changer underseat inc mount...$285.90
cd changer in dash $299.00
cd player in dash $190.25
all are new in box OE honda accessories....and they do INCLUDE ground freight...$10.00 extra for second day...................have many specials on above units and for other honda makes, and cassettes for civics [email protected]
Has anyone here ever bought anything from him? $285.9 incl. shipping is too tempting, I just need to know if anyone has experience buying from him who claims to be working in a Honda dealership.
Will Trevor match this price?
Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No dealings with this one. We bought our in dash cd changer from Dalts Honda in Canada, www.dalts.com. You have to email to find out prices. It might be worth a try, HandA had it listed for $300 plus shipping, we paid about $165 for ours including shipping to Alabama. They were very helpful and everything was delivered quickly.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
the link takes me to a personal web page - are you sure it's right?</font>

It is www.daltshonda.com

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Dalts has great service. I got my in-dash changer in time to install it for our Thanksgiving trip. I thought I had ordered it too late, but Wayne got it to me!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry about getting the web page wrong the first time, I was trying to be helpful and quick at the same time, obviously didn't work.

Dalts got us ours in a matter of 2 or 3 days. They ship enough to the US that they know which shipping company to use to get it here without delay or problems. I've had differing results on getting email responses from Wayne. For the cd changer he emailed back within hours. I emailed again to see if they had any great deals on the cargo tray or mat and haven't heard anything in a week or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I am looking at the underseat cd changer, not in-dash.
Dalts does not have special on that one, I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'd recommend an aftermarket, like an Alpine, with the plug-in converter. You can get out the door for significantly less than $285.90 pretty easy from an online retailer.

Function is EXACTLY the same as the Honda unit and if you decide to upgrade later, you can easily attach your changer to an aftermarket head unit. If you have the Honda CD changer and want to upgrade the HU, you'd have to buy another expensive adaptor to make it work with aftermarket....

Just my 2 cents...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shindog,

Can you further describe the "plug in converter", or point me to a site that has them? I'm looking for a way (other than FM) to get the audio output from a portable dvd into the car audio by wiring into the stereo.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
Shindog,

Can you further describe the "plug in converter", or point me to a site that has them? I'm looking for a way (other than FM) to get the audio output from a portable dvd into the car audio by wiring into the stereo.
</font>
Check out here:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/acura_honda.htm

www.autotoys.com has OEM changer packages for sale. There's an OEM CD changer section on their storefront. They combo the Peripheral interfaces with different aftermarket changers. Prices are decent too, but be wary, many members here are turned off by Autotoys for very poor customer service. I've had good experiences with them awhile back, but seems recently they are not doing so well...

Hope this helps a little.

p.s.- pay particular attention to the Clarion interface with aux input for your application...

------------------
-Shin John

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks shindog, but I am worry about the mounting under the seat. Do I have to drill holes onto the carpet/floor or can I use the Honda mounting kit?
Also, do you have any particular model of Alpine or any other name brand to recommend?
I'd like more than 6 disc if possible. I just do not want to buy the wrong model and have to return later.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Check the peripheral link above for the options of changers. You can also look at the manufacturer's websites for model #s. For Alpine, you need an M-Bus changer, so that limits you to the 6 disk model.

You don't have to drill any holes at all, just poke a couple of small holes through your carpet. Many aftermarket changers come with plastic backing plates you place underneath the carpet. You mount the changer by sandwiching the carpet with the plate and the CD changer's mounting bracket. Clean install, and you have WAY more flexibility in where you position it. I've also used home made backing plates myself, made of masonite and also used (very strong) disk drive magnets to mount changers to the car's chassis without drilling. I'm sure you could modify a Honda mounting kit to work with an aftermarket, just don't know if you can get the mounting hardware separate from the changer. Not a big deal.

------------------
-Shin John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts