Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda charging for "relearning" TPMS when changing from summer to winter tires

Hi, all.

New to this form, so if I've posted in the wrong forum, please redirect. I own a 2014 Odyssey EX. When we bought the vehicle brand new, we also purchased winter tires from Honda. Since then we have Honda change the tires 2x per year. We have never been charged for relearning the TPMS, as a matter of fact, when we bought the van, we were told it could store two sets of tire codes in its memory so once they were put in no need to reset. Now, 2 years later they inform me there will be an additional $49.95 charge for relearning each time we have the tires changed. Anyone else have this experience? Thoughts? I feel like this is a money grab!

·
Registered
130 Posts
You were likely misinformed. I was also told something similar by the service department prior to buying a '14 and it turned out to be complete crap. I've read in some forums that the touring elite (and perhaps the touring) does have the ability to store two sets of tires but there was never any confirmation by an owner and everyone agrees the other trims need reprogramming.

And yeah, it's a lame money grab by honda. I believe it's 30$ around here but even that feels like a rip-off. They should all at least store two sets of tires. But really, it's 2015! They should reprogram themselves without intervention. It's not rocket science and other carmakers can do it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I run the factory TPMS sensors on my winter tire/rim set up, and go without TPMS in the spring/summer/fall. Only draw back is the "TPMS" light staring back at you and inability to deactivate stability control. Small trade off to save $80 - $100 every year. Another option is clone-able TPMS sensors if you really don't ever want to run without TPMS. Many tire shops offer these. Search clone-able TPMS if interested in researching.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, all.

New to this form, so if I've posted in the wrong forum, please redirect. I own a 2014 Odyssey EX. When we bought the vehicle brand new, we also purchased winter tires from Honda. Since then we have Honda change the tires 2x per year. We have never been charged for relearning the TPMS, as a matter of fact, when we bought the van, we were told it could store two sets of tire codes in its memory so once they were put in no need to reset. Now, 2 years later they inform me there will be an additional $49.95 charge for relearning each time we have the tires changed. Anyone else have this experience? Thoughts? I feel like this is a money grab!
hi monicar,
you may want to go the route i did for winter tires, so you're not taken hostage by your dealer: have a second set of TPMS sensors (in your winter tires) "cloned" from the original ones (in your summer tires). i just completed this, and have now both summer and winter tires with functioning TPMS sensors, no annoying TPMS light, and VSA/Traction Control fully functional. see the detailed thread below:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/254769-2016-honda-odyssey-ex-l-winter-tires-rims-tpms-2.html#post1484345

1 - 5 of 5 Posts