Honda Odyssey Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Based on my reading of the thread, the problem is the connecting mechanism between the crossbars and the side rails. The info that albaby has posted indicates that Yakima and Thule are willing to stand behind their products when their crossbars are attached to the side rails. As far as the weight limit, I would defer to the crossbar manufacturer--Yakima or Thule.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the comments Jeff. The Yakima double cross product suggests a 100# weight limit when used on the Odyssey (at least they warrant use with a cargo box). The Yakima Q Tower unit warrants weight up to 150#. Just a shame that I have to purchase additional towers for additional $$ to gain 50# on the weight limit, plus POSSIBLY having to remove the factory rails in the process. But considering the cargo box is 40#, then it might be worth the investment in the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by albaby:
With that kind of logic, we can be glad you did not design the bars-or maybe you did. So you are saying that it's OK for someone to design a defective product as long as they find a way to shift the blame onto someone else! Your post is also evidence that you have no idea what is involved in "installing" the crossbars or how they are made. It is not much more complicated than installing your license plates. If that is too much for you to handle-don't buy them.
And if you don't care about them-why are you replying to this post? There are some people who will be using the crossbars. Thats who this information is for-not you.

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 08-24-2001).]
</font>

EX vs. LX roofracks/crossbars:

One important issue is that the EX 00' 01' comes with side rails standard and the LX does not. I believe the factory has been adding them on to all the LX's because demand has been so hot for the Ody, that us buyers simply have to take what Honda makes. And given those econmoics, the factory will load up every vehicle with every available option and ship it (I waited 2 months for a 2001 EX and only option I was able to ask for was "white").

Because the roofracks are standard, I believe that the EX version has been engineered down' to reduce costs and increase marketing appeal. For the LX, since it was intended to be an option and since anyone asking for siderails/fixed roof rack system as an installed option on the LX is more likely to use them, Honda planned a beefier version for that situation (I just can't imagine why they actually would produce two different versions of a roof rack.)

I live in the Detroit area and know some production engineers for the big three - they will do anything to cut a dollar off of the final production cost. After all, when you produce 100,000 vehicles (ie. a type/version of a minivan) in a year and can engineer away three screws and the time it takes to install those screws, you have saved the company some big bucks and cut prodction time by 60 seconds.

As for the weight limitations, my thought is that every car maker will try to limit liablity as much as possible. If they can get away with a lower weight limit on the roof rack and still sell it as a roof rack, they will take that option in a heart beat.

Al - I really appreciate your investigation into these issues. I don't know where else these types of discussions could happen. I look forward to more info on the this issue and others like it.

I love my Ody and am very jealous of the 2002's.

egl in Michigan.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by egl:

EX vs. LX roofracks/crossbars:

Because the roofracks are standard, I believe that the EX version has been engineered down' to reduce costs and increase marketing appeal. For the LX, since it was intended to be an option and since anyone asking for siderails/fixed roof rack system as an installed option on the LX is more likely to use them, Honda planned a beefier version for that situation (I just can't imagine why they actually would produce two different versions of a roof rack.)

egl in Michigan.

</font>
EGL- I like your logic about the differences between the EX and LX roof racks.
I never thought about it that way.
I am pleased with my Ody so far. (3 1/2 months and 17,000 miles).

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Like most people here, I can't wait for a resolution on this.

One thing I can point out in favor of a Yakima double-cross system though is, in fact, what some folks consider a problem: The height. The extra height above the roof rails actually makes it easier to install my Yakima Rocket box (you have to reach under the thing to feed the bold through the plastic clip).

No question that it is a sleaker installation to use the Honda cross-bars, but I thought I'd bring this up.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
564 Posts
Al -

Has there been any new info on this? I'm torn about buying a set at the lower price while I still can, or just going with the known strengths of the Yakima system.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Al -

Has there been any new info on this? I'm torn about buying a set at the lower price while I still can, or just going with the known strengths of the Yakima system.

</font>
Darelldd- Charisma (of Honda)has not returned my last two calls. I will try again this week. I have not tried to contact them since the 9-11 incident.

In edit- I just checked my invoice from B.C. Imports www.hparts.com. I paid 78.72 for the xbars. The new price at BC is 118.08!!! Surely can't be the same part.
I also noticed that my invoice has a statement that says 666363 is relacing the part number (604276)for the bars. I wonder what the significance of that is! Why would they change the part number if all they are changing is the price? I wonder if Trevor has a new 666363 xbar to compare to 604276? That seems like a pretty hefty price increase if there was no improvement in the product. I imagine dealers would discount and try to get rid of the old models if an improved version is available. Just wondering.

In edit again. Also noticed the "list price" on the bars when I bought them in May was $107. HandA "list price" presently is $139.

In edit: Just ran across an accessory price list that I got from a dealer when I was Ody shopping. It listed the bars list price as $149, so I guess "list price" is whatever the dealer lists it as and has no relation to MSRP.
Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Just had a "live online chat with a rep at B.C. Imports and he said that the "Xbars have been redesigned to cut down on wind noise, which has been a major complaint in the past". I also called their attention to the fact that their web site listed the capacity of the bars as 100# VS 150# and the capacity of the trailer hitch as 1000# vs 3500#. They said the 1000# was in error, but did not reply to the 100#. Doesn't anyone check this stuff anymore?

Al

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I called "Charisma" last Thurs.(9/27) but her answering machine said she was out of town Thurs. and Fri. I left my name, phone number, and topic but I have not recieved a reply-nor do I expect to. This is the third call that was not returned. I guess I have to accept this inaction as a show of Honda's concern for this safety topic.

Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
albaby,

Isn't amazing how many of these turn out to be Persistence vs. Dismission. Often they win because they don't have anything to gain or lose and so they wear us down to the point when we give up.

Keep the fire of persistence burning!

Good luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone,
I know you won't "give-up". This is a great forum on a very important topic. We got the van instead of the SUV to "take it all with us". If you find that the new xbar has a 150# weight limit please pass it on.
BEP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone tell me that this issue was now clearly solved and that there's no need to worry about safety issue anymore?

What was the Honda's decision about this issue?

What's the difference between 2001 and 2005+ crossbar system?

Appreciate any comments.
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yow! I'm glad I didn't buy Honda's cross bars. I use Yakima LowRiders and their tubular cross bars. They fit great and have used them to carry cargo boxes, kayaks, canoes, etc.

I try not to use the cargo box if at all possible due to the increased drag and negative impact to fuel economy (approx. 5 MPG!).

Due to this information, I will think twice about driving behind an Odyssey with a cargo box in use!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iss this still an issue? I have a 2007 odyssey

Most of these postings are more than five years old.

Is this still an issue? I was about to order the OEM crossbars because they appear to sit lower and my thinking was that there would be less wind resistance (better gas mileage etc).

Any update?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
albaby said:

So much for Honda Customer Service and Japanese engineering.

Regards
AL

Keep buying their garbage products and bull**** customer service.......and they will never change

·
Registered
348 Posts
This thread is eight (8) years old - maybe they have changed!

·
Registered
133 Posts
2009 cross bars

Does anyone have any info on the 2009 cross bars? Do they still have problems? I don't want to make a mistake. Are the Honda originals any good, or should I go with Thule or yakima? Any help would be appreciated.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts